🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

J.R.R Tolkien & Terry Brooks similarities

TGC

Reaction score
i think

I think Tolkien is a much better writer than terry pratchet. But Terry Pratchet isnt to bad.

Greymantle

Reaction score
*Greymantle the uncontributing nit-picker comes sweeping in*
That was Terry Brooks, not Terry Pratchet. There are too many fantasy authors named Terry....those two.... Goodkind....

Old Man Willow

Deep Forest Pipe Smoker
Reaction score
Brooks is famous for his 'Shannara' series. The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, Elfqueen of Shannara.......If you haven't heard of him yet you like Tolkien I would highly suggest checking him out. Most of his betters were written in the 70's. There are so many similarities between LOTR and The Shannara stories.

Orin

Reaction score
Too many similarities

That was the the problem I had with the Sword of Shanara, too many similarities with The Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed the book but found it unsatisfying when I finished. And I never wanted to read any more of Brook's books. And Alanon the Druid reminded me too much of an Alcohol support group to take him seriously.

Orin

Reaction score
Yes, Old Willow dude, it was enjoyable. I hope I didn't sound like I was knocking it. The Sword was just not as satisfying. It's like LOTR is coke, and The Sword of Shanara is RC cola. Coke is the Real Thing, RC a knock off, but still enjoyable as a cola.

It was the Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt that got me interested in reading the Sword of Shanara. The Hildebrandt brothers did my favorite Tolkien art as well.

The Part of the Sword of Shanara that intrigued me the most was when they were in the remains of that nuked out city, putting the story into our far future. I wish he would have developed that a bit more. Maybe he did in his later works?
:D

Old Man Willow

Deep Forest Pipe Smoker
Reaction score
Concerning the city: from what i read in the "elfstones" and the "wishsong of shannara", nothing more is said except of a war long long ago (I guess present civilization?) which shook the earth. He should have gone further on that subject because with only that mentioning, it makes it pretty wierd.

Orin

Reaction score
Hildebrandt Art

The H Bros. (and many others) did artwork for Tolkien Calanders, although none of there work appeared on book covers or in the books. The Lord of the Rings I had has cover art by the author. (Bilbo was wearing boots whilst riding the barrel on the cover of the Hobbit. Go figure!)

The Hildebrandt Bros. did Coke ads, and the Cover for Black Sabbath's Album The Mob Rules. They also did art for science fiction books. I like their stuff.

But back to the topic. I may have to Check out the rest of the Shanara books. Read any Jordan stuff?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Terry Brook's Shannara series is a feeble attempt to capitalize off of the life's work of the best writer of our time, J. R. R. Tolkien. His novels are a pale copy of Middle-earth and, to me, that's exactly how they come off.

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
I've read them; I thought the narrative was fairly good, even though the plot was so obviously Tolkien - 'inspired'. The others (I've read all of them) are somewhat better, though; I thought the last one (The Talismans of Shannara) was the best.
About the characters, you're absolutely right, although Trolls would be Uruks and Gnomes the smaller Orcs (can't remember what they're called)

arisen pheonix

Devastation
Reaction score
i dont know about the trolls remember the one panama creel was with he died so shea could get out i doubt that an uruk would have

F

Fool of a Took

I love Terry Brooks' Shannara books! And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities to LotR... For a while, I thought I was the only one who thought that. Even if they are a lot like LotR, I still love them.

R

ReadWryt

"Similarities"...this is obviously a more pleasant euphemism for Rip Off. It was an astounding coincidence to me that when the Hildebrant brothers got dropped as the official artists on the Tolkien Callandars and other publications this Terry Brooks suddenly appears with a bunch of stories about characters that look amazingly like the characters from Middle-earth that Greg and Tim had been painting for so many years...

Phenix

kallasilya calaquendi
Reaction score
I have just start reading on book one and I thinks it's whery good even if it's "inspired"by tolkiens books

arisen pheonix

Devastation
Reaction score
i like the shannara books i thought they were good i like the cover on the new ones too cool

his knight of the word books were ok too

that other series with the dog/man was rely stupid

Thread suggestions