🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Himring vs. Himling

E

Elured

I've noticed that the small island to the west of Ered Luin is listed as 'Himling' on any map of ME that I've seen. Does anyone know if this is a portion of Himring that stayed above water after the First Age? If this isn't a typo, does anyone know the significance of Himling?

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
I don't know about the change, but Himling appeared in the Lays and shows revision in places to later Himring. Christopher Tolkien remarks in The Treason of Isengard

"-- the later form Himring had appeared already in the second text of the Lhammas (V. 177, 189) and in the Quenta Silmarillion (V. 263, 268): Himling here and on the map are surprising, but can have no significance for dating." C. Tolkien
In any case the Isle of Himling appears to be part of Himring. Himring seems to be glossed "Ever-cold", though possibly it could mean "Cool-cold".

Arthur_Vandelay

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
CT confirms in Unfinished Tales that "Himling" is an older version of "Himring;" but is intended on his redrawn Map of Middle Earth to be synonymous with what was left of the Hill of Himring after the destruction of Beleriand.

Aiglos

Sharp Pointy Object
Reaction score
This also appears in Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth.

Great book! Get it!

Thread suggestions