🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How about some quenya?

Meliaiel

Reaction score
Maar anduune,meldarnyè!I formene tulin an omentèl.Merin quetè olyè mi quenya:nai sinà tièlva an Endamar?...
Elta nà olor...

Meliaiel

Reaction score
...hellooooo!doesn't anybody speak quenya here??:eek:
am i the only absolute freak?:eek: guys ya made me cry...

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I dont know it, but I have a dictionary for it.:rolleyes:

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
I'm learning Quenya, though I can't remember any off the top of my head. Apart from the obvious "elen síla lúmenn omentielvo" but everyone knows that. Errmmm..., lyë na saila vendë? Is that right? (I hope you're a gal!)

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Heres an odd one for you. Aut naigr aura huan
(not sure of the apostrophes etc.)

Meliaiel

Reaction score
Hantalyè,Zale!:)nàlyè nostale!
Tasar,i could not understand the word 'maryanoreo',i'm afraid.'mar' means 'good','ya'-'which','nor'-'land',and 'o'-'person',if i translated everything correctly.still i can't get what you meant!could you please explain me?...
Sting,'aut naigr aura huan' is Sindarin,isn't it?...and,what's the meaning of 'naigr'?

Nàn valina ten eldarquetil.Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar tielyana nu vilya!

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
Sorry, Meliaiel, but I don't understand a word of that!:confused: I'm still at basic grammer level with limited vocab. (as you could probably tell from my feeble effort)

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Meliaiel
Tasar,i could not understand the word 'maryanoreo',i'm afraid.'mar' means 'good','ya'-'which','nor'-'land',and 'o'-'person',if i translated everything correctly.still i can't get what you meant!could you please explain me?...
Sure, I pretty much made that word up( really hope that people won't think of that as something bad).
Estonia, my homeland, is often called Maryland(the name was given in 13.century). So I changed Mary into marya, wich I belive is more quenish(what a word!). So maryanòre would be Maryland. And nàn vende maryanòreo would be maiden of Maryland.

Meliaiel

Reaction score
thanks Tasar!:)
Zale,'hanta' means 'thank',the meaning of 'lye' you already know;'nostalè'='kind'.
hey does anybody actually know how would be 'yes' and 'no' in quenya?simple words but i cannot find them anywhere!

UngattTrunn475

O Fierce Wildcat
Reaction score
I'm learning Sindarin right now, but I don't know any Quenya. Even my Sindarin isn't very good (I must've made a million mistakes in my sig).

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
As for "naigr", note that Quenya g normally occurs in combination ng(w).

Quenya mára "good" with sense 'fit, useful, workable' (David Salo), though another expert Helge Fauskanger himself once offered its possible use for "Good Evening" with his _Mára sinyë_. Andúnë "Sunset, West" (once glossed 'evening' in Marcirya poem). Tasar is using a genitive singular marker -o to express "of" (used for "from" with example Oiolossëo)

Meliaiel, just looking at your first short sentence there :) you might want to use suffix -nya, first person singular "my". Note Helge Fauskangers plural inflexion for "my books" (parma "book") with his parmanyar.

Nostale meant (from early BoLT1) 'kind' as in "species, kind" ~ related therein to nosta- "give birth"

Well, that's some quick unasked-for and annoying commentary :rolleyes: by me to assure Pontifex I just don't pick on him :heheh: To add (LoL) about diacritics and long vowels below!

~~~~~~
Imo it can be confusing to some to mix: doubling vowels (anduune) to show length, with also marking long vowels with a diacritic in the same text.

Also, and if possible, I think we should follow Tolkien by using the acute accent for length (like Zale did), rather than the grave accent (example acute: é vrs grave: è), and Meliaiel, you seem to be also using the grave accent where a diaeresis might appear (ë), that can be further confusing; if you can't make a diaeresis you could just leave it out, despite that it might help with showing that final -e is not silent and etc. You could all just ignore me too of course :D but I like the way the lang 'looks' as JRRT wrote it (not to mention in Tengwar!)

Avoid using "Grey Company" Elvish web site in any case (unless just for fun). General advice to anyone! :)

Last edited:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
POW!

Now that's what I call knowledge. Sheesh.. :D

And as a note, to Zale in particular: the suffixes in Quenya (like -nyë) are to be placed immediatelt after nouns or verbs, depending on what kind of suffix it is. A good example is Cian's eg., parmanyar. Now I'm not an expert in any degree of Quenya, but from the Finnish language I can easily see that parma+ -nya+ -r= parmanyar. Great language, Quenya. :)

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
You guys are amazing!!! where did you learn or are learning Quenya? or sindarin?

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
For anyone who doesn't know (following on from Cian's post): for 'acute' accent, do ctrl + alt + vowel. ë = alt + (numpad) 0235.
While we're at it, ñ = alt + 0241.

And, Camille: you'd be amazed at what you can find on the 'Net. Start at Ardalambion. (PS: are you French by any chance?)

Pontifex: I thought pronoun suffixes were only attached to verbs?

Meliaiel

Reaction score
...Tasar,thanks again!:)
Cian-WOW!!!Confess,you are a Noldo,ain't you??:D
*Meliaiel hides away*
*throws her quenya dictionaries through the window*
*packs her bags and emmigrates to Beleriand to learn some elvish*:D
..i know all this diaeresis thing but just i can't make them,that's why.well i guess i'll take you advice...and thanks for so many explanations!what would i do without ya??:)(probably invent some new elvish dialect Melsinquenya:D )
Ungatt...,i make lots of mistakes,too(as you can see:) ),but this is why i actually created this thread-all those dictionaries and courses and texts help indeed,but don't you think we need some practise?...
Pontifex,you always say that Tolkien invented Elvish languages according to Finnish,so i couldn't resist to add that i found some similarities between Valarin,the tongue of Valar,and lithuanian!:D what similarities?um,well...very small ones...maybe they even cannot be called 'similarities' at all...just,i saw there some letters which are common in lithuanian and not in english nor finnish(PERHAPS:) ):the letter 'š'(for example,the word 'naškad' ('ring')).there are many words with this letter in Valarin.so,maybe Tolkien knew a little lithuanian?...:Dok that's a nonsense
So,
man noalye quetie Eldarve?sertanye...
(Cian please don't crucify me!:D )

Thread suggestions