🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How old were you?

Elaini

Lost in Eä
Reaction score
I started to read Lotr around the same time when the movie trilogy first came out... which makes my age then as 18.

Gilgaearel

Reaction score
I was 8 when I read The Hobbit and 10 when I read the Lord of the Rings when the animated movie was in the theaters.

Jordan Thomas

Melkor’s Welsh Maiar
Reaction score
BTW, be sure to share your impressions It's always good to get fresh perspectives.
So far I’m loving the fellowship,but my favourite book of all time is the silmarillion

So far I’m loving the fellowship,but my favourite book of all time is the silmarillion
BTW, be sure to share your impressions It's always good to get fresh perspectives.
One of the many things I’m loving so far are the details we learn, such as Bilbo and Frodo share a birthday

Last edited by a moderator:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Ha! Never thought of it that way -- probably because, when I first read Tolkien, there was no such thing as a "website". :p

Well, enjoy digging through the old threads here; there have been some deeply knowledgeable people posting over the years -- and still are.

But take your time; lots of spoilers, if you're reading LOTR for the first time.

Of course, you've undoubtedly seen the movies, in which case, the only "spoilers" you'll encounter will likely be those that spoil the films for you. :D

Jordan Thomas

Melkor’s Welsh Maiar
Reaction score
Ha! Never thought of it that way -- probably because, when I first read Tolkien, there was no such thing as a "website". :p

Well, enjoy digging through the old threads here; there have been some deeply knowledgeable people posting over the years -- and still are.

But take your time; lots of spoilers, if you're reading LOTR for the first time.

Of course, you've undoubtedly seen the movies, in which case, the only "spoilers" you'll encounter will likely be those that spoil the films for you. :D
Yeah, the films got me into the Tolkien legenderium

Eebounnie

Reaction score
I was 12 when I read LOTR, 15 for the Hobbit and 16 for all his other work. And now I'm still studying all his texts. (Im now 26)

Aramarien

Reaction score
I first read The Hobbit in 8th grade, when I guess I was around 13 and read LOTR immediately after. I read the SIL when the paperback was first published in the USA (yes I'm old). I bought The Unfinished Tales when it was first published also.

I've been buying the Tolkien calendars since the 70's (still have them) with the Hildenbrandt Brothers and Lee and Howe. My son still buys me one every Christmas.

I probably read LOTR over 25 times (lost count) and pick it up to read favorite passages here and there countless times. Like Gilgaearel, I saw the animated film in the movie theater!!!

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
More new members -- this is great! :)

Menegilda, I joined only a couple of days before you did. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. So don't be shy!

Barliman

Reaction score
I first read The Hobbit in 8th grade, when I guess I was around 13 and read LOTR immediately after. I read the SIL when the paperback was first published in the USA (yes I'm old). I bought The Unfinished Tales when it was first published also.

I've been buying the Tolkien calendars since the 70's (still have them) with the Hildenbrandt Brothers and Lee and Howe. My son still buys me one every Christmas.

I probably read LOTR over 25 times (lost count) and pick it up to read favorite passages here and there countless times. Like Gilgaearel, I saw the animated film in the movie theater!!!
Sounds like a familiar story. ;)
Except I didn't see the Bakshi film until it was on DVD. Also I buy my own calendars. I do have every year since I bought my first one around '72 or '73.

Aramarien

Reaction score
Barliman, I even have the old LOTR board game that was based on the movie!!!

I bought "The Letters of JRR Tokien" that was in perfect condition at a garage sale many years before word of the movies came out for about 50 cents! I felt like I discovered a treasure!

I also bought the BBC rendition of cassette tapes of their radio broadcast of LOTR many, many years ago. Ian Holmes played Frodo, and when I saw that he was cast as Bilbo in the movies I thought it was a great choice.

Sorry, getting a bit away from the topic at hand.

I remember after I first read The Hobbit, my friend told me that she found more books about hobbits. I asked if Bilbo was in it, and she said he was for a bit, but it was about his nephew/cousin. I sounded disappointed, but she assured me that I would love Frodo just as much if not more.

She was so very right!!!

Valandil

High King at Annuminas
Reaction score
It was SO long ago. I think 13/14 for The Hobbit, 15/16 for LOTR, and after a few re-reads of those two, about 36/37 when I read the Silmarillion - and THAT was close to 20 years ago!

Thread suggestions