What's new
🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How did Sam and Gimli get to the Undying Lands??

Link

Retired
Reaction score
It says that the Undying Lands are not reachable by a mortal.

Frodo and Bilbo made it and were allowed to stay b/c they had been ring bearers and had the consent of the elves and Gandalf.

How did Samwise make it though? Didn't he go by himself when Rosie died? How did he get there? He's a mortal. Did Valar "sense" that he had been a ring-bearer (if only for a short time) and open the "straight way" up too him?

And I know Gimili and Legolas sailed together to Aman, and since Legolas was an elf, he was able to go. But Gimli? Gimli is mortal, and was not a ring-bearer, so isn't he breaking the rules a bit?

Mablung

aka Mablung
Reaction score
Sam was let in because he was a ring bearer. As for Gimli he was probably let in because an Elf guided him and he played such a large role.

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Link
? He's a mortal. Did Valar "sense" that he had been a ring-bearer (if only for a short time) and open the "straight way" up too him?
Yes, I think the Valar knew;) I believe just about all ring-bearers (Gollum of course didn't go) went to Valinor, no matter how long they were a bearer, some one correct me if I'm wrong:)

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Don't forget Isildur and Sauron!
They were ring bearers, but they didn't go....:p

*imagines Sauron being allowed into the Undying Lands*

GoldenWood

Reaction score
I heard some where that Galadriel played a role in leting Gimli into Undying lands.

Galdor

Afraid of waking
Reaction score
How did Samwise make it though? Didn't he go by himself when Rosie died? How did he get there?
Samwise left ME after Rosie died, he was 101 I believe. It never says whether Sam left be himself or not, he could have gone by himself, or he might have gone with a few elves, there is no way of knowing. But either way he got there most likely the same way Frodo did, on a ship with Cirdan.

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
I heard some where that Galadriel played a role in leting Gimli into Undying lands.
Actually, unless I'm mistaken, I believe it was Legolas who got Gimli in, and Gimli went because he wanted to meet Galadriel again. :) Very touching, I always loved that.

agarwaen

Reaction score
regarding Sam getting getting to Valinor...

But either way he got there most likely the same way Frodo did, on a ship with Cirdan.
I could have sworn it says somewhere that the ship Frodo and the gang took to Valinor was to be the last ship into the West... am I mistaken?? It's happened before. ;)

-Agarwaen

Goldberry

River Daughter
Reaction score
Regarding Gimli,at the end of Appendix A:

"We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Gloin's son with him because of their great friendship, greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf. If this is true, then it is strange indeed: that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should receive him, or that the Lords of the West should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter."

Goldberry

River Daughter
Reaction score
Originally posted by agarwaen
regarding Sam getting getting to Valinor...

I could have sworn it says somewhere that the ship Frodo and the gang took to Valinor was to be the last ship into the West... am I mistaken?? It's happened before. ;)

-Agarwaen
I had the that impression, too, but could not find any mention of in in LoTR. The book also does not say Cirdan went with Frodo and Gandalf. The only hint we have that Cirdan is gone is when Aragorn dies. In 'The Tale of Aragorn & Arwen', Arwen says "There is now no ship that would bear me hence..."

GoldenWood

Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldberry
In 'The Tale of Aragorn & Arwen', Arwen says "There is now no ship that would bear me hence..."
I thought that this only means, no ship will take Arwen since Elrond has already left to Undying lands. She can only go there with Elrond and choose to be an Elf. Since she didn't leave with Elrond she became mortal and can never go to Undying lands.

S

Samwise Gamgee

Sam went because he was a ring bearer. Gimli went because Legolas took him and because he was an elf friend. This may not be significant for others... (Hobbits seem to get the title.... More than DWARVES!) But Gimli was probably the only dwarf that was an ELF FRIEND in that age....... Or maybe after Elves and Dwarves began to disagree. Cirdan may have died because he had been a ring bearer and then given the ring up to Gandalf. Or he might have sailed away because nobody else was left that was going to go.

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Valinor was not reachable by Mortals, save Tuor. I think thats his name... THe undying lands was a place that the elves went to. It wasnt Valinor though, so mortals could enter... correct me if im wrong

And the ship that Gimli and Legolas took was the last ship. from Appendix B:

1541 In this year on March 1st came at last the Passing of King Elessar. It is said taht the beds of Meriadoc and Peregrin were set beside the bed of the great king. Then Legolas built a grey ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed and end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.
This was the last date ever in the appendix, and the last event i presume. So therefor, it is probably the last ship to have sailed to the Undying lands. But Cirdain might not have been aware of this, cuz Legolas and Gimli left from the end of the Anduin in the bay of... Belfas i beleive it is...

Ghan-buri-ghan

Pukel Man
Reaction score
As we all know, the half-elven had a choice to make, to accept their human side, or their elven side. Arwen stayed in Middle Earth and so did her brothers, Elladan and Elrohir.

Frodo took Arwen's place. Remember, she gave her place in Tol Eressea to him at the hall of the fountain in Minas Tirith.

Since Arwen could give up her place why could her brothers not do the same? There were two spots (for Gimli and Sam?) that appear to have been up for grabs.

Thread suggestions