🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Huan - What breed of modern day dogs is closest to his breed.

Flame of Utumno

Reaction score
What breed of modern day dogs do you think is closest to what you think Huan to be.
I think he has to be an Old English Mastiff...
Any other opinions?
(Being a dog lover, Huan happens to be one of my favourite characters).

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
I do not claim to know much of dogs, but do you know Huskies. There the dogs that pull the sleds of the Inuit in northern Canada across the plains of snow and ice. I always pictured Huan like that, a little bigger too. ;)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I'm with you Cian. I always imagined Huan as a huge Irish Wolfhound. After all he was Orome's once and Wolf would have been a likely prey.

Flame of Utumno

Reaction score
Very interesting.
However, I couldn't see a giant Irish Wolfhound taking on the likes of Carcharoth.
I still see him as an Old English Mastiff. These dogs were once used in the Roman Circus Maximus to fight bears and bulls. Huan definitely has to be an Old English Mastiff.
But this is only my opinion of course...

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Wow, those two were really far off of my own mental picture. I had a magnificent Wolf-like animal in mind. Lookng a lot more agile than the ones pictered by these links.

Flame of Utumno

Reaction score
Yes, I also pictured him as being very agile, but remember that since he was a hound of Valinor and was virtually ageless like his master Orome, his agility did not mean he had to look agile. He was probably a tireless runner and needed no rest.
Also, he carried Luthien on his back several times and so had to be fairly stocky to support her. (Not that she was fat in any way..)
Lastly, he held Sauron in a locked grip with his mouth and would not release him even after Sauron shifted shapes, so his locking jaws imply he must have had a large head similar to Mastiffs that were used in Roman arenas to bring down bulls and bears.
Huan is definitely my favourite character in all of the Silmarillion.

Strider

Reaction score
anyone say "white fang"? that's my idea of him, because white fang and huan have so much in common, both are agile, both are strong, both are fast. thus, my conclusion that white fang must be huan, in sorts, not a strange dog of modern day. sorry, boys, but that just doesn't seem right, not the dog you so pictured.

:eek: :( :rolleyes:

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
One of my favorite descriptions of Huan comes from JRRTs The Lay of Leithian

"Often he saved his Gnomish lord
from Orc and wolf and leaping sword.
A wolf-hound, tireless, grey and fierce
he grew; his gleaming eyes would pierce
all shadows and all mist, the scent
moons old he found through fen and bent,
through rustling leaves and dusty sand;
all paths of wide Beleriand
he knew ..."

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Cian saves the day! Was that in the Silmarillion? I couldn't find anything, but maybe I overlooked something.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
That's from HoMe vol III, The Lays of Beleriand DGoeij. The published Silmarillion has "wolfhound" somewhere I think, if you mean "saves the day" :) in a breed-type light, that is.

In any case, Cheers

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Thank you Cian. I meant I was glad someone had find somewhat proof that Huan was something like a 'wolfhound'. It was the best picture to go with the stories in my view.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Agreed. A few years ago I went to an Irish fair which was hosting an Irish Wolfhound 'competition' ~ the winner was a massive male called 'Hercules' I think, or something like that, but it was fun to see them all about ~ all beautiful and noble, very 'Huan-ish' in my imagination.

Aredhel

Governor of Imladris
Reaction score
When I read the book, I always pictured him as an Irish Wolfhoound, Doesn't the the book mention he was tall?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Both Cian and I first posted wolfhounds. I actually posted Irish Wolfhound and was then swayed by the posting of Flame of Utumno. Now, methinks my original perception was correct. An Irish Wolfhound it is!!!:)

Flame of Utumno

Reaction score
Thanks for the quote from the Lay of Lethian (I have also have the same book as you).

Tolkien may have intended him to look like a wolf-hound, but I still love the notion that he looked like an English Mastiff, they just look more majestic than a wolf-hound.
I'm just disappointed that Tolkien didn't consider having him as an English Mastiff because as a wolf-hound he would look too much like a wolf and thus too evil for a hound of valinor.
If he was a giant wolf-hound then if I ran into him in a forest, I would probably think he was Carcharoth rather than Huan. As a Mastiff, he would be completely differentiated from a wolf and so his image would be much more appealing to me.
An English Mastiff could defeat a wolf any day, even if it was White Fang, and even he was defeated by a Bull Dog.
(Of course these are only my subjective personal opions....)

Thread suggestions