🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Languages

Taran

Reaction score
So, which is your favorite language of ME? Elvish? Dwarven? Orcish (yeah, right)? Mannish? I like Elvish. It flows beautifully and reminds me of a mixture of certain Celtic languages (which I love: Welsh and Irish) and Old Norse. Hope y'all post!

Taran

Reaction score
And what is your favorite elvish, dwarven, orcish, whatever word or phrase? Elvish: Arwen Undomiel. Dwarven: Zirakzigil. Orcish: Morannon. Mannish: Argonath.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Um.. There are only two prominent languages that have been used in the naming of places in ME: Sindarin and rarely Quenya. Morbeth, or the Black Speech is used somewhere, I think; but the Mannish names (the language is a bit incomplete, or an exact copy of Old English) are either not given or only mentioned once.
Eg. Sindarin 'Morannon' means 'black gate': mor-, 'black'; annon [pl. ennyn], 'gate'.

Taran

Reaction score
I stand corrected! Thanx, Pontifex - hmm...i guess, then, i don't have a fav orcish word. Yeah, i knew about the two different elvish languages. so, what is ur favorite language and words?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Well, Quenya is my favorite speaking language: Anar kelúva tielyanna.
Sindarin has so many short, prefixal words that it is excellent for naming places: pretty much all the place names. Eg. 'Harlindon': Har(ad)-, 'south'; 'Lindon', lin-, 'song', -don, -dor, 'land'. And 'Forlindon', 'Northern Lindon'.
Ooh, and 'Moria': Mor-, 'black'; and îa, 'abyss'.

It makes you think: wouldn't the word 'Narnia' mean: narn-, 'story, poetic tale'; îa, 'abyss'. 'Story-abyss'? Hmm..

Taran

Reaction score
thats incredible, Pontifex! BRAVO! wonderful translations. do you know what 'Prydain' would mean?

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
I like elvish, of course. Quenya is nice, but it sounds too much like...finnish...or estonian...or spanish.
Anyway, Sindarin is the one that goes right into my heart, incredible!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Hey! What's wrong with Finnish?! :D
And sorry Taran, I don't know what Prydain means. It would appear to include a Sindarin collective suffix,-(d)ain; Cf. Dúnedain. But I have no idea what pry could possinly mean, if anything. :)

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pontifex
Hey! What's wrong with Finnish?!
Nothing really, sorry if you got me wrong. Sindarin simply offers me sounds I haven't heard so much before. And Quenya...it's simply more homey - like Finnish!

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
It would appear to include a Sindarin collective suffix,-(d)ain; Cf. Dúnedain.
Dúnedain: S. adan pl. edain is an example of a vowel-change plural -- deriving from the "i-affection" of the final syllable in the historic plural adani. First change with *adani for example: anticipatory pronunciation of final vowel produces new diphthong, ie adani > adaini ... (well there's more to that, but ...)

Anyway and generally, note a few random examples of S. vowel change plurals in:
barad > beraid
orch > yrch
certh > cirth

Last edited:

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
I like Quenya, but is difficult to lear because is different from the Spanish grammar (Spanish is my first language) they have a lot of endings for pronuons, express ownership etc.

But I am trying to learn it... but a need a Dictionary!!!

pd. hey Tasar Quenya does not sound like Spanish at all!!!

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Camille
pd. hey Tasar Quenya does not sound like Spanish at all!!!
You're right, I guess. I wasn't really thinking about what I wrote.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
that is ok Tasar ;), but I would like if someone (maybe Pontifex) could post something in Finnish it is said that Tolkien was based in these language to create the elven speech.

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
En ole kyllä Pontifex, mutta haluaisin silti kirjoita suomeksi. Pari päivää takaisiin näkin tv-stä ohjelmaa, missä yksi mies arvas, että Helsinki ja Tallinna voisivat olla yksi kaupunki ja nimi voisi olla Talsinki vai Hellinn. Minulle tuntuu se toinen parempana, mutta mitä arvaisi englantia-puhuva maailma? Hellinn - uusi satanisti-kaupunki?

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
Ma lihtsalt ei suuda vastu panna...see on siis nüüd eesti keel! Leidke kümme erinevust!

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Is that Quenya?? or was finnish?? :confused: , what ever I have read it and it looks great.
:D

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
WoW For me (not an expert) it looks pretty much like Quenya... thanks for the post.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Here's summore:

Onko näin? En muista kuulleeni tästä. Hellin tosiaan. Se on jo pahempi kuin Helsinki, 'vajoava helvetti'!
Okei, nyt pitäis panna jotain Kalevala- meininkiä.. "Kun Ilmarinen takonut oli Sammon, hän ylpeänä työtänsä katseli". Heh, siinä se.

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
"Kun Ilmarinen takonut oli Sammon, hän ylpeänä työtänsä katseli".
When Aule had made the Seven Fathers of the dwarves, he looked at his work proudly

Thread suggestions