🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

I'm confused please help...

#1ArcherLegolas

FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE
Reaction score
when i picked up " the fellowship of the ring" and started reading the "concerning Hobbits " part in the front that just tells about hobbits and what they like to do and stuff like that. Well i got so confused with stuff like thier family history and who killed what when and this happened over here in 1173 (stuff like that you know) but anyways do i really need to pay attention to this stuff????????

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
You might be more interested in it later, but for now it's not that important to the story.

I'd suggest skipping on to "The Long Expected Party."

(I envy you-- you're in for a real treat!!!)

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
I don't think skipping parts of the book is wise the first time you read it. But If you realy find it boring...you might as well do it. But you might miss something that is important for later events in the stories..

UngattTrunn475

O Fierce Wildcat
Reaction score
It's nice to know that stuff, but if you want to understand the book, it isn't nescessary. But I would read it, it isn't that long.

jks13

Reaction score
I would read it cause explains alot and helps you understand the main story.

Anduril

Nil desperandum!
Reaction score
I think that you must read each chapter of the books in its proper order...if you skip something, maybe you won't understand events or the "profile" of the characters involved in some scheme or scene that appears later in the story.

Strider97

Reaction score
You should at least read the part on Hobbits and the finding of the Ring-Especially if you have not read the Hobbit. Enjoy, The Road awaits you.

Thread suggestions