🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Ideas for TTT/ROTK not explicit in the Books

R

ReadWryt

The Ent Siege on Orthanc is indeed being shown in The Two Towers, and I for one applaud the idea! I completely back up the sound and reasonable idea that things described in the book through the vehicle of recounting, events that are only available as de-briefing and strictly narative are best served, when as involved and important as this and Gandalf's visit to Saruman, as actual footage seen by the audience. To expect the audience to sit back after having seen such amazing sights and have some character TELL them for ten minutes what had happened is silly.

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Woohoo---I can't wait to see Treebeard and Quickbeam!! I love it when Quickbeam says "the tree-killer! the tree-killer!" I hope that part stays in :D

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
The wedding!!!
I don't particularly care for Arwen as a warrior princess or any of her predicted added scenes, but they have to show the completion of one of ME's greatest romances. In the book (Since Tolkien wasn't going for romance) it was just a mention. She arrives, takes Aragorn's hand, and they skip to awhile later when they are already wed. They need to show it. Especially the kiss... Sigh... Why couldn't there be an Aragorn on this earth?????????

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
I would VERY much like to see the Ents destroy Orthanc! Crush Kill Destroy! Seeing Treebeard interview Wormtounge would be awesome! And the ghosts fight at the ships would be very nice!

I would like to see Denethor sparing with Sauron in the Palantir, Aragorn's and Pippin's conversations with Sauron! "Do you understand! Say just that!"

I would love some view from the Barad-Dur at the final battle while Sauron looks at the small army at his gates, little Gandalf on the hill, and his armies about to crush them, then he sees the eagles... Then he a great tiny power struggle at Orodruin and zooms in on Frodo and Gollum fighting!

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
The scene in Mount Doom, I can't wait to see it! it's the most thrilling part of a book I've ever read and seeing it on screen will be amazing.
Also when Sam rescues Frodo from the orcs, will be interesting to see how they've filmed that!

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Speaking of Denethor:

If Denethor's death is to done dramatically and correctly, isn't that the kind of thing that normally pushes a movie to an R rating? (I'm just asking, I really done "get" how some movies get stuck with R ratings and others get away with PG)

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
yesss yesss oh please my precioussss....

I think this is a great thread Harad. I wish more people would write what they would like to see done (not that anything in the movie changes, but it is neat to see what other people think are great scenes)!

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
The first two mentioned are the ones I wish to see too.
What about Gimli doing in his fourty-second orc in the battle of Helms Deep?

and the Ents, digging up the riverbanks to change the course of the Isen,l to let that river flow right into Isengard. That's waterworks even the Dutch will not be able to match with a time-table like that.

Pippin, taking on the Olog-Hai in the battle at the Morannon and then Gimli pulling him out underneath.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Harad,

You don't think a guy throwing himself on a fire gets an R for violence? (I bet it happens off camera, maybe we see Pip's reaction).

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
The most likely problem would be the smouldering old hands still holding the Palantir. That was not a pleasant description and I don't think they will portray that.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Remember the Terminator II, Judgement day? The dream of Sarah Connor, watching the playground go up in a nuclear enforced heatwave? That wasn't a pleasant sight. It was special effects all the way.
But maybe one could indeed turn it down with those same special effects. I guess they could and probably will. you have a head cut off and a lot of splashing blood, or you have a head cut off as neatly as a surgical insicion. I guess that makes the difference in rating.

salva

Reaction score
Geez... Always the same problem about violence and moral ratings... Well, here in Spain that isn't such a problem, because that isn't controlled at all. You can watch a over 18 film when you're still under 18, and there is no problem about that.

And, about what Would I like to be seen on the film... well, as some of you said, i would really like to see the Ents in action (this part is confirmed, it will be on the film), and the attack to Minas Tirith with the undead army, and the scene when, after passing through that place (I don't remember the name) where human spirits are, I would really like to see Aragorn summoning all that Undead army in a glorius CG part :)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Well the age rating isn't much of a problem here in the Netherlands either. Age ratings are taken as guidelines instead of actual rules.
I missed some things about the dwarf tossing during my christmas vacation. Made it such a big deal?
Between some of my fellow scouts who act as leaders in the younger groups it is somewhat of a practical joke. It refers to a never used method to calm down overly active kids.
(I once heard it was actually something of a real activity, with real people)

Are subtitles used in Spanish movies? I know the Germans and French are usually dubbed (sp?). Is that the word for it, when other people in the language of the country speak for the original actors?

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
Dunno, what gets an R for violence anymore. Obviously having a head cutoff center screen doesnt.
Good point!

(Gladiator had no sex or vulgarity that I can remember and it got an R rating. ????????)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
In the case of Gladiator you have to admit that the battle at the start is quite a bloody mess. Besides from that, I guess the mere harshness of the violence was the reason for it. Not in my own opinion, but I don't do the ratings.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
That information surely does put Gimli's line in another perspective. To me it just gave him the proudness of a ME dwarf, mixed with the humor of seeing the hobbits being flung over the gap in the stairs.
I've heard of weird activities going on, especially on the dutch country side, but usually it meant hilarious and mild humiliation of the contesters themselves, who knew what they were doing and volunteered to join the competition.
I can imagine the 'dwarf tossing' as being a quite brutal event. Sounds strange to me that the line was being put in then. PJ being a New-Zealander and all. One assumes it was on purpose then, but with what purpose?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
I still find it somewhat difficult to grasp the idea of throwing with other people. If the little people volunteered, well, who am I to tell them not to? So when it was banned, one of them sued the legislator for it? For taking away their possibility for a job, you mean?
I can see the joke in Gimli's line by now.
Is it your opinion that the humor in FOTR was overdone?

salva

Reaction score
Well, I have seen the movie in spanish, and I have to say that the dubbing is more than correct for me. The voices are like they should be, specially the Gimli's voice, and when he remarks MoRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRia :))). I dind't notice all that things you comment about "Dwarf tossing". But, if you refer to the part in Moria when they have to jump, Gimli says something like that:

"No. No one pushes a Dwarf"

Should I aknowledge it as a good translation? :)

Salva

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Went for a second time yesterday evening.
The translation on the 'dwarf tossing'was quite literally. Some people got the joke, because they had heard of this tossing before.

menchu

Reaction score
I didn't notice the dwarf tossing thing either, salva (¡hola!, by the way... *he's my friend :D ). I didn't know there was a "sport" like that.

As for rating films, it sounds really strange for me. I knew about pubs where I couldn't enter when I went to Ireland, but... this? As salva says, no one cares about it. Now you'll call us a "lawless" country, heh-heh!

Thread suggestions