🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

I am reading Unfinished Tales

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Well, if you can't put it down, then I'd say it's a good book.;)
I'm reading it myself, and from what I have read so far, I'd say it is a very good book.

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Sorry, I just couldn't help it. T'was just too tempting.

But still, a jolly good book!

Elendil3119

Reaction score
Unfinished Tales is indeed a good book, esp. the Narn, 'Tuor and his coming to Gondolin', and 'Aldarion and Erendis'. :)

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfinished Tales is excellent, better than any volume of the HoME seroes IMO. I'm not too fond of the Narn-i-hin-Hurin but other parts vary from very good to superb - the History of Galadriel and Celeborn, The Istari, The Druedain, The Palantiri, The Hunt for the Ring, The Quest of Erebor, Aldarion and Erendis...these are all among my favourites.

Enjoy reading it, Evenstar373!

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I liked the UT too, but not as much as I enjoy the HOME. But you shoud definitely read it, it has so much useful info in it.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
The HoME is The History of Middle Earth.

Find the answer to your question here.

Feanorian

Reaction score
I suspicously found both The Sil and UT extremely smooth, easy, enjoyable reading. Probably because I picked them up right after LOTR and was still Middle Earth-starved...not that I am not now:rolleyes:

Bucky

Reaction score
I find UT to be a great source of extra information about Middle-earth.
Of course, I have some difficulty dealing with 'alternate versions' like in 'The Hunt For The Ring', because I tend to view the works of Tolkien on Middle Earth from the eyes of an historian. And in that light, I would have an extremely tough time reading about Trotter & Bongo (whatever) in HOME. Yet, I know that there's some more pure Middle-earth mithril to be mined from HOME despite the larger quantity of fool's gold in there.......

When I read The Simarillion (which I just finished an hour ago), I always switch to the expanded versions of the Narn & 'Of Tour & His Coming To Gondolin' at the appropriate places.

I find both stories much more LOTR-like in the depth of storytelling & not so "Just the facts, Maam" history book-like as The Sil is on a whole.

Too bad JRR didn't write the whole Silmarillion on such a scale.
It would've been 2000 pages of course, & it probably been finished in about 1997........

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
I started reading UT yesterday and I must say that the introdaction made me feel so hungry of Middle-earth's stories... that I felt 'real-world' hunger (but I grabbed a snack and continued entering into this fine world of mysteries;)). I've read "Of Tuor..." so far and I'm going to "delve" even deeper today:D. GREAT BOOK

Niirewen

Tear-maiden
Reaction score
I finished the Sil a couple weeks ago and I'm also just starting UT. Right now I'm somewhere in the middle of the Narn-i-hin-Hurin. So far I like it a lot.. I find it useful and enjoyable to learn about the history of Middle-earth.

jbru119

Reaction score
UT is on the top of my Tolkien list... I love it... Narn is the best... that story really should be made into a movie... I also liked the Istari story... pretty cool to learn about Gandalf and Saruman, and see where they came from... but definitely Narn is the best... Turin's whole life could make one great movie IMO...

Kelonus

Prince of Lenya Woods
Reaction score
So many books dealing with one worlds events. All I have is The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. I finished them all. Just finished The Hobbit. I plan on getting The Silmarillion and possibly the others.

Turin

...Lost
Reaction score
UT is a great book, especially Narn-i-hin-Húrin, thus my name. :rolleyes:

Thread suggestions