🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Hobbit cooking

syongstar

Elf Musician
Reaction score
Do you know any hobbit recipies?I know elven Lemba; you cook or open a can of garbanzo beans or chick peas and mash then and cook them like refried beans add salt,onionpowder,garlic powder,cheese or olives to taste when your in a hurry you can eat it on a cracker or chips but for real travel lemba it put on a rolled out bisquit dough and made into a shepards pie and bake

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Well there's sort of a recipe of coney-stew somewhere in the LotR... ;)

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Lemas

Hey,
That sounds really good. Would you mind writing out the recipe in regards to how much of the ingredients you would use? *I'm a terrible cook and I need things written out specifically :D

WARDNINE

Reaction score
Harad,
My thoughts exactly. It's just like when I see a flyer from Sears announcing "Baby Sale".
You crack me up, dude.
Ever see the episode of "The Twilight Zone" entitled 'To Serve Man'?! :p

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
I would suggest to declare anything eatable as a kind of hobbit cooking.

We know they like eating (and drinking) very, very, very much. So I think anything tasty could be found in their kitchen.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
I would utterly love to know how to make lembas, they'd be so good for the mornings when I can't be bothered to make breakfast. Rather like Nutri-grain bars!

H

Harad

More like speed balls. If the "Death March" across Rohan is any indication.

H

Harad

Calm yourself, taylorstaten1

this is not the wacky substance forum.

Welcome to "Hobbit Cooking"

White meat or dark meat?

syongstar

Elf Musician
Reaction score

taylorstaten 1, I am an elf.
Yagollum that beam your seeing in my hobbit freinds eye is a plank in your own so pluck it out first!

Ardamir the Blessed

Reaction score
PoMe, 'Of Lembas':
For it [lembas] was made of a kind of corn which Yavanna brought forth in the fields of Aman
Now this corn [lembas] had in it the strong life of Aman, which it could impart to those who had the need and right to use the bread. If it was sown at any season, save in frost, it soon sprouted and grew swiftly, though it did not thrive in the shadow of plants of Middle-earth and would not endure winds that came out of the North while Morgoth dwelt there. Else it needed only a little sunlight to ripen; for it took swiftly and multiplied all the vigour of any light that fell on it.
The Eldar grew it [lembas] in guarded lands and sunlit glades; and they gathered its great golden ears, each one, by hand, and set no blade of metal to it. The white haulm was drawn from the earth in like manner, and woven into corn-leeps [haulm: the stalks of cultivated plants left when the ears or pods have been gathered; corn-leeps: leep (leap) is an old dialect word for a basket (Old English lēap).] for the storing of the grain: no worm or gnawing beast would touch that gleaming straw, and rot and mould and other evils of Middle-earth did not assail it.
And from a note to the text:
For it is said that, if mortals eat often of this bread [lembas], they become weary of their mortality, desiring to abide among the Elves, and longing for the fields of Aman, to which they cannot come.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions