🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Hi

Sponge

Reaction score
Hi i from Ireland and an a huge Lord of the rings fan.I am currently rereading the books.I'm a second year college student studying a double major in anthropology and history. I am doing my thesis on Lord of the rings and would appreciate if anyone would give me their thoughts on what they love about Lord of the rings, favourite character film or books. Anything Lord of the rings. Me personally love the return of the king as a book it the best but fellowship of the rings best film.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Hi, Sponge, welcome to TTF.
This site has been around for about 19 years, if I understand the "old-timers" correctly.
There is a ton of "information", or at least discussions in the varied forums.
Kind of a fairly large library you can spend hours and days browsing through.
I joined 7 months ago and spent quite a bit of time doing so, though not nearly exhaustive.
To use a play on words of your member name, you can "soak up" a lot of stuff here.;)

Last edited:

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
Hi i from Ireland and an a huge Lord of the rings fan.I am currently rereading the books.I'm a second year college student studying a double major in anthropology and history. I am doing my thesis on Lord of the rings and would appreciate if anyone would give me their thoughts on what they love about Lord of the rings, favourite character film or books. Anything Lord of the rings. Me personally love the return of the king as a book it the best but fellowship of the rings best film.
Hi Sponge and welcome to TTF. As Olirgando said, this site has been around for a long time and there are still quite a few original members around. There are quite a number of in-depth chats from extremely knowledgeable Tolkien "experts" here so when you have the time I recommend you look about the site. Don't forget to check out the Archives. Some of the posts are movie related (mostly at the time the movies came out) so be sure you're careful about which chats you're focusing on.

I don't know how helpful my input will be to your thesis but I have been a fantasy fan since I was a child. I've read all the great authors, George Macdonald who was a great influence on Tolkien, plus LeGuin, L'Engle, Lovecraft, Lewis, Chesterton, et al. But the Professor stands out because of the rich detail and interconnectedness of the world he created. His are not disparate stories but an entire world complete with languages, myths, legends, histories, triumphs and tragedies where all roads lead to Mt. Doom. Tolkien dedicated his life to this, his magnum opus. How could any fantasy reader not place his name at the top of their list. His influence on modern fantasy writers can never be denied. Just look at Rowling. Would there have been a Harry Potter or a JK Rowling if there hadn't been The Hobbit, a Frodo Baggins and Tolkien who came before? I say an emphatic no.

My favorite book is, "The Fellowship..." because it sets the mood plus it's funny at times. I have a number of favorite characters. Outside of the obvious ones I love Tom Bombadil, Thranduil and Glorfindel. They are all heroic characters and with the exception of Tom, great leaders of men. Tom Bombadil is an enigma, many assume he is this or that but no one knows for sure. That is another thing about Tolkien, he doesn't answer all our questions. Ofc, his letters answer some but not all. And that is one reason his writings are so enduring and why there are so many fan sites such as this one. We'll be debating each other forever and loving it.

Best wishes with your studies and your thesis. I do not miss those days.

One last thing, it's not an easy read but you should also read through the, "Silmarillion" when you can.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions