🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Long Live the Guild of Tolkienology!

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
A long, long time ago ….
A whole long year back from today….
Somewhere in space and time …..
In the very beginning ….
There came One ….

And he was called Grond – the Hammer of the Underworld
And the Free Peoples of TTF feared him at first
For mighty he was and grim he looked …

But an important errand and a wonderful vision he came with …
To create a new place,
A new world
For a new people ..

And he arose and said
Eä! Let a new place Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable of Tolkienology, and it shall be at the heart of this new place, and a Guild of Tolkienology it shall Be!

And so it was all begun!

Then Grond laboured hard and created the first Tolkienologists
who came to populate the new world.
And they beheld it was still quiet and lonely.
But beautiful it was too
within the light of the Flame Creative !
And they became enamoured of its beauty
and of its history which they saw beginning and unfolding
as in the vision of the Creator.

Therefore Grond gave to this vision Being
And the Secret Fire of Tolkienology he gave to them
to keep and cherish and let it burn forever
in the hearts of all who would like to call themselves Tolkienologists.

Time passed and the new place grew fair.
From distant corners of the wide world
new people came to live in the Light.
Some were wild and restless spirits
looking for adventures and thrilling experience.
Others were quiet and shy souls
hiding in the shadows and marvelling at the glory of the new creation.
Yet others came who loved that place and wished to stay forever.
And they wished to make it even fairer and worthier its Creator.
And much was what they did!
And Grond looked at the creations of their labours
And he was content!

So came the fair Morning of the Guild of Tolkienology.

But then Grond said:
“I’ll go now.
For I am sure that my creation and the Flame Imperishable of Tolkienology that I gave to you
you’ll keep and cherish.
Let it burn forever and never let it perish!
Farewell now!
To other worlds I have to depart
for I am needed there now more than here!
But I’ll come and visit you from time to time.
For here is where my soul can rest
among friends and in the Light of the Flame Imperishable of Tolkienology.
Farewell!
And don’t grieve for me!”

Yet very sad were the Tolkienologists!
But they have given a promise to the Creator
And they intended to keep it!

And so they did!

But the spirit of Evil was never at rest either!
It beheld the bliss of the new place
And it came to mar it.
And it put to test the strength of the spirits of the young Tolkienologists.

And those were times of sorrow and fear!

Then some fled from the Guild
And took with them a sparkle of the Flame Creative.
They went alone into the Void
For desire grew hot within them to bring into Being things of their own.
And a new place they created out there in the Void
But nigh it was to the Guild of Tolkienology.
The Schollars Hall they named it
And there they let the sparkle of the Flame Imperishable burn again
as it burned before in the altar at the Guild of Tolkienology.

And peace settled between these two worlds
For brothers were they
And One had lit the Fire of Tolkienology into their hearts.

And whatever new worlds Tolkienologists and Schollras then departed to
They always bore that sparkle within their souls.

But those who stayed
kept on their labours.
And they did all they could to bring back the strength of the Guild.
And Evil was defeated
And bliss returned back to the fair world.
And strong and flourishing became the Guild of the Tolkienologists.
Many came to challenge them and they withstood the challenge.
Many came to rot the fair society
But failed.
But also many came as friends!
And they were greeted!

Young still is the day for the Guild of Tolkienology,
though a long year has passed since those times of glory
when it was created with the Flame Imperishable of Tolkienolgy.

And the Guild has lived through many changes.
And renowned it has become!
And more and more people have come to join it.

Let us keep it like this!
In honour of the Creator of this fair place,
In honour of the efforts of its members
In honour of the Flame Imperishable –

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien

Today is a day of joy!
Let us put back all worries and dark thoughts!
For today is the Guild’s First Birthday!
Let us celebrate and be happy!

I open the Grand Fiesta!

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Wow! That was briliant, Lhun! *claps his hands*

The First birthday... The Guild is 1 year old... What a cute little baby;)

I may have been here only for a little while, but I received here a very warm welcome and found friends and all things I had been searching for long time. I remember I spent my first post to join this fine guild... yes... from the first minutes on TTF boards, when I finally got used to it, I knew I wanna be a Tolkienologist!! It was something deep inside me... some inner guidance... I heard it saying: "This is the very place for you, Manveru. Here all that you've hoped for will come to pass..." And it did. Thank you all for a warm welcome and for that I feel here as in a family. THANK YOU ALL for the greatest and most wonderful two months of my LIFE. THANK YOU GOT's FAMILY...

We're like a big family
Though from different trees of
genealogy.
But what keeps Us together close
Is the one and only Guild of
Tolkienology!

Long live the GoT!!!
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel:
I open the Grand Fiesta!
OK... let's have a party!!
(I wonder where drinks are... ah! There they are. I'm coming!;))

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Great words you spoke, my friends. But those are words which come from the heart of a Tolkienologist and those are the words of a Tolkienologist!
What I feel, despite being young and still much unexperienced as a member but not as a part of this world, is simple and in the good spirit of the day.;)

I assume the Guild as a large bottle of champagne. A year ago it was opened, the cap sprang out and the foam scattered. The cap that was the Master of this place, the unforgettable Grond, and the foam that was the knowledge he showed and gave to us-the alcoholics.;)For we were and still are thirsty for cognition!
The first glass revealed just a drop of the Master's World. It was our first step and Grond watched us not to fall. The second one was our first word and so we spoke it in Quenya! The third one enchanted us and we forgot the magnificance of everything else but our world. We drank and drank and became much and more experienced and wise. We drank for a whole year...but the bottle finally was over! We were unhappy and gave ourselves a little rest but nothing could be done-the spring of our excitement and thirst was empty.
Nevertheless, as every fairy-tale this one has a happyend too. Soon we looked aside and saw a whole case with our beloved bottles of champagne!!!
The first year and birthday of our Guild passed behind us and so did our first bottle.But we still have a whole bunch of them. So, go, tigers, young Tolkienologists, learn and celebrate the opening of our second bottle of champagne!

I can't say that I'm here from the very beginning and that my first post was to join the Guild but I can proudly say that I feel the new beginning now with our new Mighty Mistress and that I knew I would be a Tolkienologist! I joined the forum to be a Tolkienologist and to defend the Guild's honour wherever I go!
The Guild is one but its individual spirit makes it suitable for every character!

Let's celebrate!

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Dear Guildsmen and Guests!

I feel like the Occasion calls for a smart speech and a smart toastmaker.Nay, I'm just a little plagiarist and I shall quote a famous speech master rather than begin with my own thought.:)
Like Old Bilbo said...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!"

The reason I start like this is the strange characteristic that unites Bilbo and me--alike, we feel inexplicable sympathy to an unknown, but nice audience. For who are you ?Nicknamed funny people I barely know...but, indeed, I feel you as friends!
Really strange folks go around---wraiths, damsels in distress, archiangels, Maia queens, bowmen etc.etc. But what I'm concerned about is the alarming content of our mutual work. Glancing at threads like "Quenya Lessons", "Creative Endeavours Hall", "The Hall of Lectures"...do you realize WE DEVIATE FROM NORMALITY?
Anyway,that's cool and in some odd way it keeps us together. Let's drink to our UNITY!!! (By the way, I use this opportunity to announce I\m planning to establish A Guild Of Archaeologists--Lhun, don't worry, the GOT still will be the second best in TTF!!!)
AS I SAID, CHEERS TO OUR UNITY!!!!!

Manveru

Reaction score
My cocktail is... wait a minute... I don't drink cocktails (don't like to mix alcohol;)). It's WARKA, just WARKA (it's a Polish beer;)). Ah... beer... right... where were we?:D (I think I'm thirsty... see ya all later;)).

BTW: Nice names of that cocktails, my ladies...

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
My photo was taken just 5 days ago and it was a hot summer noon at the Ancient Theatre of my home city...it was a bit early for alcohol so that's something sweet consisting of banana juice,grenadine and passion fruit.:)

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
...it was a bit early for alcohol so that's something sweet consisting of banana juice,grenadine and passion fruit.
;)Oh, yeah! I can see your red chicks...;)
Hehe!:D
The last photo I took of me drinking was...me and GG drinking vodka...but that photo is a bit...hmm...wierd and unclear! Even I can't recognise myself! :D

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Having fun? :D

I just wanted to tell you, friends, that this morning while I was working on the new look my computer failed me and at the moment I am cut off it.
So I will be able to give you the quiz tomorrow! :(

Meanwhile......

CHEERS FOR THE GUILD, FOR ITS MEMBERS ,.....but don't you get too drunk! ;) :D

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
:D:D
We already are drunk! But of excitement...;)
:D

Waiting for you, Miss...;)
Cheers! And be careful with the computer, Miss...otherwise i'll have to come and fix it for you... :rolleyes: ;):D

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
Is it really only ONE year since this Guild was founded? I cannot believe it. It seems so much longer to me... As if the Guild has always been part of my life.

Okay, okay, I didn't come here often during the last months, didn't contribute anything. But I know that I will do so again.

Now, let me give my hearty greetings to everyone here: I hope you keep the Guild just as lively as it ever was. Or the Guild will keep you just as lively as you are? Whatever.

I drink to the wellbeing of the Guild of Tolkienology!
Cheers!

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
How nice! This new look feels so cozy, and... new!

My first post in Máhanaxar!

Cheers, and congrats to the Guild; and to the Guild-mistress; and to the Guild-members; and to whoever else wants it!

(Beorn should get a special applause for the work in the new look :) ).

Well, I'm not a big speech-maker, I'm much better listening. Carry on :D.

Manveru

Reaction score
*gets up... his legs feel like shaking*

Aaall righty then... I'm done... enough ale for today (tomorrow there's another day--another keg maybe;)) and I have to get up early in the morning...

Confusticated

Reaction score
Nóm walks in with a case of Newcaslte under each arm, and in her left hand is some mysterious slips of paper - a thick stack! 'Surely' some thought, 'that can not be a speech?'

Then she put down the Ale and opened a bottle for herself, and stood with the sheets in her hand.

"Greetings members of GoT and guests. First, I would like to thank you for your invitation to this party, and congratulate each of you for the success of the Guild of Tolkienology. I see this place has changed much since I was was a member. I had only just discovered Middle-earth when Grond and Maedhros decided to head up the Guild, and Grond's generous invitation was a big step further into this world, and my days here will always have been a huge part of the Golden Dawn of my experiences with Tolkien's books. GoT as well as the rest of the forum will always be dear to me for this. My sincere thanks to all who have ever discussed these books with me - it is always a great source of happiness and much appreciated, and a specific thanks to GoT for being here and encouraging me when I was new. Thanks also for doing the same for others. I wish GoT always continue to be what it has been throughout the last year.

My gift, in addition to Newcastle, is a reading of Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth."

Nóm takes a seat and begins to read from the sheets of paper:

Now it chanced that on a time of spring Finrod was for a while a guest in the house of Belemir; and he fell to talking with Andreth the Wise-woman concerning Men and their fates. For at that time Boron, Lord of the folk of Beor, had but lately died soon after Yule, and Finrod was grieved.

'Sad to me, Andreth,' he said, 'is the swift passing of your people. For now Boron your father's father is gone; and though he was old, you say, as age goes among Men, yet I had known him too briefly. Little while indeed it seems to me since I first saw Beor in the east of this land, yet now he is gone, and his sons, and his son's son also.'

'More than a hundred years it is now,' said Andreth, 'since we came over the Mountains; and Beor and Baran and Boron each lived beyond his ninetieth year. Our passing was swifter before we found this land.'

'Then are you content here?' said Finrod.

'Content?' said Andreth. 'No heart of Man is content. All passing and dying is a grief to it; but if the withering is less soon then that is some amendment, a little lifting of the Shadow.'
'What mean you by that?' said Finrod.

'Surely you know well!' said Andreth. 'The darkness that is now confined to the North, but once'; and here she paused and her eyes darkled, as if her mind were gone back into black years best forgot. 'But once lay upon all Middle-earth, while ye dwelt in your bliss.'

'It was not concerning the Shadow that I asked,' said Finrod. 'What mean you, I would say, by the lifting of it? Or how is the swift fate of Men concerned with it? Ye also, we hold (being instructed by the Great who know), are Children of Eru, and your fate and nature is from Him.'

'I see,' said Andreth, 'that in this ye of the High-elves do not differ from your lesser kindred whom we have met in the world, though they have never dwelt in the Light. All ye Elves deem that we die swiftly by our true kind. That we are brittle and brief, and ye are strong and lasting. We may be "Children of Eru", as ye say in your lore; but we are children to you also: to be loved a little maybe, and yet creatures of less worth, upon whom ye may look down from the height of your power and your knowledge, with a smile, or with pity, or with a shaking of heads.'

'Alas, you speak near the truth,' said Finrod. 'At least of many of my people; but not of all, and certainly not of me. But consider this well, Andreth, when we name you "Children of Eru" we do not speak lightly; for that name we do not utter ever in jest or without full intent. When we speak so, we speak out of knowledge, not out of mere Elvish lore; and we proclaim that ye are our kin, in a kinship far closer (both of hroa and fea) than that which binds together all other creatures of Arda, and ourselves to them.
'Other creatures also in Middle-earth we love in their measure and kind: the beasts and birds who are our friends, the trees, and even the fair flowers that pass more swiftly than Men. Their passing we regret; but believe it to be a part of their nature, as much as are their shapes or their hues.
'But for you, who are our nearer kin, our regret is far greater. Yet, if we consider the briefness of life in all Middle-earth, must we not believe that your brevity is also part of your nature? Do not your own people believe this too? And yet from your words and their bitterness I guess that you think that we err.'

'I think that you err, and all who think likewise,' said Andreth; 'and that that error itself comes of the Shadow. But to speak of Men. Some will say this and some that; but most, thinking little, will ever hold that what is in their brief span in the world has ever been so, and shall so ever remain, whether they like it or no. But there are some that think otherwise; men call them "Wise", but heed them little. For they do not speak with assurance or with one voice, having no sure knowledge such as ye boast of, but perforce depending upon lore, from which truth (if it can be found) must be winnowed. And in every winnowing there is chaff with the corn that is chosen, and doubtless some corn with the chaff which is rejected.
'Yet among my people, from Wise unto Wise out of the darkness, comes the voice saying that Men are not now as they were, nor as their true nature was in their beginning. And clearer still is this said by the Wise of the People of Marach, who have preserved in memory a name for Him that ye call Eru, though in my folk He was almost forgotten. So I learn from Adanel. They say plainly that Men are not by nature short-lived, but have become so through the malice of the Lord of the Darkness whom they do not name.'

'That I can well believe,' said Finrod: 'that your bodies suffer in some measure the malice of Melkor. For you live in Arda Marred, as do we, and all the matter of Arda was tainted by him, before ye or we came forth and drew our hroar and their sustenance therefrom: all save only maybe Aman before he came there. For know, it is not otherwise with the Quendi themselves: their health and stature is diminished. Already those of us who dwell in Middle-earth, and even we who have returned to it, find that the change of their bodies is swifter than in the beginning. And that, I judge, must forebode that they will prove less strong to last than they were designed to be, though this may not be clearly revealed for many long years.
'And likewise with the hroar of Men, they are weaker than they should be. Thus it comes to pass that here in the West, to which of old his power scarcely extended, they have more health, as you say.'

'Nay, nay!' said Andreth. 'You do not understand my words. For you are ever in one mind, my lord: the Elves are the Elves, and Men are Men, and though they have a common Enemy, by whom both are injured, still the ordained interval remains between the lords and the humble, the firstcomers high and enduring, the followers lowly and of brief service.
'That is not the voice that the Wise hear out of the darkness and from beyond it. Nay, lord, the Wise among Men say: "We were not made for death, nor born ever to die. Death was imposed upon us." And behold! the fear of it is with us always, and we flee from it for ever as the hart from the hunter. But for myself I deem that we cannot escape within this world, nay, not even if we could come to the Light beyond the Sea, or that Aman of which ye tell. In that hope we set out and have journeyed through many lives of Men; but the hope was vain. So said the Wise, but that did not stay the march, for as I have said, they are little heeded. And lo! we have fled from the Shadow to the last shores of Middle-earth, to find only that it is here before us!'

Then Finrod was silent; but after a while he said: 'These words are strange and terrible. And you speak with the bitterness of one whose pride has been humiliated, and seeks therefore to wound those to whom she speaks. If all the Wise among Men speak so, then well I can believe that ye have suffered some great hurt. But not by my people, Andreth, nor by any of the Quendi. If we are as we are, and ye are as we find you, that is not by any deed of ours, nor of our desire; and your sorrow does not rejoice us nor feed our pride. One only would say otherwise: that Enemy whom you do not name.
'Beware of the chaff with your corn, Andreth! For it may be deadly: lies of the Enemy that out of envy will breed hate. Not all the voices that come out of the darkness speak truth to those minds that listen for strange news.

[This is where you must get out your book and finish, for the full effect...;) If anyone does not have the book but would like to finish the Athrabeth, PM me.]

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by Melian
Oh my!
My cocktail's name is Jet Mania.:)
No,no my dear Maia,the real cocktail of Summer 03 is Mai-Thai!
So CHEERS!
Long Live The Guild of Tolkienology!!!

What can I say more?During this year The Guild has become the most important place for me in the world web.This is the place where I meet some of my best friends and some of the most talanted persons I've ever met!It is a great honour for me to be part of that society,the society of the TRUE Tolkienologists!

Long Live The Guild of Tolkienology!!!

Thread suggestions