🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Introducing the Periaur "One Post Contest"!!!!

Confusticated

Reaction score
Originally posted by snaga1
Well it was within his 'one post' so it would be allowed except that when the judges come to consider their verdicts they won't be able to see that florid prose style of Thol. Shame!:p
Well I saw it :D... does that mean I take it into consideration when judging?

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I have to direct you to disregard it. If you can. Take a cold shower before you vote!:D

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
lol- I'll email you a screenshot :p

And don't worry: you're not the only one who is being lazy about this thing. :D

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Ya no, i think i should win on the grounds that IM THE ONLY PERSON TO POST!!! ;)

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Could I possibly post tomorrow or later tonight? I completely forgot about this (along with a long list of many other things. :( Sorry.)

If so, I pick #5.

If not, congratulations to Thol. :D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Sure thing Beth... I know you've been busy and since noone other than Thol is observing the deadline....:rolleyes:

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
*walks around chanting

"I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!"

over and over again*

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Not so fast, ickle Thol. Here's my entry.

#5: Who had a greater cause for despair, Turin or Denethor?

Turin had a greater cause for despair, for three reasons.

1) The Curse of Morgoth.
Then Morgoth cursed Hurin and Morwen and their offspring, and set a doom upon them of darkness and sorrow… [The Silmarillion, Of the Fifth Battle]
Throughout all the Tale of the Children of Hurin, we see the effects of this curse of Morgoth. As we know, Morgoth was himself one of the Valar, albeit a fallen one. The fulfillment of this curse can be likened to the fulfillment of the Doom of Mandos upon the rebellious Noldor. Both dooms, or curses, were uttered by a Vala, and both were fulfilled. Turin knew of his doom, the knowledge of which is reflected in the name he took, Turambar (Master of Doom). This was a cause of despair.

2) Those he loved most dearly were taken from him in one way or another.

a) His father-taken during the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, and never again seen by him.
b) Lalaith-his sister, slain by a pestilence sent from Angband, whom he dearly loved.
c) Morwen and Nienor-these he lost when Morwen sent him to Doriath.
d)Thingol-his foster father, whom he loved, he lost after the episode with Saeros.
e) Beleg-his beloved friend, whom he mistook for an enemy and slew. What a terrible thing to live with on your conscience, the murder of your best friend. And finally,
f) Finduilas-she loved him, though he did not return her love. He abandoned her, and she was killed.

Having these many tragedies in his life, who could claim he did not have just cause for despair? Yes, and even a greater cause than Denethor of Gondor. But it gets even better.

3) Turin's discovery of Niniel Nienor's true identity. Albeit, this discovery took place shortly before he ended his own life; but let us reflect on his relationship with Niniel. They loved each other, and were married. He had taken her in and cared for her even before that. He loved her deeply. Upon learning of her identity, Turin "heard the feet of his doom overtaking him…" He knew the revolting thing he had done. Because of this new knowledge, he fled to Cabed-en-Aras, where he slew himself with Gurthang.

These three factors not only give Turin greater cause for despair than Denethor, but create in him perhaps the most pitiable character in the all the tales of Tolkien.

My apologies for my tardiness. :D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Thanks Beth.:)

Right... I am going to call time on this contest in 24 hours time. Legolam and Aule.... pull out thy fingers!;)

I will also be directing the judges to give Thol extra credit for being on time.:rolleyes:

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Well, piffle to that.

I would argue with you, but I happen to think it's only fair for my slacking.

It's okay, I'll still kick his bootie. :D

(Fake overconfidence has always helped me feel better in the past.;))

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Nah- I'm not going to be able to get it done. I've got very little spare time because of upcoming exams (I have a nice Biometrics one tomorrow), and any attempt I made with the time available wouldn't do the topic justice.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I'm really sorry, I'm so busy too. I don't think I'm going to be able to contribute to this :)( :( :( ). I just can't commit the time right now, especially as I'm now involved in this debate (and I'm desperate to actually contribute this time).

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
I cant believe you guys, you all suck, you call yourself members?! BAH! I feel insulted!! ;) :D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I was ... delayed.:p

I have PMed the esteemed panel and requested their votes. The judges are Nom, Ancalagon, Baragund, Ithryluin and myself.

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My thanks to Snaga for inviting this senior citizen to visit with you youngsters:)

Well, maybe if I had a chance to see the censored part of 'Thol's post I would think differently, but I have to say Beth made the better post. It was well researched and thoughfully written.

I happen to agree with 'Thol's position that it was not irresponsible to portray smoking in the films the way it was, but he should have spent less time bashing the filmakers about other stuff and more time developing his argument that links JRRT's love for a good pipe with his portrayal of pipeweed in the books.

As an aside, there was a spike in the popularity of LOTR and The Hobbit in the late '60s and early '70s. A lot of the hippy culture at that time saw pipeweed as an allegory to marijuana. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!:D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
He said Beth made the better post.:)

My verdict:

A tough call.

Good tries from both contestants, but I am sure there was more to be had from both of you. Beth you did a good job of telling us why Turin was right to despair, but you really needed to compare his reasons to those of Denethor. Remember in this contest there is noone else to argue against, so showing a rounded view is important.:)

Thol: a very debatable argument. You argue that PJ had made too many changes already. But by the same token, in that case why stop there? Would the absence of pipe-weed have been such a horrible absence? Just points to consider. I think you could have done more. But on the other hand you did at least look at one reason why pipe-smoking should not have been included (that it could encourage smoking) and presented a counter-argument of sorts.

For that reason, I will give Thol my vote.:)

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
I think ThĂ´l took slightly the wrong tack in the first half of his post, but I ended up agreeing with him. I wish he had elaborated on the topic more, perhaps including a comparison of how tobacco was viewed back then, and what we learned about it in 'modern' days...

Beth divided her post into three parts and argued each nicely, though I agree with Snags that she should have snuck more of Denethor in there somewhere.

I declare Bethelarien the victor. I feel her post was closer to what this contest is about.

But congrats to both of you!

Snaga, I hope this isn't the first and last contest of this sort you'll be hosting. It would sure be even more fun with a few additional contestants. *scolds Aulë and Legolam* ;)

Thread suggestions