🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Lord of the Rings on Prime Updates (Thanks Varking!)

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
All corporations love $$$ -- that's why they exist! :)

Still, I'm not sure this would be being done, at least by Amazon, if Jeff Bezos didn't also love Tolkien.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Just checked out Wiki's article on "Lord of the Rings", section 7 "Adaptations", subsection 7.3 "TV":

"In March 2020, the production of the series was shut down due to the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic."

This could be a big, very big monkey wrench in the gears of Amazon's plans. Weren't they planning to start "airing" the series in 2021?

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
It's not just them, of course -- the film and TV industries are being affected worldwide. For instance:

This is a "Catch-22" situation with a vengeance. With people staying home (restrictions are being ratcheted up quickly in Germany as apparently up to a quarter of the population - my guess is mostly the "Smombie" set - consider the restrictions effected so far to be "scaremongering"!), they are watching (a lot) more TV. And doing a lot more streaming on the Internet, one non-trivial part is schoolchildren doing electronic learning there. It has led to load problems for existing servers.
The Catch-22 is that while people are (seriously) raising their media consumption, the supply of new content could be grinding to a halt. This would then probably mean re-runs on a scale unprecedented in the relatively short history (maybe 70 years for TV, certainly less than 30, more probably 20 for Internet) of electronic media.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
And doing a lot more streaming on the Internet
It's about to get harder for you guys:
Though I won't be surprised if it happens over here soon. One NPR program I heard last night was dedicated to which old TV shows people are binge-watching. Oddly -- to me -- the oldest one mentioned was "Cheers". I don't consider that very "old" -- maybe because I myself am very old!

I intend to watch a bunch of really old stuff on youtube: serials, Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto. And I have my Film Noir and Busby Berkeley box sets.

Republic, here I come!
republic serials.jpg

Last edited:

Thread suggestions