🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Languages Guild?

Frodo Baggins

Reaction score
You guys aught to start a "Guild of Linguists" (or something like that...), I'm certainly not qualified in languages enough to do so, but I imagine somebody here is. ;)

T

The_Swordmaster

Yes thier used to be a guild like that it was called the Guild of Linguistics(sp.) Here is a link to the thread. Just click here.

It seemed to die a number of times. But I will help remake it if anyone else is interested.

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
Ahem. After proposing a new Guild, I sort of lost interest. For a year. Well, I'll try not to do that again, and let me ask again:

If a Guild of Linguistics were to be started (by me or otherwise), how many people would be interested in joining? (I probably wouldn't have time to be a worthy head of such a guild.)

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I would be interested to join! I've always been interested in languages, so I guess it would be the right place for me:)

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I would be more than willing to join..
But how do you think it would be handled? The Prancing Pony might be changed into the Writers' Guild.. So would the Languages Guild be a part of the GoW, or would we really need a seperate Guild for the Languagse and Tongues?

T

The_Swordmaster

I am would help make this guild get off the ground.

Well I think the guild could be on its own. If we have people who are close to fluent in any of Tolkien's languages thay could be a professeror a teacher in the guild. The teachers or professors could hold classes to teach other members in the guild to speak that language. It would be a teaching guild. Someone could be a professor at Quenya or Sinadrin then they make a thread and hold a class for those interested. Similar to Heren Istarion, but we would teach languages not RPing.

That's just my idea for the guild.

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
Ah, but this would be a guild for linguistics, not for teaching Tolkien's languages. Someone who knew a lot about them would certainly be helpful, but not necessarily to teach.
So, so far we have 3 people interested (plus me). Anyone else?

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
That makes six:

YayGollum
Lantarion
Frodo Baggins
The_Swordmaster
Niniel
Me

The question is: is that enough to justify a whole new Guild? More importantly, with just 6 people to keep it alive, would the Guild just die?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Or perhaps we could start it just within the Prancing Pony? After all, the GoW is housed there as well, and there have been no problems with that..
But I suggest that in all the titles of threads that pertain to the Guild of Languages should have the prefix "GoL:" and then the name of the thread (e.g. GoL: Your Favourite Language(s)), to avoid confusion. But as was stated, I think the GoL should deal only very little in Tolkien's languages, because all questions or things about them are to be posted in the forum "Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth".

So what do you all say? If somebody wants to start a thread about a language, please do so: but in the Prancing Pony. And I think that in order to post a thread with the name "GoL" the member should be a member of the Guild, which shouldn't be a problem. :)
But let's wait until everybody involved says their opinion: if it is positive, I'll start a thread called "Guild of Languages: Info and Member List".

PS: This thread has now been moved from the "Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth" forum to the Prancing Pony.

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
Alright. This thread being moved confused me at first (long day), but I've recovered now.
I think you're right about starting it in the Prancing Pony. That way, if it just dies (as if), not too much Mod time will have been wasted.
Do we need a Guild hierarchy?
Raithnait, you are welcome to join (if that's my prerogative). We now have 7. (The magic number...)

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
I don't get why it's going into that Prancing Pony section. Here's the little description. ---> Stories, poetry, music, and other quality fare. How does that have anything to do with learning and having all kinds of fun with Tolkien's crazy and made up languages? oh well. What's wrong with sticking it in that little section for things that aren't real guilds yet so we can wait for our own little section? Or just keeping these threads in the language section?

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
The Languages section is for Tolkien's languages.
I don't see anything wrong with the not-quite-fully-fledged-guilds-yet folder myself.
But does it really matter where it is, as long as we all know?

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Right. The language section is for Tolkien's languages. I agree. So is the guild we're talking about. Anyways, no, I wouldn't especially mind if this was in any section. Doesn't matter too much. I'm just wondering why it's been put in this section. You know. Explanations are good. oh well. just idle curiosity. Do the little summaries of sections need to be changed?

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
My original intent for this future Guild was that it should be for languages invented (or on the way to invention) by the members. Comparaisons to Tolkien's languages (or indeed any other) would be welcome but not essential. After all, he is the role model here.
However, I'm now unsure as to whether there would be enough people interested in joining and whether their interest would be sustained over a long period of time and the Guild would die.
If the Guild were to be created, I would not mind either which section it would be put in (but the "Other Guilds..." one would probably be most appropriate).

Thread suggestions