The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Ho Hum

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
Ever felt like you were tree like?
well heres the thred for you

*hides because he realises this is trashy advertisement*

well, here starts the ent thread
who idolises ents?
who wants to be one?
whats your favourite things about ents?
(basically anything concerning ents is welcome)

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Now you did it, you'll have Dain in here shortly, ranting about ents. ;)

The favorite part in ents for me, has got to be the language. :D

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I'd like to take a moment to tell those whose entire Tolkien experience has been filtered through the lens of Peter Jackson, that it was the Ents who saved the day at Helm's Deep.

I like Ents. Here's one I saw in savernake forest Ent and here are some tired looking ones in Epping forest Epping Ents

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
Hrooooooooooooooom booooooooooooooom!

Who mentioned the name of the most curious and inventive of all of Tolkien's races, hoom? I would discuss more about them, but I would be tempted to go in character and that, as you all know, is done on MERPG.

Does anyone know Tolkiens inspiration in making the Ents?

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
maybe an over-zealous imagination?
*has no clue*

and i'm wondering if anybody else pictured the ents the same way Jackson portrayed them. I didnt.... but i wanna hear others viewpoints....

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I thought they were pretty good images; it's difficult to do a creature like that without it looking ridiculous. It might have improved it if the whole Ent story had been included (which is an unreasonable request, I know), so we could see Treebeard at his home, dishing out entdraught and enjoying getting wet etc, not the grumpy ignoramus who couldn't tell an orc from a hobbit.

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
yeah....Jackson could do a whole movie focusing on ents...that would have been cool..... but i still didnt picture ents in that way......

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dáin Ironfoot I
Does anyone know Tolkiens inspiration in making the Ents?
In Humphrey Carpenter's Biography of Tolkien there's a photo of Tolkien (his last one), taken on 9th August 1973 next to one of his favourite trees (Pinus Nigra)in the Botanic Gardens, Oxford.
The tree is quite a massive one and therefore I suppose that tree could be his inspiration. I will post the photo here if I find it in any site.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
No problem! You're welcome...just try not to turn it into a habbit of yours...;) :D :D

Here's the photo of Pinus Nigra, but it's actually a bit different. I mean the one included in Tolkien's biography I couldn't find, so I post this one in order to give you a idea of the tree. Here's the index of the picture:

This tree is said to be Tolkien's favourite tree. It grows in the University Botanical Gardens, opposite Magdalen College. There is a famous photo of Tolkien sitting against it, dating from when he was living on Merton St.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Ok, I thought you might be interested in the inspiration of Telperion and Laurelin too. So here we go:

1992 was the centenary of Tolkien's birth. The Tolkien Society and the Mythopoeic Society payed for two trees which were planted in the University Parks. A memorial bench was placed nearby. The two trees are the small ones in the foreground of the photo. Telperion is a silver-leafed Maple on the right and Laurelin a False Acacia on the left.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tolksoc/TolkiensOxford/two_trees.html

[color=sky blue]For some reason, the attachment refuses to show correctly. I removed it and posted a link to it.
-ithrynluin
[/color]

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eledhwen
I wonder why they picked a falsa acacia? It has beautiful clusters of white flowers, but also has a tendency to produce multiple trunks. It will take a lot of care to train it to grow straight, with only one trunk.
Well, I believe that the first reason is that they are beautiful indeed...:)

In addition to this, I think that the numerous clusters symbolise the family tree in Tolkien's works and the dependance between his characters. After all, the stars and the Moon were created from clusters of the Two Trees and there were also their "heirs" - Galathilion, Celeborn, Nimloth and and the White Tree of Gondor.
It can be assumed that the trunks of the Trees symbolise their own "family tree" as well.

omnipotent_elf

Reaction score
or it couls just be used to ensure that the trees are properly looked after :rolleyes: ;) :D

Thread suggestions