🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Illustration and Middle Earth

RangerStryder

Dunedain of the North
Reaction score
This just in.

After the Battle on Pelennor fields, the Hobbits rejoice for they just found out that mushrooms are abundant in Gondor ...horrayyyy!

Seriously Frank better luck next time, just stick to your Conan and Red Sonja thing, leave Middle Earth alone pls.

Kidding aside, on the 2nd pix. How the hell did Eowyn remember to put armour but forget to get an underpants?

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, Frazetta seems to be catering to those who like Tolkien as well as Playboy illustrated.

As for my favourites, definitely Ted Nasmith and Roger Garland. Both of them, and especially Garland, use strong, bright colours, which is really important to me in bringing a painting to life.

I don't want to clog this thread full of images, so just do a Google image search to see what their stuff looks like.

Illuin

Fire On The Mountain
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ithrynluin
Yeah, Frazetta seems to be catering to those who like Tolkien as well as Playboy illustrated.

Lady of Gondor, the third is Ted Nasmith (which you know), and the fourth is Darrell Sweet, but I could not find the other two. I was hoping the artists in the forum could fill me in.

Mike

Beowulf's lost son-in-law
Reaction score
Frazetta never did ilustrate Red Sonja. I found those pictures funny, but he has done some quite good serious illustrations for Middle Earth...no use knocking on one of the most influential fantasy artists of the 20th century 'cause he made some missteps. His Lord of the Rings portfolio actually has some very good renditions of Gandalf, Strider, Bilbo etc. I'm fairly certain the above were meant as a joke, 'cause when it comes to Frazetta, most say "even the rocks have muscles". Unfortunately, pictures of those are almost impossible to pull off the net.

Kidding aside, on the 2nd pix. How the hell did Eowyn remember to put armour but forget to get an underpants?
Well, I think the answer is obvious. Middle-Earth has a severe lack of pants:

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty funny.

But when it comes to shock value, no one can quite outmatch Maria Ezpeleta. Check these out:

Cirdan building ships:

The sons of Fëanor:

Finrod on Tol Sirion:

There's more where that came from, so don't be shy. :D:D:D

Illuin

Fire On The Mountain
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aisteru
The Sons of Feanor look like an 80's hair metal band.

The band is on the left; on the right are the groupies.....and they came prepared; just in case they get turned down :eek:.

Mike

Beowulf's lost son-in-law
Reaction score
The Borthers Hildebrandt were quite popular Tolkien illustrators in their day. You can see their influence plastered all over Bakshi's 1978 cartoon. I dislike almost all their representations, they're far too "cute" and posed...even the Frazetta sketches actually feel like they have action in them, the Hildebrandts made everything in Middle-Earth so static and lifeless.

Bucky

Reaction score
Yeah, that 'Return of Gandalf' looks like it could be wax figures in a Wax Mueseum.....

I definitely have some of those type pictures in some of my Tolkien Calendars I have (I have - get this 1979 through 1982). I believe one of those years may be exclusively by Hildebrandt.

I'll check later because the wifey is sleeping in the bedroom where the calendars are stored & I don't want to wake her up getting them out.

The Tall Hobbit

Reaction score
I don't know who the artist is, but I've always really liked the cover illustrations from the paperback edition of the "History of Middle Earth" books:

Bucky

Reaction score
Nice pictures, but for accuracy's sake, Morgoth needs to be carrying a Hammer, Grond, not a sword - aren't artists supposed to pay attention to detail?

RangerStryder

Dunedain of the North
Reaction score
I don't know who the artist is, but I've always really liked the cover illustrations from the paperback edition of the "History of Middle Earth" books:
The 1st picture is by John Howe - titled: The Killing of the Trees, Morgoth's Ring by C. Tolkien, HarperCollins 1994

The 2nd picture is also by John Howe - titled: Nienor and Glaurung, The War of the Jewels by C. Tolkien, HarperCollins 1995

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, John Howe is rather hit and miss. For example, I like the painting of Morgoth, but Glaurung looks awful to me in that second one, it's more a giant salamander than a dragon.

Lady_of_Gondor

CityMaiden
Reaction score
Wow, this discussion has taken off today!

I really appreciate all of the renderings that have been posted here. And they are all so different! I found the strangest of them to be the most exciting because it challenged my perception of things.

The Tall Hobbit

Reaction score
Nice pictures, but for accuracy's sake, Morgoth needs to be carrying a Hammer, Grond, not a sword - aren't artists supposed to pay attention to detail?
The Hammer, Grond, was not Morgoth's only weapon in the books.

Sometimes he is spoken of as weilding a sword or a spear.

For example, from "The Book of Lost Tales - Part 1":

Thus was it that unmarked Melko and the Spider of Night reached the roots of Laurelin, and Melko summoning all his godlike might thrust a sword into its beauteous stock, and the fiery radiance that spouted forth assuredly had consumed him even as it did his sword, had not Gloomweaver cast herself down and lapped it thirstily, plying even her lips to the wound in the tree's bark and sucking away its life and strength.
Also, from "Morgoth's Ring":

Then Melkor sprang up, and with his black spear he smote each Tree to its core, a little above the roots, and their sap poured forth, as it were their blood, and was spilled upon the ground.
The 1st picture is by John Howe - titled: The Killing of the Trees, Morgoth's Ring by C. Tolkien, HarperCollins 1994

The 2nd picture is also by John Howe - titled: Nienor and Glaurung, The War of the Jewels by C. Tolkien, HarperCollins 1995
Thank you.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
For me, John Howe is rather hit and miss. For example, I like the painting of Morgoth, but Glaurung looks awful to me in that second one, it's more a giant salamander than a dragon.
Mate, you and I are on the exact same page here...

The representation of Morgoth (without Grond) is quite good. However it is (unfortunately) reminscent of Sauron in the earlier scene of The Fellowship of the Ring. Glaurung however, looks like a becahed whale begging Niënor to push him back in.

Cheers,

Úlairi.

Bucky

Reaction score
Well, I guess I can buy Morgoth without the hammer, so the horns would be OK because he didn't have the crown of iron yet either.....

No excuse for a flying dragon in the battle of sudden flame though.

Thread suggestions