🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How come Gollum?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
It is said that Gollum was of the ancestors of hobbits. Also, perhaps when Smeagol first went into the mountain there were other halflings around that were different from him.

Gollum also may have forgotten what he was...

H

Harad

I bet that Gollum BECAME a Hobbit in LOTR. See the thread

http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2521

and the reference therein.

JRRT could only change so much of "The Hobbit" to make it consistent with the LOTR. I agree that Gollum should have recognized Biblo's species if he had originally been a hobbit in "The Hobbit," as he was in LOTR.

Note that only 500 years passed since Gollum went into the mountain. This is a drop in the bucket as far as "evolutionary" changes in Middle Earth.

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Yes Harad i agree i think that Tolkien would be at pains to explain this, as i think he didn't envisage the Lord of the Rings when he wrote the Hobbit. i know that Gollum was very old but he did remember the riddle game- a part of Hobbit culture- so why should'nt he remember what he was.

Tolkien went back to write a new book and this did not fit in.
If you see what i mean
GGG

H

Harad

G^3,
Not only what you said, but I now realize you phrased your original question in a tricksy way, since he never was "Smeagol" in "The Hobbit."

So Smeagol was a hobbit, but Gollum wasnt.

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
This is getting into the whole 2 sides of Gollum/Smeagol in LoTR. As when Gollum is captured by Frodo and Sam and seems to be going back and forth between his good and evil sides throughout the rest of the book.

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
This is getting into the whole 2 sides of Gollum/Smeagol in LoTR. As when Gollum is captured by Frodo and Sam and seems to be going back and forth between his good and evil sides throughout the rest of the book.

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
I bet that Gollum BECAME a Hobbit in LOTR.
I agree with Harad, that this is probably what happened, yet I am not sure if I agree with this statement
I agree that Gollum should have recognized Biblo's species if he had originally been a hobbit in "The Hobbit," as he was in LOTR. Note that only 500 years passed since Gollum went into the mountain. This is a drop in the bucket as far as "evolutionary" changes in Middle Earth.
This depends on how well Tolkien followed the 'laws' of biology in his world. He states in a letter somewhere that some laws of biology do not apply in his world, because otherwise there could be no children born from elves and men. Thus, he may even have changed evolutionary laws (if he believed in them) as well.
Now if we believe that hobbits originated from men, then we can deduce something about how fast evolution occurs in Tolkien's world. Because men arrived at the beginning of the first age, and we know that hobbits were a separate race at least halfway through the third age (when they settled in the Shire). That means within at most 5500 years (probably less) hobbit evolved from men. I think at the current rate of evolution, 5500 years is still a drop in a bucket, but clearly men did not recognize hobbits as being of the same race. Granted 500 years is still much shorter, but to me it seems possible that hobbits evolved far away enough from gollum for him not to recognize bilbo, especially after not meeting any one of his kind for 500 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Depends on whether you see things as hobbits evolving from men (does anyone have proof for that) or something like the lifespan of men decreasing as evolution. If so, Tolkien believed in a form of evolution (most likely one that involved God). If those are not examples of evolution, then I don't know whether he believed in it.

H

Harad

Unlike most other things, I am not an expert on "creationism" so I dont know whether it allows for any kind of evolution. If I remember my "creation science" all the species in the world were set up about 5000 years ago (real Earth) and havent changed a bit since.

There is the thread "Where did Hobbits Come From?"

http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2025

but it contained subversive posts like:

hobbits come from doing the same thing over and over again. there are good hobbits and some bad hobbits..cheese is my hobbit

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
yes Stoor's were a Hobbit 'race', I agree with you once more Harad.
As for the theory that gollum simply forgot what he was i don't see this as right. He remembers quite alot, like the riddle game (a part of Hobbit culture), Deagol, the river, his grandmother, how he was ridiculed and driven away and also in LOTR his 'good' side.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Gary Gamgee
yes Stoor's were a Hobbit 'race', I agree with you once more Harad.
As for the theory that gollum simply forgot what he was i don't see this as right. He remembers quite alot, like the riddle game (a part of Hobbit culture), Deagol, the river, his grandmother, how he was ridiculed and driven away and also in LOTR his 'good' side.

I was just sugesting that it was a possibility i didn't quite beleive it either.

Illuvatar

The One
Reaction score
Also remember that by that time he had even forgotten his own name,:eek: so it is more than likely that he had also forgotten what he looked like before, not to mention the rest of his family and relatives.

L

LegolasLuver

From what I remember in the book. (been a while since i read them) Smeagol was a "hobbit-like creature" but not an actual hobbit. And the race of those hobbit-like creatures died out except for smeagol who became gollum.

jallan

Reaction score
That Gandalf is somewhat evasive about what to call Sméagol and Déagol Hobbits is a matter of linguistic pedantry rather than an indication that they weren’t what would be recognized in Frodo’s time as perfectly normal Stoor-type Hobbits.

From Appendix F:
Hobbit was the name usually applied by the Shire-folk to all their kind. Men called them Halflings and the Elves Periannath. The origin of the word hobbit was by most forgotten. It seems, however, to have been at first a name given to the Harfoots by the Fallohides and Stoors, and to be a worn-down form of a word preserved more fully in Rohan: holbytla ‘hole-builder’.
That is, the word hobbit was in former times only applied to the Harfoots.

In Unfinished Tales, “The Hunt for the Ring”:
Gollum would not know the term ‘Hobbit’, which was local and not a universal Westron word. He would probably not use ‘Halfling’ since he was one himself, and hobbits disliked the name. That is why the Black Riders seem to have had two main pieces of information to go on: Shire and Baggins.
From The Tale of Years:
c. 1150     The Fallohides enter Eriador. The Stoors come over the Redhorn Pass and move to the Angle, or to Dunland.
c. 1300     Evil things begin to multiply again. Orcs increase in the Misty Mountains and attack the Dwarves. The Nazgûl reappear. The chief of these comes north to Angmar. The Periannath migrate westward; many settle at Bree.
1356     King Argeleb I slain in battle with Rhudaur. About this time the Stoors leave the Angle, and some return to Wilderland.
Those Stoors who return to Wilderland will become the ancestors of Sméagol’s people.

Gandalf says of Gollum’s folk:
I guess they were of hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors, for they loved the River, and often swam in it, or made little boats of reeds.
It may be that the word Stoor was also a later invention as applied to the these southern Halflings. (Old English stor simply means ‘large, strong’.) Gandalf is saying that Sméagol and his folk seem to him to have been what would at the time he was speaking be called hobbits and the same kind of hobbits as the so-called Stoors of the Shire.

Also from In Unfinished Tales, “The Hunt for the Ring”:
Sauron’s fears were much allayed when he perceived from Gollum’s account that Baggins must have been a creature of the same sort.
Seemingly we are to imagine that Gollum, at least after considering the matter and having learned something about Bilbo from prowling around Laketown and Dale may have recognized Bilbo as the same kind of creature he had been. Bilbo (quite reasonably) did not recognize Gollum as a Hobbit.

The met in almost pitch darkness where the only light was the faint glow of Bilbo’s sword (reflected back from Gollum’s eyes). Neither really saw the other though Gollum was likely able to see in that almost complete darkness better than was Bilbo.

Thread suggestions