🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

In TT, what carried away the bodies of the Orcs?

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
In the Two Towers, while the troops from Helm's Deep are riding toward Isengard, they make camp for the night. It says

They camped beside the bed of the Isen river; it was still silent and empty. Some of them slept a little. But late in the night the watchmen cried out, and all awoke. The moon was gone. Stars were shining above; but over the ground there crept a darkness blacker then the night. On both sides of the river it rolled towards them, going northward.
'Stay where you are!' said Gandalf. 'Draw no weapons! Wait! and it will pass you by!'
A mist gathered about them. Above them a few stars still glimmered faintly; but on either side there arose walls of impenetrable gloom; they were in a narrow lane between moving towers of shadow. Voices they heard, whisperings and groanings and an endless rustling sigh; the earth shook under them. Long it seemed to them that they sat and were afraid; but at last the darkness and the rumour passed, and vanished between the mountain's arms.
...The Death Down it was afterwards called, and no grass would grow there. But the strange trees were never seen in Deeping Coomb again; they had returned at night, and had gone far away to the dark dales of Fangorn. Thus they were revenged upon the Orcs.
The second paragraph leads me to think that Tolkien was refering to the Ents as they buried the dead Orcs; but why would they have come in mist and shadow?
It doesn't seem "Ent-like" to move in such a way; moving in the darkness such as that seems more suited for Sauron or Saruman's minions.
Tolkien doesn't actually say what moved in the mist, but "the strange trees were never seen in Deeping Coomb again... had gone far away to the dark dales of Fangorn" sounds like Ents.
Could somebody help me shed light on this mysterious band of Orc killers? ;)

Wood Elf

Reaction score
I think it was the ents, because the orcs ran into the trees and never came back out. I don't know how the ents did this feat though, without leaving a trace behind. Maybe they are bloodthirsty trees! :eek: At least for orcs. Must be some form of entish magic or something? Hmm...

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
It was the Huorns. The Huorns are not totally explained in the book, but it is implied that "they are Ents that have become almost like trees". "There is a great power in them, and they seem able to wrap themselves in shadow ...". The quotes are from the Flotsam and Jetsam chapter of The Two Towers.

Last edited:

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Thats right Greenwood! I dunno why I said Ents, I meant Huorns, guess I wasn't thinking of that name...

Mellon

Reaction score
I agree you're right, Greenwood.

But it is an interesting thought... exactly what DID happen to those orcs? They were not burned, and it doesn't seem they were buried. The Huorns got them... but what might that mean?

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Yes, the Huorns killed the orcs and buried them in the Death Down.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
If the Huorns were Ents that were like trees; then were those the tree-like Ents that Treebeard mentioned that were tended by the Ents?

"Death Down" sounds like a hill, and to have it rise up in that night probably means that the Orcs were buried underneath it.

Thread suggestions