🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

John Rhys--Davies Words for Amazon

Eebounnie

Reaction score
I agree to a certain degree.
"If they think they can make more money, then they will." This for me is true and actually quite sad, nowadays everything's that make money has to be milked down (star wars, fantastic beast ect..).

And at the same time I would really like a serie based on the Silmarillon, so many stories to be played and in this kind of format it would be easier. But I still have my fair share of doubt. (sorry for my English as I'm still Learning and trying to improve)

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
I agree to a certain degree.
"If they think they can make more money, then they will." This for me is true and actually quite sad, nowadays everything's that make money has to be milked down (star wars, fantastic beast ect..).

And at the same time I would really like a serie based on the Silmarillon, so many stories to be played and in this kind of format it would be easier. But I still have my fair share of doubt. (sorry for my English as I'm still Learning and trying to improve)

Welcome Eebounnie! Your English is actually pretty good!

I agree with the money part, all it seems to be after CJRT left is a soulless crash grab.

Hoping for the best.

CL

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
His comments suggest he was thinking it was going to be a remake, rather than the original stories it now appears to be. In which case, I guess I'd feel a bit insulted too, if I'd been in PJ's version.

As for whatever comes out of the project, I'm keeping the old fingers crossed, but also keeping this as "theme-song":

Barliman

Reaction score
Haha, that's so "precious", being mad at Amazon.
"It’s not about doing it better, it’s about making more money, that’s all...."
Jackson certainly didn't do the movies for the love of the story.
Were the LoTR games he did voices for freeware?

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
I agree with him. It's only about the money. Christopher Tolkien tried with more spirit that few could muster to keep the greedy hounds at bay but one man can do only so much for only so long.

The series will no doubt be flashy and expensive with much CGI and violence and I don't have much hope for it. It will no doubt bring series newcomers flocking to this site which is a double sided sword. Some won't have the slightest inclination to understand JRRT much to SES's disdain and they will undoubtly know his wrath. But others may be curious and open minded enough to learn a thing or two from those who have dedicated their lives to what we all cherish about the Professor and his writings.

Me, I won't watch. I have found all I need for a lifetime of joy and entertainment between the pages of JRRT's books. Peace to all.

Miguel

Reaction score
Well, while he's in part technically right, Mr Rhys did not exactly play Gimli in exchange for a lollipop. There's a certain degree of passion to be invested in if they're going to spend that much money on this. I just hope they have as much respect for the lore as possible and if everything turns out nice and shiny, move on to make something Quenta related, if not then don't do it xD

Barliman

Reaction score
The series will no doubt be flashy and expensive with much CGI and violence and I don't have much hope for it.
Sounds familiar.
Except I had great hopes for the movies.

Well, while he's in part technically right, Mr Rhys did not exactly play Gimli in exchange for a lollipop.
Dwarf tossing doesn't come cheap.

Thread suggestions