🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

J.R.R. Tolkien's "true myth" as a modern masterpiece

H

Harad

One parenthetical that strikes my eye:

Contrary to what some critics have suggested, Tolkien's letters make clear that he was eager to do business with the Lidless Eye of Hollywood, and had few illusions about the compromises that might be required.

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
I liked Tolkiens own words that were quoted in the article:

We have come from God (continued Tolkien), and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming a "sub-creator" and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbor, while materialistic "progress" leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.

H

Harad

while materialistic "progress" leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil
Its a bit hypocritical to say "only." Its all very well for people to sit in their heated cottages, reading and writing books delivered with modern technology, benefiting from health brought in part by medical progress, electricity brought by engineering and science, and then condemn "progress."

Pollution, crime, materialism may be signs of the times, but the past was no bargain: disease, holy wars, ignorance, intolerance. More people live better now than ever before, including JRRT in his life, because of the demon "progress."

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
"Was her original a female graduate student who braved the pipe smoke and postprandial glasses of port?"

I suspect that Aldanil actually wrote this.

What did I learn?

1) Sam had sex with Shelob
2) I can't remember

I was kind of shocked by #1, and still recovering...

Interesting article! Didn't know Tolkien was so much against modernism, and feminism from America. I share Harad's view of the distaste for modern technology, and am tired of seeing protests of environmentalists with hot coffee, hair dryers and glasses, people talking about all the ill effects of vaccinations, etc. I can understand Tolkien's view of mass production and the outright filth put into the world by the factories of the early 20th century, and I find it interesting he says something like the world will soon be one suburbian population.

Last edited:

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
"I should consider it an honor if it were"

Had to laugh out loud (in a combination of coincidence and glee) to read Eonwe's last posting when I returned just now to the Forum! I had but a few minutes earlier finished the tremendous two-part article by Andrew O'Hehir which I'd printed out Friday night but was saving to savor in the morning after listening online to BBC Radio4's Saturday Play (this week's episode: "The Voice of Saruman"), and was coming back to our present thread to offer great thanks and a shout-out to Goroshimura for his good offices in providing the hyper-link to it and so giving me such a very nice present, only to find myself there already, suspected of its authorship! How pleasingly droll, flattering, and serendipitous an attribution it seemed! Now if I go on to say that I think O'Herir's essay is quite the best brief survey of Tolkien and his Tale I ever have read (and that's not just the leftover elevation from the other-than-Old-Toby I lit up after breakfast to better enjoy the broadcast talking, either) folk will think that I'm boasting!

Last edited:

Thread suggestions