🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

is Palantari = television???

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
if JRR had visualised what television could be like, then he was a real genius!!! Read what Gandalf writes about the palantirs in LOTR and u will see television:

1. they cant lie
2. but they can be used to show what the person controlling it wants you to see

the palantirs are a description of the cameras and surveillence equipement used to record motion, and far away events

ie. propaganda, and surveillance

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Lilhobo, your two points
1. They can't lie
2. They can be used to show what the person controlling it wants you to see
..sort of contradict eachother. Sencorship and corruption of visual image and general tone is very possible, and is even frequent in everyday life (heh, I've just watched 'The Insider'). The 'person controlling it' is obviously the news reporters and their officials, and they can indeed twist the news to make them seem like what they aren't, often to achieve their own goals. But hey, this is Russell Crowe and Al Pacino speaking, so ask them. :D
I think there may have been some kind of televisions at the time Tolkien wrote his stuff, at the time around the Second World War; but I doubt the Master, although given his amazing imagination, would foresee such a radical advancement. Unless he is the direct decendant of Nostradamus.

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Yes, well seeing as how the first iconoscope (predecessor to the kinescope/cathode ray tube) was invented in 1923, I suspect that the good professor had a fair idea of the possibilities of television even in the earlier stages of his work.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Remember that there is film. People would go to cinemas to obviously see films, but they would also be treated to news reels and the like, and that is pretty similar to television in many respects, and i imagine some of those reports shown would also distorted - war propaganda etc

But we're forgetting that with the palantirs both sides could essentially see each other and communicate.. so maybe JRR was really aiming for video phones?!

:D

Glaurung

Reaction score
I don't know if the palantari represent TV specifically, but they might represent humanity's dependence on technology to solve their problems for them, while it just ends up enslaving them. Actually the One ring could be a metaphor for modern tech. as well. Sauron made the ring to improve his standard of living, but went all crazy when he lost it. The ring, like tech., corrupts the masses with the promise of power, while making them dependent on it. Knowing Tolkien as an avid environmentalist, I wouldn't say this is much of a stretch.

H

Harad

The ring, like tech., corrupts the masses
Sure. I suppose modern medicine developed with technology also is a corrupting influence since it allows all those otherwise bad people in the "masses" to keep living.

Do people understand that "demon" technology is why the world is able to sustain 6+ billion people? Most religions of the world think the more the merrier. And if you think the world is overcrowded with those 6 billion people--which of those do you want to get rid of?

Glaurung

Reaction score
Sure. I suppose modern medicine developed with technology also is a corrupting influence since it allows all those otherwise bad people in the "masses" to keep living.
Do people understand that "demon" technology is why the world is able to sustain 6+ billion people? Most religions of the world think the more the merrier. And if you think the world is overcrowded with those 6 billion people--which of those do you want to get rid of?

Technology is a gift from Satan, the father of lies. He wishes us to grow complacent in our sloth. He wishes us to have the ability to rape GOD's green earth and pollute the water and air with roads and factories. He wishes us to fill our children's mind with commercial garbage while vegetating in front of the "devil boxes" that act as their surrogate mothers. Technology allows governments to cowardly kill innocents from afar with missiles, without said innocents being able to even see the faces of their attackers. When the time comes, at the END OF DAYS, the tech demons will be struck down. Once again we shall tend flocks of sheep in the hills and spin yarn from their wool.
Yea! Praise the Lord! Fear his righteous anger!

H

Harad

Technology is a gift from Satan, the father of lies.
Good joke to post this on an internet Web site, the height of modern information technology. If one hates technology and keeps using it...hmmm....

Atticus

Reaction score
I hate it when nearly every Post here is turned into a religous discussion. Some of the posts require it......but now this?

Glaurung

Reaction score
Come on guys, you didn't really think my fundamentalist diatribe was serious did you? I was just playing the role that Harad would have me play...

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Interesting points about TV/palantir but i can't help thinking no. In the UK TV has been going since the 1920's, with only a brief hiatus for the war. And, as has been mentioned, television is a one way medium a palantir is two way, making it more akin to the internet.

Thread suggestions