🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Is this true about Neville Coghill?

Student of Tolkien

Reaction score
I recently read that Coghill's Christianity influenced C. S. Lewis early on. I have also heard that Coghill was privately homosexual. Is this true? Any evidence for or against?

Kolbitar

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've read The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, but that compendium provides a closer look into C.S. Lewis' thoughts as he disclosed them to each recipient--sporadically touching each of the matters you mention. It's a long, but fascinating collection--and a wonderful read. I don't recall any mention of the specifics of what you heard about Coghill--but Lewis discusses homosexuality with his best friend Authur Greeves (who more than likely inclined in that direction) here and there.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
It seems to be Nevill without the terminal E, as per Wiki about the Inklings (semi-) member. This may be the same source that "Student of Tolkien" found, so I apologize if I am redundant. The article quotes the memoirs of one Reynolds Price about Coghill's sexual orientation:

"Nevill himself was born in 1899, served in the First War, married, fathered a daughter, then separated from his wife and lived a quietly homosexual life thereafter. He later spoke to me of several romances with men, but he apparently never established a residence with any of them; and until his retirement from Oxford, he always lived in his college rooms."

If that is "evidence" ...

Thread suggestions