🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

King's Men/Black Numenoreans Umbar?

Naru nAru

Reaction score
May there have been small pockets of pure blooded black numenoren/kings men communities in Umbar during the WOTR?

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I think it would be speculation of how 'pure-blooded' any would be, and being it was nearly 1400 years since the last known direct descendant of Castamir the Usurper was heard from (The Corsair Raid in Pelargir in Third Age 1634), it is doubtful they were able to preserve a pure bloodline with a diminishing gene pool of Numenorean-blooded people. My 'guess' is the Corsairs of Umbar that were intercepted by Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, the Rangers, and the Sons of Elrond were only traces of Numenorean blood in them as the lines would have had 1400 years to intermingle generationally. I'm sure Gailan or someone will have a more detailed answer based on the known writings for you.

Naru nAru

Reaction score
I had a similar Idea of it before I noticed that really Castamir and his kin were not Black Numenoreans but just pissed off Gondorians. I started to think about the Mouth of Sauron, who most people speculate come from Mordor, but this makes no sense.
"...the Black Númenóreans; for they established their dwellings in Middle-earth during the years of Sauron's domination, and they worshipped him, being enamoured of evil knowledge." ― "The Black Gate Opens", The Lord of the Rings

In the above quote it states they established their dwellings during and before the Domination of Sauron. Yet no text was given to speculuate that one such dwelling was in Mordor. The only dwellingc close enought ot Mordor and that had ever been known to be populated by Black Numenoreans was Umbar. So it would make sense that Sauron pulled from these his elite.

We also know he didnt take them from the colonies south of Umbar due to the following quote

"...some were given over wholly to idleness and ease, and some fought amongst themselves, until they became conquered in their weakness by the wild men." ― "The Window on the West", The Lord of the Rings

Which states that they were absorbed into the native population.

Another older quote

"After the fall of Sauron their race swiftly dwindled or became merged with the Men of Middle-earth..." ― "Appendix A" of The Lord of the Rings

Says that they diminished in number and merged with the Natives, yet the conjunction "or" is used which means it was more of amystery not a known fact.

We still know they survived well after Sauron died by this quote.

"...the Men of Harad, led by the lords that had been driven from Umbar, came up with great power against that stronghold..." ― "Appendix A" of The Lord of the Rings

Thread suggestions