🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

how old do you have to be?

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
My daughter kept asking me over and over again to read the Hobbit (I really really didn't push it, she saw me looking through the books trying to keep up with Bucky). She is only 7. I started reading it to her anyway. So far she likes it...

What is a good age to start reading the Hobbit? Is she going to have lazycop addercop nightmares soon :) ??

laura

Reaction score
My eldest daughter read The Hobbit herself at 6. She is scared of the dark, knives and fire. She's now 11. I've never questioned her as to whether any book (she's a very extensive reader) has brought about these phobias - one for the car trip home tonight. I just wish my 7 yr old was interested in any book! I'm not sure about taking them to see the movie as I think they will have nightmares - even though the 7 yr old insists she won't be scared. It's very difficult to know what to do. I wish you good luck.

Rian

Reaction score
I really think it depends. Each child is different.

I personally read The Hobbit at the age of 8. It didn't give me any phobias or nightmares. The childhood fears that I had came from other places.

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I was about 7 when my dad first read The Hobbit to me, and here I am 9 years later, still in love with Tolkien! I guess the best age to start reading The Hobbit, depends on the kid, but I think 7 or 8 is probably a good age for most children. :)

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Ragnarok,

You comfort me. No really! I am glad that my daughter (with any luck) won't meet you.

hee hee

laura

Reaction score
Upon being asked, my eldest said that the Hobbit only reinforced her dislike of spiders. Otherwise all aforementioned phobias that she has are nothing to do with the Hobbit, or any other book she has read.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Thanks laura. So far so good. She is enjoying it (without understanding much of it). We are about to set out on the journey. She liked it when Bilbo screamed and everyone jumped up, and she also liked it when Gandalf asked for pickels.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I tried reading it to my son who is 5, but he wasn't really taking it in. He likes pictures. So now we're reading the graphic novel version of it, which is pretty good by and large. It sticks to the story very closely, and uses original dialogue and narration for the most part.

My main criticism is the monastic haircut that Bilbo has!

Anyway he loves it, and really likes hobbits and is getting interested in the LotR. Especially the maps.

Rushlight

Reaction score
My daughter is 9 and is reading The Hobbit. She's a very good reader and is has a good understanding of the story. She read the first two Harry Potter books and like those, so I sorta pushed The Hobbit on her; I need another Tolkien fan in the house!

Rushlight

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Quick update:

We got the cartoon version of Lord of the Rings on Saturday, and have just watched the first half. My son is, as we speak, wandering around the house screeching 'My precious, my precious!':D

WarriorMay

Tárakaliel of Mirkwood
Reaction score
All this talk about your kids and all makes me wonder if my step mom is thinking the same thing...but I read 'The Hobbit' when I was in grade 5, I didn't understand a word the book was saying so I kinda got lost a whole bunch of times. I finally got my step mom to read it to me instead of myself getting confused.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Hey WarriorMay don't worry I've looked at your profile and you're way too old to get stuff read to you!!

I doubt she's worrying about what your reading - there's scarier stuff than that for us parents to think about! :eek: :D I remember being young! **sighs*** Just kidding - I'm still a kid in hobbit years and that'll do for me. When that runs out, I'll still be a kid in dwarf years, and one day I'll go onto elf years!!:D

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I remember my teacher reading the first part of the Hobbit to me when I was 7, and I then went home and read my dad's copy cover to cover before starting on LOTR when I turned 8. As far as I know, it's never scared me, but I have lived in a fantasy world for the last 11 years because of those books!

It's cool!! :cool:

L

loth_quendi

my father was 12 when he first read it, i think it was for school, i was 14.

jks13

Reaction score
I think 6th or 7th graders (and up) are pretty capable of reading it

Thread suggestions