🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

If You went to Tolkien-themed Party...

Maiden_of Harad

Diligere est Pati
Reaction score
...Who would you go as, and, if you want to answer this one, how would you dress?

Would you choose to be a well-known character, an overlooked one like Ioreth, or a totally non-LOTR related character like Starbrow?

For the record, I went to such a party once as Celebrian, in a dark sage green dress with brown sleeves. I would have gone as Luthien, but didn't have enough dark blue fabric on hand :(.

Odin

Reaction score
I would probably go as my favorite character, Saruman the White. Then when it got late I could say "The hour grows late!" Though I'm not sure how I'd do the beard and hair.

Andreth

Reaction score
I would go as Andreth, of course! Lots of green and blue, as I imagine Mortals to wear... I would love to be a male just to go as Maedhros, though. Hey! He was the well-shaped one, after all... It must be a lot of fun to embody him! :)

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I think I would go as a hobbit. Since I'm female, it would have to be a minor character. I guess I'd have to go through Bilbo's birthday invite list and pick a likely name. Mayber Daisy Baggins, Frodo's first cousin. As for dress, probably brown furry slippers and bright colored clothes.

Bucky

Reaction score
What would I go as?

Tenner....

Tenner more miles away from the party.....

You'd have to drag me to said party bound & gagged.

Maiden_of Harad

Diligere est Pati
Reaction score
...Now, a GOOD Tolkien-themed party would have more than costumes, though those would be included.Such a party would have authentic food (seedcake, ham, ect.), live, authentic music, as authentic a setting as could be obtained, storytelling, and authentic games (archery, darts, ect.). Maybe even some fireworks.At least in Texas, one can shoot off fireworks any day of the year (for sure in rural areas, don't know about the towns) if there's no burn ban. :) I hope that clarifies what I meant by a "Tolkien-themed" party!

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I hope that clarifies what I meant by a "Tolkien-themed" party!
Sounds like Bilbo's 111th birthday, with added Elves and Dwarves.

Interestingly, Jane Austen enthusiasts in the City of Bath hold an annual "Netherfield Ball" in the Guildhall; where partygoers wear Regency costume and dance à la Pride and Prejudice. Such events are not beyond the realms of real possibility, even with a Middle-earth theme. It would probably have to have humans standing in for the Elves; them having taken ship for the West; but anywhere sunny with a party tree would do.

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
Dressing up is not my thing, but I suppose Denethor-in-a-Good-Mood could be fun. :*)

And I'm not sure I would be all that jazzed about period food (Cram, anyone??). Beorn's mead, on the other hand, must be wonderful!

For me, the best thing about a Tolkien-themed party would be the opportunity to discuss all things Middle-earth live with fellow enthusiasts!

Oh: Welcome to our little corner of cyber-space, Maiden of Harad and Andreth!! Hope you're finding plenty of opportunities to delve into the uttermost details of Tolkien's writings. :*up

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I dropped by a Hobbit party today. The fourth and fifth grade at my school had a party since the teacher finished reading the book aloud to the class. I saw Bilbo, Bard with his bow and quiver of arrows, and several elven princesses. The paper armor was quite impressive. Even Napoleon :*confused: was there. Of course there was lots of food like bacon, sausage, cupcakes, etc. If I had known about it before hand, maybe I could of worn some yellow and green.

Bucky

Reaction score
It's not just the costumes...

I'm with Baragund on this one....

Aside from some lively convo's, what is there? And we can do that... here. ;*)

The idea of 'Middle-earth/Hobbit based food' pretty much appalls me this side of 'Dwarvish' food, like Gimli's talk in the FOTR movie: "Ripe meat off the bone" etc...

I cannot stand mushrooms (it's like eating slimy dirt ~ no thanks). And cram or porridge like Beorn served? YUM!

Or all those veggies the Elves (supposedly) eat? More YUM!

Let me know when the next Tolkien based party takes place in.....

Chinatown. :*D

Maiden_of Harad

Diligere est Pati
Reaction score
It's not just the costumes...

I'm with Baragund on this one....

Aside from some lively convo's, what is there? And we can do that... here. ;*)

The idea of 'Middle-earth/Hobbit based food' pretty much appalls me this side of 'Dwarvish' food, like Gimli's talk in the FOTR movie: "Ripe meat off the bone" etc...

I cannot stand mushrooms (it's like eating slimy dirt ~ no thanks). And cram or porridge like Beorn served? YUM!

Or all those veggies the Elves (supposedly) eat? More YUM!

Let me know when the next Tolkien based party takes place in.....

Chinatown. :*D
Cram and porridge would only be served to: Die-hard enthusists who insisit upon it, and people who don't care what their food tastes like (not me, but porridge can be good at times)

Mushrooms. For me, they're best in gravy or on pizza. Otherwise, they can be blah.

The only things I distinctly remember Elves eating are:Bannocks, white loaves of bread, and apples. I don't think that they were veggie-lovin' hippies:)

Ithirahad

Reaction score
Uh, who in this world (or any other) would eat cram given a choice to do otherwise? Also... Just how much unique food was even ever mentioned in Tolkien's legendarium anyway? Lembas is the only thing that springs to mind...

King Naugladur

Lord of Tumunzahar
Reaction score
I would dress as a Dwarf lord, of course. This means armor, axe in its scabbard, a scepter and crown, not to mention a beard tucked in my belt.
King Naugladur.

Sméagol

Slave to the Ring
Reaction score
Precious and I would go as ourselves, and dress in our best loincloth, the one without rot. We only have two.

MasterBaggins

I am Bilbo Baggins, of BagEnd!
Reaction score
Myself at a Tolkien Themed party....? I do believe I'd like to try and be a dwarf? Perhaps Thorin! To change it up a bit.

Thread suggestions