🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Hobbits on Crack?????

Mithrandir

Mithers the Grand Wizard
Reaction score
I am here to officially announce that Hobbits are nothing but a bunch of Crack heads and Drunks. Yep, just look @ them they are always smokin weed and drinkin', it is no wonder they persavere so much who knows how much of the pain they actually even feel:D

I don't know how many people have already found this out, but I thought it would be funny:D :D

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
From Introduction: 2. Pipe-weed

There is another astonishing thing about Hobbits of old that must be mentioned, an astonishing habit: they imbibed or inhaled, through pipes of clay or wood, the smoke of the burning leaves of a herb, which they called pipe-weed or leaf, a variety probably of Nicotiana. A great deal of mystery surrounds the origin of this peculiar custom, or 'art' as the Hobbits preferred to call it. All that could be discovered about it in antiquity was put together by Meriadoc Brandybuck (later Master of Buckland), and since he and the tobacco of the Southfarthing play a part in the history that follows, his remarks in the introduction to his Herblore of the Shire may be quoted.
'This,' he says, 'is the one art that we can certainly claim to be our own invention. When Hobbits first began to smoke is not known, all the legends and family histories take it for granted; for ages folk in the Shire smoked various herbs, some fouler, some sweeter. But all accounts agree that Tobold Hornblower of Longbottom in the Southfarthing first grew the true pipe-weed in his gardens in the days of Isengrim the Second, about the year 1070 of Shire-reckoning. The best home-grown still comes from that district, especially the varieties now known as Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby, and Southern Star.
Now, they discovered a leaf, which was probably similar to Nicotania, and if I'm not mistaken, that was one of the original ingredients of cigarettes (they probably use synthetics now...). I'm gonna guess that rather than getting super high, it would be a mild depressant (slightly high)

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Sure, and the 'going away party' was so they could all get stoned, and not realize what a deadly mission they were facing. :rolleyes:
Anyway, just because they smoked pipe weed didn't mean they were high all the time.

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Is there a connection there? And as for pipe weed, it can be transelated into many things..

Cygnus

Wandering Bassist
Reaction score
Don't take is so hard

It's really not that big of a deal actually. I mean, it is actually kind of funny that they call it "pipe weed". I agree, it's probably tabaccoo but Mithrandir and I sort of just came up with that one day. Seeing as i'm known to make spontanous things up like that. Even so, the idea of "pipe weed" does sound kinda strange. Why didn't they call it "pipe tabaccoo"? All the same, i honestly believe that hobbits are acholics in need of A.A. badly. I mean through out the whole book, Samwise is thinking about drinking beer. And the second thing they ask for basically after getting back to the Shire in RotK is beer. Just an opinion though. :D!

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
After trekking halfway across Middle Earth and facing terrors and dangers like the Hobbits did, wouldn't you want a beer? Alcohol is not 'bad' or 'evil', it all depends on how it's used. Alcohol is an anti-depressant, it dulls the little aches and pains temporarily. After what the Hobbits went through, I should think they would have more than their share of aches and pains! ;)

Orin

Reaction score
Hobbits on Crack?

No, they were not on crack. Low-grade Southfarthing Sinsemillan more than likely. The appearant climate of the Shire would not be condusive to growing tobacco other than the type used in wrapping cigars. Low grade weed can grow on a bowlingball, however. Just another mindless thought.

R

ReadWryt

Suddenly my imagination is invaded by little round folk with dreadlocks and red eyes puffing pipes all day. "Oh yah mon, dat Bilbo gonna come to no good end. I an I is gonna see de end `o dat Hobbit, but in de mean time, who is I to pass up a good birthday party mon?":)

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
He's right you know!

He does have a point. Try hanging around the Prancing Pony on a weekend. Nothing but drug deals going on. Ferny is always in there selling his ditch-weed. Nob has great connections but he always takes a cut.

The Rangers are bunch of drug-heads too you know. They just run around lobbying for "medical-Athelas" use.

And Bombadil...jeez...don't get me started. Why do you think he's "singing" all the time? WASTED!!! You should see the guy drive!

JoA

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
JoA, I was thinking Tom was on something....Thanx for informing me that he is

hehe...

When you think about it, part of the reason that Tom wasn't included in the movie might of been that it is impossible to portray his jolliness, that is to say without giving the audience the idea that he's on something...And they would've seen how high he was and started doin drugs & dealing...

Anyway...

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
........Hey dol, merry dol, falala willow.

Definately under the influence of something and Read's rastafarian hobbits probably aren't that wrong, as we know they had long, curly, dark hair, sounds like a good description of dreadlocks to me.
And any way, what's all this business with the ring making you invisible -no it doesn't you just think you are and everyone else just ignores you. Think about Frodo in the Prancing Pony, if your friend had just fallen off a table after singing a song and been out of his skull, wouldn't you just ignore him, and say something like "Errrrr, no Frodo, we didn't see you do that I'm sure that ring makes you invisible or something, mon!"

And as for Gandalf's fireworks

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
ROTFLMAO

Tom's problem is a serious Percodan addiction. The guy does more painkillers than "Krusty the Klown".

The real reason they didn't put Tom B. in the movie is that he was in Rehab. Goldberry told him if he didn't dry out, she was outta there.
(She's one to talk, while I was having an affair with her she ate Prozac like Reese's Peices;)).

So anyway, Tom B. would have been in the movie but they wouldn't let him out of Rehab and the studio was afraid of a lawsuit resulting from his addiction if anything happened (They would have been aware and due dilligence would have come into play:rolleyes: ).

It was all very messy. The final straw was Goldberry screaming at Tom something about "Limp dick a dillo" and "Hey ho a housework"???? I don't know she get off on a tangent sometimes.:rolleyes:

Thread suggestions