🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How old were you?

Phil Lewis

Reaction score
Darn it I’m old!
I read The Hobbit at 12... and that was 40 years ago!

I read LotR at about 15, The Silmarillion at ~16, then The Book of Lost Tales and the volumes of HoME as they were published.

I’ve still never read any of Tolkien’s non-Arda work, but I think I will be doing soon.

lorene

Reaction score
Ha! Never thought of it that way -- probably because, when I first read Tolkien, there was no such thing as a "website". :p

Well, enjoy digging through the old threads here; there best fire pit been some deeply knowledgeable people posting over the years -- and still are.

But take your time; lots of spoilers, if you're reading LOTR for the first time.

Of course, you've undoubtedly seen the movies, in which case, the only "spoilers" you'll encounter will likely be those that spoil the films for you. :D
Yeah, it was the film.

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
Phew! At least one person here was older than I was when first reading LoTR.
German translation at age 27, original at just under 30, and the last “new” book was “The Fall of Gondolin” last year at 62. I’ve read LoTR 15 plus times (last time a year or two ago, so at 60 or over).

Aldarion

Reaction score
I was 9 or 10 when I first read Lord of the Rings. I did it after seeing either FotR or RotK in cinema. Hobbit, however, waited much longer - I only read it few years later. EDIT: I am yet to read it in English, though.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions