🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Is Sauron invisible?

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Sauron invisible?!

Really,why not?Why isn't he invisible (in the movie) when he wears the Ring in the great battle?
There's a probable answer-to provide the Good Guys a chance for a survival.:) Any suggestions?

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
If I remember right, Sauron was a Maiar. He was the creator of this ring. You shouldn't expect that it has the same effect on him as it has on other creatures like hobbits. After all, Tom Bombadil didn't become invinsible after wearing the ring (but that's another story). The effects of the ring vary between characters and creatures I guess.

Strider97

Reaction score
in one of Tolkiens letters he talks about the rings subsidiary power to turn mortals invisible. Since he is a maiar the ring does not have that effect on Sauron.

Nazgul_Lord

Reaction score
Exactly, being an immortal Maiar and the ring's creator, it is not surprising that it does not turn him invisible. But, what if it had. Now that is a scary thought.

tyeruler

Reaction score
I had the exact same question......if all the wearers of the ring are invisable how come Sauron himself wasn't invisable????? Makes you wonder if Tolkien realized what we do???

tyeruler

Reaction score
is Sauron invisable?

If everyone who wears the ring are invisable......was the Dark Lord also invisable??? Or could he control the rings power to an extent of not being invisable???

Please just give me your input and thoughts

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
No. Sauron is not invisible and neither are any Eldar who were the Rings. It allows one to reside in the spirit world and since the Eldar already reside both in the spirit world and the physical world, they are not made invisible. It also doesn't effect dwarves in that way, perhaps because being made by Aule, they have some resistance to the will and domination of others. It seems to only effect man and the offshoots of Man with invisibility.

I'm at work and don't have time to search for the exact quote but if you'll do a search on "Ring and invisible", I'm sure you'll find other threads where this has been discussed and resolved.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Ah, I see there are some nits to pick!
First of all, I shouldn't have to say this: Nazgul_Lord and Anarchist, it's Maiar for PLURAL, and Maia for SINGULAR! Sheesh. :D
And yes, it's spelt 'invisible', not 'invisable'.
The nitpicker has left the building. :)

Grond I think those are some pretty insightful ideas. I have read somewhere that both Elves and Maiar live in the Seen and Unseen worlds at the same time. And as Sauron was a very powerful Maia, he did too. And Tom.. well, just don't blow a fuse trying to figure that one out.
If the wielder is already half-invisible (in a sense, not some freakish floating figure), the Ring does not make him invisible. But creatures like Men, Hobbits and..Gollum are 100% in the Seen world, and therefore they do turn invisible. I'm not sure about Elves, though. I don't think an Elf has ever worn the One Ring..

Thread suggestions