🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

im back, and a question

Tulidian

Reaction score
Well, most of you probably don't remember me, but I was here back in November and December until my computer crashed and we couldn't get it fixed until recently. Anyway I hope to be back for good now.

Now onto my question, in FotR, This quote was said in the chapter "In the House of Tom Bombadil" "The dark line they had seen was not a line of trees, but a line of bushes growing on the edge of a deep dike with a steep wall on the further side. Tom said it once had been the boundary of a kingdom, but a very long time ago. He seemed to remember something sad about it, and would not say much"

So my question is, what is this old kingdom, and what happened to it? I assume it has something to do with the Sil, but I have only read it once and it was very confusing to me. So if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it, thanks.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
WELCOME BACK

Welcome back!!

I always thought that that old boundary was tom's country and beyond that he wouldn't go. He is as old as the hills himself that guy and the sil wouldn't say much as it is based in the north of m.e which is now no more. But the only other thing i think it could be would be the boundarys of fornost. The old Arnor dwelling of the dunedain and men. Or maybe the ents. I think is is toms remember when he said to pippin and merry and sam and the others? This isn not my kingdom i won't come. (something along thoughs lines). That is what i think.

P.S You should read the sil again it is much better second times round once you understand it. The 3rd time is the best i think
Welcome back again and i hope that helps.

Tulidian

Reaction score
Ah ok, thanks for the help. I will probably read the Sil again soon, I just get the names mixed up easily.

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
Are you sure it is in the Silamrillion? That is mostly about things in Beleriand, so it shouldn't be in there. Can't it be Arnor?

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
I agree

The shape of the world changed so it may not be in the Sil.

Lindir

Reaction score
I think you will find the answer in Appendix A.
After Elendil and Isildur there were eight High Kings of Arnor. After Eärendur, owing to dissensions among his sons their realm was divided into three: Arthedain, Rhudaur, and Cardolan. Arthedain was in the North-west and included the land between Brandywine and Lune, and also the land north of the Great Road as far as the Weather Hills. Rhudaur was in the North-east and lay between the Ettenmoors, the Weather Hills, and the Misty Mountains, but included also the Angle between the Hoarwell and the Loudwater. Cardolan was in the South, its bounds being the Brandywine, the Greyflood, and the Great Road.

Tulidian

Reaction score
Ok, that clears a few things up, thanks for the help everyone.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yes, I would have guessed the road was a border of a kingdom of Arnor. It probably states this in UT as well, but I've either missed it so far or it is yet to come (I'm in the appendices of the History of Celeborn and Galadriel).
Welcome back, Tulidian! :)

Thread suggestions