🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How old were you?

Holdwine

Master of Buckland
Reaction score
Well i stared reading the LOTR after i saw the fellowship for the first time when the two towers just came out and i read the hobbit also when i was 17 which is this year

Paul

Reaction score
i was read the hobbit when i was 7 or 8 and i frst read lotr at 14:D

Earendil

The Moonglow Quendi
Reaction score
I remember i was 12 and a half. I got it for my 12th birthday and i put off reading it until christmas so it was a half a year after i got it that i started reading teh series. I read the Sill about...hmmm...i think a year later so about 13 or something.

grendel

Reaction score
I read The Hobbit when I was 14, and found it quite funny. Read LotR after that and, well, it wasn't quite as humorous. Read it again a couple of years later and began to "get it." I didn't read The Silmarillion until I was 30 and was amazed at how much of the background of LotR was explained.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
I first read The Hobbit when I was 12 or 13, and I read both The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion when I was 13. Since then, I've read TH three times, TLotR three times, and The Sil once. I plan on reading The Sil for the second time sometime soon, but I'm not sure when.

Welcome to The Tolkien Forum, grendel. :)

WizardMagus

Reaction score
I read the Hobbit at 15, in one day. That same night I picked up the Lost Tales (a bit out of order, I know), and read that for a few weeks (a little dry for my taste). I think I read LotR at 16, same with Silmarillion, and a few more of the HotME books (I only read four or five).

Lady_of_Gondor

CityMaiden
Reaction score
I was between the ages of 14 and 16 when I read them. I read them all in sequence because my aunt gave them to me for my 14th bday.

aturina

Reaction score
36 when I read The Hobbit and LOTR after seeing the movies FOTR and TTT. I guess I'm one of the oldest (if not, THE oldest).

I'm reading LOTR again as we speak.

I don't think I had the maturity at a younger age to truly understand the story of LOTR. I see SO many layers to it now. And I'm completely obsessed!

Durino Dagnir

Reaction score
When I was around nine or ten (in fourth grade). I had seen the cartoons when I was little, but I only understood the hobbit. Even my mom didn't understand the Bakshi one. Then I heard that there was going to be a new LotR movie, and I had no idea what it was. I figured that there must be books, and I got The Hobbit from the school library sometime around September. Then I started reading the LotR. About halfway through TTT, I found this great website called thetolkienforum.com. I actually shadowed it for a few years before deciding to register about five minutes ago. I learned about these weird things called Maiar (that was the first word that entered my new vocabulary), and I got the Silmarillion for Christmas that year. I've been hooked ever since.

^ My very first post, ever. ^

Ireth Telrúnya

Wanderer
Reaction score
It seems to me that all of you were quite young when you encountered Tolkien.

Me? I was probably a little over 20 and it was in 1992 or 93 probably when I first tried to read The Hobbit but then dropped it after a while.(I should have started the Fellowship first!)
But I read all of them at thirty.

Elessar II

The Clark Kent of ME
Reaction score
I was 12 when I read the hobbit and thirteen when I read LOTR and since then I've read the trilogy five times and the hobbit thrice. I tried to read the Silmarillion right after I had finished the trilogy but I got bored with it really fast. I'm quickly realizing that I am going to have to read it sometime soon. Oh well, I guess I'll have to pick it up at the library next time I go.

Minuel Lasgalas

Lilies are blooming...
Reaction score
I read the Hobbit first and then LoTR, at 15 I think. I asked for a copy of the Sil for my birthday when it was published - so that would be '77 sometime and I was in college. I lent it out after I had read it - a bad move - but I replaced it soon afterward.

My family has a tendancy to reread books as the mood strikes us... I've worn out three sets of paperbacks over the years - I broke down and bought the hardbounds - they are holding up better :)

Lady Legolas

Mirkwood Princess
Reaction score
I read the Hobbit when I was 14 years old. I read the Lord of the Rings the same year of the movie, but before the move came out.

faila

Adopted son of God
Reaction score
I was in like 2nd grade when i read the hobbit and 3rd grade when i read lotr so like 7 with hobbit and probobly 8 when i read lotr. I read big books at a young age.

JennyDolfen

The Weaver
Reaction score
Much like Rhiannon... I was ridiculously young when my mother read the Hobbit to me for the first time, must have been six. When we were done, I asked, "Does the story go on?" "Yes," she said. "Can you read the rest to me too?" I asked.

And she did. I was eight before we were done, and I saw that terrible animation movie by Ralph Bakshi sometime during that time, which left its marks as to the looks of some characters. Notably, short hair on many of them.

I started drawing scenes from the books straight away... and did so for the next ten years. :) I think the first time I completely read through all of LotR on my own was when i was 14--and before that, I'd tried reading on chapter in English when i was 13 (I'm German). I got very, vcery little. :) When i came to "Denethor's pyre" again in German, I was like, "Oh, Denethor *dies* in that chapter?!"

Thread suggestions