🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

In response to elbereth's challenge

Sarah

Pervy Hobbit Fancier
Reaction score
OK. I do this all the time w/ my friends who are into tolkien or just watch the movies. Who do you best relate to in the story. Not just cuz "I look like her," or "i like him," but a real explanation.

Ok, I feel I am very similar to Eowyn.

She's independent and emotional. She does not want to be trapped in tradition. She likes a guy, but the guy is already devoted to another woman. (yeah, that's happend more than a few times here). No matter how many times she falls, she gets herself back up on her feet, and triumphs. No one can stand in her way.

Confusticated

Reaction score
I guess non-Periaur are welcome too?

Aule has bugged me often about joining this guild, but I just wouldn't fit in... not much of a Tween even though I am 24. :p

The person I relate to most, and by miles, is not in LotR. That is Andreth. She is wise and proud woman who loves one of the Eldar, and is in depsair about the fate of the race of men and bitter that the elf she loved chose not to be with her. He really loved her but she couldn't really understand why he chose not to be with her if that was the case. She can't help but think negative things, such as that the Eldar are all lordly only pity men, and in a bad way, and that the Valar and Eru had forsaken men, and Morgoth is lord of the world. She was a good person but couldn't break free of the shadow in her heart. She wanted hope but could not find it. Not the best person to be like... but suddenly it hit me awhile back that my understanding of her is complete, and it is not so with any other person in these books. I am very much like her. You can read about her in HoME X, where there is a conversation between her and Finrod.

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
That is a hard question for me, because there are so few female characters in Tolkien's works. There really isn't one that I could say is me 100%. I realize that one would think that I would most identify with my namesake. However, I can't say I'm most like Elbereth...even if I aspire to be like her. She is a magnificent character full of power, strength, and compassion. And unfortunately, I may have too many insecurities to be such a powerful and righteous person right now.

I would have to say I am most like Eowyn...for very much the same reasons that Sarah had mentioned previously.
-Independent
-Emotional
-Resistant of rules and tradition
-Hopelessly romantic (to men who unfortunately don't share the same feelings for her in return....the story of my life *sigh*)
-Strong
-Persistant

I also have a bit of Galadriel in me as well, where I do desire to rule my own space in this world. And although my intentions are always are well meaning...it is rooted in a desire for more power. That is why I want to start my own business and become my own boss. If I can carve out my own place in the world....then I know then I can be truly happy.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I would like to think of myself as being like Eowyn, for all the reasons stated above: confident, independant, romantic, strong-willed, determined. However, I think I'd probably be considered more like Bill the Pony - a bit scrawny but feeds up well, bolts at the first sign of danger, but always manages to make it to a warm, comfy home in one piece to be looked after by other people until someone comes to fetch me.

:D

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
This is very difficult. I would love to say I relate to Eowyn, and do in some ways I suppose. Especially with her love for Aragorn, and her determidness (OK, whatever). Still, I am not very independent (though I would like to be), and if I want something, I do not reach out to take it.
There are really no female characters I relate to. If I had the nerve, I might say I related to Frodo the most. But I am not even somewhat as good as Frodo! No no no... But still. Though this sounds arrogant, I do do things for others. Give up things that are mine, for others to have. Even at my own birthday, I don't do something, just so other people can do it. Also, I feel so sorry for people sometimes, so much pity. Even pity for Frodo. I cannot even think about Frodo, and what he did without getting teary- eyed. Anything that reminds me of him, can make me cry. And I don't cry a lot, but my eyes are stinging now. (This is embarassing). But mostly I feel pity for people who go through things I go/went through... like seeing a kid who is really quiet not being able to find a partner in Chemistry, or someone good embarassing themselves in some horrible way. But you see, Frodo, unlike me, would not talk about himself this much. Sorry!
I also see myself resembling Faramir in many ways as well.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
This is a really difficult question. I have the mind of Andreth, but my hurts are different. I can see why people are identifying with Eowyn, and my admiration for Tolkien is increased by the inclusion of this character's pain - something he must have noticed in a real woman somewhere - some youngest daughter left unfulfilled or unmarried because it was her duty to care for an ailing elderly parent.

I am the wrong sex, but I think I identify most closely with Sam, the encourager, the stayer, and the one who did the rebuilding at the end. Though even then, there are other dissimilarities. My head must be convinced before my heart will follow. Sam is the other way round.

Darkknight

Honourable Periaur
Reaction score
I feel I am rather close to Treebeard and the Ents. I'm aloof and I tend to be fascinated by history and I often look at hisory for allegories for occurences today, which is very much like what the Ents do. The Ents also look at various factors and ideas before committing to a decision. I can also relate to being Entish through my being docile and generally quiet. Although I am quiet I can also be roused, very much like the Ents in TTT when they marched to Isengard. They are also considered wise and intelligent and I'm often referred to as this by others.

Thread suggestions