🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How has Tolkien inspired people to do other stuff?

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Okay, I know that's a weird question but I discovered recently that my ex-boyfriend's uncle was in a heavy metal band that released a single entitled the War of the Ring.

It had a footnote thanking Tolkien for inspiring them and the chorus went like this:
One Ring to rule you all,
One Ring to find you,
One Ring to bring you all,
In darkness it shall bind you!

Familar?!?
Thought it was very cool had big 1980s style screaming guitar solos and a really heavy sound.
Made me burst out lughing when I heard it, has anyone else discovered any Tolkein-inspired things floating around?

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
i notice you are from yorkshire, so you must cross the humber bridge often. just had to do a project on it. There was a guy that came on here who had written a song about Tolkien's work, I think entitled the same.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Oh yes, I read that thread but I don't think it was the same one! Wonder how many songs there are about it?
Anyway, yes I do go near the Humber Bridge considering I grew up in Hull, which is about 5 miles away, and am in York now. I don't cross it because that would mean going south and we northerners avoid that! *boo hiss boo* How come you did a project about the bridge? Aren't you from New Jersey? it's the most boring bridge in the world and most people in London haven't heard of it!
Anyway, back to Tolkien....

Ahem, yes, there are many bridges in Lord of the Rings........:rolleyes:

B

Boley

C. S. Lewis writtings

Some people may be interested to know that in a way Tolkien was responsible for the great works of C. S. Lewis.

In 1931 after a long debate, Tolkien, through many hours of discussion convinced Lewis that Jesus Christ was indeed the Son of God as the Bible claimed, and so became a Christian.

So without the friendship of Tolkien (or some other instrument of God) the greatest Christian writer (on the subject of Christianity and Christian Allegory) of the 20th Century would have not found his calling.

orion

Reaction score
Has anyone heard the song from Led Zeppelin. Cant think of the name right now (draught#%$&). It makes a reference to The Hobbit. Maybe I will think of it later. Any ideas?

Rhumatad

Reaction score
I am in a band called Ted Dancin' we have a song called Mirkwood, inspired by The Hobbit.

syongstar

Elf Musician
Reaction score
led zeplin

in the battle of evermore they sing gollum and the evil king crept up and slipped away with her,i havent heard it lately but I think there was more tolkien terms used

Mithrandir_II

Reaction score
Originally posted by orion
Has anyone heard the song from Led Zeppelin. Cant think of the name right now (draught#%$&). It makes a reference to The Hobbit. Maybe I will think of it later. Any ideas?
Ah LED ZEPPELIN... my favorite band, too bad I was born a year or two too late to experience them.

RAMBLE ON (sounds like it is about Frodo's journey after leaving Lothlorien)

BATTLE OF EVERMORE (sounds like it is about THE SIEGE OF GONDOR, except for the part about the dragon of darkness)

MISTY MOUNTAIN HOP

three inspired songs (although misty mountain hop's lyrics aren't really tolkien based, well maybe just a tad.)

:)

Last edited:

Mithrandir_II

Reaction score
Re: led zeplin

Originally posted by syongstar
in the battle of evermore they sing gollum and the evil king crept up and slipped away with her,i havent heard it lately but I think there was more tolkien terms used
Actually that is RAMBLE ON not BATTLE OF EVERMORE

Galan`Black

Reaction score
Yes, Tolkien has inspired me to become a Writer. I have been wondering for numerous years, but after I read his books I made my choice positive.

WARDNINE

Reaction score
I think the only thing I take from Tolkien in day to day life is that I want to be a better person.
That comes, I think, directly from LOTR. It sounds complicated, but it's true.
So, what a gift he has given me (and so many others) with his words....

thoughtful20

Reaction score
Australia (no i have never seen a wild platypus)
The main thing for me, and many others, i presume, that we get out of Tolkiens writings, is inspiration. Tolkien was a great writer and he wrote so close to real human feelings that we can relate to some characters and despise others, not only that, but he writes about things that some of us want to do and what others wish they had the guts, beauty, wisdom or loyalty to do.
Inspiration is a force that is there to stimulate, or arouse a person to do something creative or with a feeling that makes itself known. Inspiration promts people to try something or continue doing something. It is like a creative burst of energy that slays all other thoughts to the task of creativity.
Tolkien to some, is a powerfull force of inspiration. Many people look at his works, life or acheivements and are awestruck, and so through song, writing, ideas or words, they express their appretiation. I just thought i'd let u no how i felt . . . thanks for reading.

C

Curufinwe

Yeah theres this little motel near lorne on the great ocean road named Rivendell. Anyway when you alk about C.S.Lewis and becoming christian you could say that Tolkien was the real creator of Narinia for you see that lion guy thing god is meant to be Jesus . When he dies on the stone table he comes back to life .

R

Rillcaller

Without a doubt, LOTR inspired me to a love of fantasy, and to a subsequent love of fantasy writing and writing in general. I first read LOTR when I was 16 or 17, and it had a profound effect on me. I'm now a published fantasy author, and I doubt that would have happened had I not discovered LOTR many years ago!

R

ReadWryt

Well I never would have written the article that I got published on the Guardian Unlimited Web Site had it not been for Tolkien's writings, and now I'm writing a good sized essay on the relationship between Tolkien's experience as a commisioned officer in WWI and the interaction of the characters in the Fellowship, as well as what the nastiest trench warfare ever recorded in English history had on the crafting of the battle scenes in The Lord of the Rings. If I get it published then I owe you all a pint...if not then que sera...But I'm not one for writing like this, and reading Tolkien's letters every day has been a MASSIVE inspiration...

Guardian Unlimited Article

Thread suggestions