🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

In or Out?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the inscription on the ring on the inside, or on the outside...It'd be a pain to write it on the inside so outside would make sense, but then again, I've seen drawings of it on the inside..

R

Retrovertigo

"'Hold it up!' said Gandalf. 'And look closely!'
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside:"

That should answer that, eh?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah...I'd say that answers my question well...Just one of the (many) things that escaped me...

R

ReadWryt

By it's very definition the word "Inscription" means "Written Into".

It explains a great deal about the invisability of the letters without the use of fire. As the ring heats up the metal expands to reveal the letters because the walls of the thinly inscribed characters separate.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, bring in science into a mythical world...

Maybe it was just magic???

Perhaps it liked the warmth of the hand of Sauron...

Thorondor

Indie kid to the end
Reaction score
My heart will always be in the land of sky blue wa
Um, possibly by picking it up, then by using your hands to adjust the angle at which you were looking at it, so as to be able to see the inside of the ring farthest away from you, and lastly turning the ring in a circular motion, possibly best if counter-clockwise, as to read the inscription.

Greymantle

Reaction score
Indeed. That is the method by which I would read incriptions on the inside of a band of metal, also. :rolleyes:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
lol
I think it was inscribed on both the inside and outside. I don't think Sauron scribbled a few runes onto the inside of a band of metal before fitting the two ends together.. I think he fist smelted the One Ring into a ring, and then 'wound spells' about it to write the inscription ON it, meaning inside and out, while chanting the words.

L

*Lady Aragorn*

yeah, in the movie it was in the inside and outside. i was wondering about that.

Thread suggestions