🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Introducing the Periaur "One Post Contest"!!!!

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
As part of our bid to be a bit more Tolkien orientated (as a matter of survival!) .... I bring to you the great One-Post Contest.

The aim of the contest is to produce the best single post submission in the opinion of a panel of judges.

I will provide a list of topics (all to do with Tolkien's works), and each contestant must pick a topic and claim it. NO TWO CONTESTANTS CAN HAVE THE SAME TOPIC. I will supply two more topics than there are contestants, so even the last person to claim a topic will have a choice.

Then each contestant will have a week to prepare ONE POST ONLY on that topic, to be judged by a panel of judges.

I'll be scouting around the forum for a group of appropriate judges, who will be able to judge on the basis on things like knowledge of the subject displayed, convincing argument, insight and creativity, style of the post, wit and humour and so forth.

I hope this will be a friendly competition that will help to add to our existing reputation for fun, while displaying that we do know a little bit about Tolkien too!;)

OK... so who is game? I'll allow a week for us to get as many contestants as possible, and assuming that we have more than one person entering (!!) I'll post up the topics.

The topics themselves will be quite varied in nature, which I hope will add to the unique character of this contest.

Roll up! Roll up!!:D

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Hook me up, snaga dearest.

This sounds quite interesting.

EDIT: Took out a cute little term of endearment at poor ickle Thol's request. :D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Yay!!! We have a contest.... :D

Anyone else?? Don't be shy....;)

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Is there a word limit to this post? Otherwise some people could just write an essay on the subject. Or maybe that's the idea :confused: . Anyhoo, I'm up for it! :D Like I don't have anything better to do (like an exam in a week :rolleyes: )

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
The limit for a post is 10,000 characters so I guess that equates to a 2,000 words limit, or thereabouts. Yes, I guess you could write a short essay in that time, and if that is the most appropriate response to the chosen topic then that's perfectly ok.

But I will tell you now, that not all of the topics will require an essay/debate style response. Some will be more creative in nature.

The judges will be looking for style as well as content - the 'best' post isnt always the longest, or indeed the most scholarly. I still have to work out the exact mechanism for judging. I am going to appoint a panel of 5 judges (4 + me... I have 3 agreed so far). Depending on how many entrants there are I could ask each to just vote for their favourite. But if there arent more judges than contestants that might not work, in which case I'll work out some sort of grading system I guess.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Yeah- me too...(although my first exam is still 2 weeks away).

Now what will I be doing on Friday....
*thinks*
Ah, yes- my Faculty Sundowner, and Guild Disorientation. :D I'll be getting myself sloshed :D
I'll be thinking of you sitting in that cramped, stuffy exam room, and feeling sorry for you...

You know I wont ;) :p

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
LOL :)

I'm finished at 11am, so I'm planning on "celebrating" in my customary way until the Scotland vs Fiji match - at 5am the next day :D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I was going to give it a week to allow people to join. But probably everyone who is going to join has done so, so lets start now.:)

OK the contestants are:

Aule
Bethelarien
Celebthol
Legolam.

Here are your topics:

1. "Men were the worst enemies of the Ents." Evaluate this statement.

2. Many characters in Tolkien's writings are seen to enjoy pipe-weed. In the Lord of the Rings movies, is Peter Jackson irresponsible to remain faithful to this, given modern understanding of the health effects of smoking?

3. Sam Gamgee recites two verses of The Fall of Gil-Galad. Continue the poem, composing at least three further verses.

4. Write your own account of the Battle of Greenfields, TA 2747, in which Bandobras Took defeats the invading orcs.

5. Who had a greater cause for despair, Turin or Denethor?

6. Was Saruman realistic in his plans to become the new Ring-lord?

Remember this is a battle of style AND substance. So choose carefully!

But you must STAKE YOUR CLAIM for your topic as soon as possible, before anyone else does, because no two people can have the same topic.

OK... you have a week to post your one post... best of luck and have fun!!!!:D

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Well #1 isn't true (I'll be impressed if someone can convince me otherwise), so I'll choose #4.

"Write your own account of the Battle of Greenfields, TA 2747, in which Bandobras Took defeats the invading orcs."

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I'm going to choose number 6 I think. And I think I'll write it between close of the pubs on Friday night and the Scotland match at 5am on Saturday (I need something to do!) :D

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Okay, heres my answer to question 2. (and a lil more *cough*NĂłm*cough*)

2. Many characters in Tolkien's writings are seen to enjoy pipe-weed. In the Lord of the Rings movies, is Peter Jackson irresponsible to remain faithful to this, given modern understanding of the health effects of smoking?

No, Peter Jackson is NOT irresponsible for putting the smoking in the Lord Of The Rings films (at one point they were making Gandalf suck toffees for crying out loud). Peter Jackson has made so many changes already such as:

- No Gildor (Nom ;))
- No Old Forest
- No Tom Bombadil
- No Glorfindel
- Elves at Helms Deep
- The Ents choosing NOT to go to war
- Bad Faramir

E.T.C.

If PJ had made any other change and one so durastic the film would not longer be legable as Lord Of The Rings (it barely is anyway), it would be some other film which shared the same name.
It is a small thing maybe, but it was a very Mr Tolkien thing, as he was a pipe smoker aswell, and it was a good connection of Mr Tolkien to his works.
There is the speculation that it was advertising smoking, but I disagree, it was showing the true charaters being true to who and what they were. I for one did not come out wanting to smoke a pipe after viewing the film, :rolleyes: only an idiot would.

A story for NĂłm. . . *angelic smile*

<edited by Tal>

<With thanx for Aulë who insrtructed me on exactly what to write>

:D:D:D

Sorry guys, that was a little too much for a PG board...

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Well it was within his 'one post' so it would be allowed except that when the judges come to consider their verdicts they won't be able to see that florid prose style of Thol. Shame!:p

The extra day will be fine. I'm not going to be too strict with this contest. Perhaps we might yet get a post from Beth although she seems somewhat absent from the forum.:(

Thread suggestions