🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

How the Hobbit got ruined

Aldarion

Reaction score
Basically, Peter Jackson had nothing to do with it.
-----------------------

Here is the comment I found here and which led me to videos:
My source of information on this topic is Linsay Ellis' three part video series about The Hobbit and it seems like the load of troubles during the production deserve those three part so I will just mention a few things. Jackson did not want to direct any of the Hobbit movies because he loves Middle-Earth but he spend enough time in that world and everyone agreed that del Toro would be a splendid successor for him. A few month before the shooting was scheduled to start the film studeos decided that they did not like del Toro's vision, there was infighting and del Toro either quit or he was fired. So Jackson had to take over on short notice and when the shooting began he was still not prepared. Then when the first movie was in post-production thec studios decided it should be a trilogy instead of two movies so they had to chop up and pad the material and the entire story. Again on short notice. Everything was so badly planned that there were days when the actors for the dwarfs spend hours getting their make-up done, then spending hours sitting around waiting for the filming crew to show up and on many days the crew would not show up because they were occupied elsewhere. Well those are a few points, I heard about burtt there are a lot more. The sad thing is you can see that all the actors are really into it and give it their all.

Attachments

Phantom718

Reaction score
Lindsay is entertaining and highly intelligent. Some of her views and analyses may be a littler over the top to some, but having seen her video essays on the Hobbit films a few times I must say she's spot on with most of it.

Olorgando

Reaction score
…..
Here is the comment I found here and which led me to videos:
Leads me to one of my most extreme black-humor "jokes", especially the third part.

What is the appropriate way to greet an American manager / executive (of any industry)?

Does the term "Gatling" mean anything to you? 😡

Olorgando

Reaction score
Like the Olde West Machine Gun?

CL
Yup. There was (this kind of fits better in the "What are you watching" thread, but I'm not sure one can watch it anymore) a kind of "late western" TV show, I'm guessing from dim memory that it aired latest in 1975 when I was last in the US, but I may also have seen it later in Germany - but certainly not much later. It can be externally dated as taking place in 1912 at the earliest, as the more prominent "prop" in the series was a Stutz Bearcat sports car first introduced that year. And it would have to have been a 1916 model at the latest, as the 1917 redesign featured an enclosed cockpit, while the prop in the series was definitely completely open. Its very special extra was a mount for one of those hand-cranked Gatlings of the era. Though I'm not sure that they may have been outdated by then; Hiram Maxim invented the first the first recoil-operated machine gun in production back in 1884, about 30 years earlier. To be followed by Vickers, Hotchkiss and Lewis.
Hey, I just found the TV series in Wiki!
"Bearcats! is an American Western television series broadcast on the CBS television network during the Fall 1971 television season [13 episodes + pilot movie]. It starred Rod Taylor and Dennis Cole as troubleshooters in the period before the American entry into World War I (1917)." My junior year in high school.
And browsing YouTube (you know whom to blame for this ;) ) I find the intro to the TV series:

One thing is very confusing: the MG shown is clearly a Vickers machine gun! My memory is dimmer than I thought! 😬
That seems to be all that's left from the 13-episode TV series, but the nearly 2-hour pilot movie from 1971, titled "Powderkeg", still seems to be available.
Decided to spare you the link, but just enter "Powderkeg" in YouTube, and you'll find it.
Anyway, definitely Vickers machine guns there too. Seems the B'Cat had two of them, one strapped on top of each fender …

And I've even found a link, theme-wise, to TH the movies! 🤪
That gadget that Balin fires off (maybe only in the Extended Edition) from the battle-chariot (goat-drawn?) during the Battle of Five Armies is definitely a Gatling!!! 😎

Thread suggestions