🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Lord of the Rings on Prime Updates (Thanks Varking!)

Varking

Enigma
Reaction score
Just so everyone is aware the new show is getting a social media presence and we have a new map to look at that may or may not provide clues as to when the new series could take place.

Facebook -- Twitter -- Instagram -- Amazon -- Reddit

Current Map:

Amazon is spending 1 billion on this series

Amazon is keeping the writers in a locked room behind security with no outside light.

Walking Dead actor want to try out for Aragorn, claims they are casting an Aragorn.

Government talks with Amazon stay secret

JA Bayona to direct first two episodes of the show!

Casting Call for the show!

Team so far:

J.D. Payne

Patrick McKay

Gennifer Hutchison

Helen Shang

Jason Cahill

Glenise Mullins

Justin Doble

Bryan Cogman

Stephany Folsom

J.A. Bayona

Belén Atienza

Bruce Richmond

Gene Kelly

Lindsey Weber

Ron Ames

Kate Hawley

Rick Heinrichs

Jason Smith

Tom Shippey

John Howe

Markella Kavenagh (Tyra)

Last edited:

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
Just so everyone is aware the new show is getting a social media presence and we have a new map to look at that may or may not provide clues as to when the new series could take place.

Facebook -- Twitter -- Instagram -- Amazon
Interesting, the East of Middle-earth is shown...we know Aragorn journeyed far into other lands when he was younger..

CL

Varking

Enigma
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1097495925163868162

They have now added text to some of the map.

https://amp-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.businessinsider.com/amazon-going-to-huge-lengths-to-keep-lord-of-the-rings-series-secret-2019-2?amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Salke also said that Tolkein's descendants are going to spend some time with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.

"His daughters and the grandchildren, they're coming to New York, and Jeff Bezos, me, Jeff Blackburn, a team of us are going and they've invited us to a dinner and see some art, some creative work that they haven't shown the world yet," she said.

Alcuin

Reaction score
Lovely map!

I don’t see any “smaller town names”. Am I missing them?

I’ve never before seen the mountains east of Rhûn on any Tolkien map. What is your source (if you don’t mind my asking)?

Do you have a version with more detail?

Varking

Enigma
Reaction score
The newer updated regions on the map are along the west coast and some other areas. This was pulled directly from Lort of the Rings on Prime's Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Amazon site.

Miguel

Reaction score
So no more Scotland?. They'll be limiting themselves by filming everything in NZ again. Also, 1.49 billion, are you kidding me?. They can do a lot with that. I'd like episodes to be filmed in NZ but that statement "NZ is the real ME" is a bit of a stretch. There are many locations around the world they could make good use of.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
So no more Scotland?. They'll be limiting themselves by filming everything in NZ again. Also, 1.49 billion, are you kidding me?. They can do a lot with that. I'd like episodes to be filmed in NZ but that statement "NZ is the real ME" is a bit of a stretch. There are many locations around the world they could make good use of.
Darn it, I wanted something original and different this time.

I smell Peter Jackson afoot.

This already sounds bad news.

CL

Last edited:

Inziladun

Reaction score
I share your thoughts, I heard they might make use of old sets and such is that true? Still there are many other places that would be great for filming something new.

Inziladun

Reaction score
It's a shame, I would rather not see a copy of a copy and all, still there is much they have to work with that Jackson did not include in the films, so perhaps there is some hope.

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
No Scotland! I had so little hope for this series when I first heard about it. Now even that small hope has dimmed. Sorry to be a grinch but just sayin'...

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
No Scotland! I had so little hope for this series when I first heard about it. Now even that small hope has dimmed. Sorry to be a grinch but just sayin'...
Same, I have little to no interest now, as it seems they are not for any sort of creativity, just the same Jacksonian art design.

I do not even care about it anymore. They are catering to the films audience, the casual moviegoers.

Not us.

Bore.

CL

Miguel

Reaction score
I'm not sure but it might be cheaper and more comfortable for them to have all production in one place instead of having crews taking flights to build sets around existing structures somewhere else, which is what i prefer. In case of the former, this will likely imply higher amounts of CGI work structure wise. I'll say it's very likely filming might take place in other areas as was hinted with the whole Scotland thing. That scouting group could be just one of many others who might have been visiting other potential filming locations, who knows. Speculation OC.

Thread suggestions