🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Lord of the Rings on Prime Updates (Thanks Varking!)

Miguel

Reaction score
Just about how much content would not come from the books in 20 episodes?. It's crazy, i want to watch a trailer already but i also worry of course. Hope everything fits nicely.

Arthfael

The Ranger
Reaction score
Hi all, mae govannen, I've been watching for a thread about this, I enjoy all the different opinions coming out of the making of this new series. (@Varking I do hope it's alright that I'm adding this, please let me know. :) )

I found a link, here, that gives a whole lot of information about what's going on with the series so far. The biggest/most interesting/important looking things I've seen so far are these:

"On July 3, Amazon announced that J.A. Bayona, who directed 2018's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, is directing the first two episodes of the Lord of the Rings show."

"...the Amazon team has "exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien's original writings." THe series will be taking place in the Second Age.

"Amazon reportedly paid close to $250 million for the rights, making it the most expensive TV series ever. That doesn't, of course, include the money it'll cost to hire the actors and crew and actually make the sure-to-be-pricey show. The Hollywood Reporter speculates that the whole shebang could cost more than $1 billion."

Hope that gives more info!
Na lû e-govaned vîn

Last edited:

Miguel

Reaction score
Apparently, they have green light to make things up as long as they're in tune with Tolkien's writings. However, Tolkien Estate also has green light to say: 'How dare you, remove this!.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Yes.... feeling a slight bit more optomistic about this venture. Apparently Bezos is a fan and didn't like parts of the PJ movies, so that helps.

Varking

Enigma
Reaction score
Hi all, mae govannen, I've been watching for a thread about this, I enjoy all the different opinions coming out of the making of this new series. (@Varking I do hope it's alright that I'm adding this, please let me know. :) )

I found a link, here, that gives a whole lot of information about what's going on with the series so far. The biggest/most interesting/important looking things I've seen so far are these:

"On July 3, Amazon announced that J.A. Bayona, who directed 2018's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, is directing the first two episodes of the Lord of the Rings show."

"...the Amazon team has "exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien's original writings." THe series will be taking place in the Second Age.

"Amazon reportedly paid close to $250 million for the rights, making it the most expensive TV series ever. That doesn't, of course, include the money it'll cost to hire the actors and crew and actually make the sure-to-be-pricey show. The Hollywood Reporter speculates that the whole shebang could cost more than $1 billion."

Hope that gives more info!
Na lû e-govaned vîn
You are more than welcome to add stuff here. It’s hard to keep up with everything when sharing to 3-4 sites, 2 discord’s and a subreddit while still trying to remember to eat and breath :). Thanks for contributing!

Olorgando

Reaction score
In the first JRRT site I joined back in 2013, I found this news tidbit:
“It seems that actor Will Poulter (from The Maze Runner series) has been cast as a lead role in the upcoming LoTR TV series.”

As I’m seriously non-current on things filmmaking since about the year 2000 (except PJ’s JRRT fanfics), I popped over to Wikipedia for some enlightenment. Which led to my following comment to the above post in that other JRRT site:

“Yikes, what a pup! (he’s only 26 years old, but seems to have been in some “Narnia” film, besides the "Maze Runner" stuff mentioned above.)
Though by some of JRRT's writings about the aging of the Númenóreans of the royal line (those 400-year-olds) he could play an 80-year-old.
But still, barring the use of heavy prosthetics, are Amazon gearing this to the teenie market? *shudder*

Actually, I’m only posting my curmudgeonly comment in the hope of getting Erestor Arcamen out of boredom as declared in a post to my introductory thread: “So glad, I was getting bored not having to moderate anyone since yinz all behave so well.” (Though mayhaps I’m just too old for a revolutionary …)

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
In the first JRRT site I joined back in 2013, I found this news tidbit:
“It seems that actor Will Poulter (from The Maze Runner series) has been cast as a lead role in the upcoming LoTR TV series.”

As I’m seriously non-current on things filmmaking since about the year 2000 (except PJ’s JRRT fanfics), I popped over to Wikipedia for some enlightenment. Which led to my following comment to the above post in that other JRRT site:

“Yikes, what a pup! (he’s only 26 years old, but seems to have been in some “Narnia” film, besides the "Maze Runner" stuff mentioned above.)
Though by some of JRRT's writings about the aging of the Númenóreans of the royal line (those 400-year-olds) he could play an 80-year-old.
But still, barring the use of heavy prosthetics, are Amazon gearing this to the teenie market? *shudder*

Actually, I’m only posting my curmudgeonly comment in the hope of getting Erestor Arcamen out of boredom as declared in a post to my introductory thread: “So glad, I was getting bored not having to moderate anyone since yinz all behave so well.” (Though mayhaps I’m just too old for a revolutionary …)
This post is a riot.

He played Eustace Scrubb in Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

CL

Olorgando

Reaction score
Another tidbit from that other JRRT site, this time dealing with "Amazon's writing ream!"

"After hearing some of the details about the upcoming Amazon Middle Earth production, I'm getting nervous. Mainly, the writing team has me cringing: two Abrams Star Trekkers (J.D. Payne, Patrick McKay) and a Game of Thrones and a Breaking Bad writer each. Quite a rogues gallery, IMHO. How could you get more unlike the High Tory Luddite pre-Vatican II monarchist J.R.R. Tolkien than that? After watching Amazon's "Carnival Row" with its rough, crude GoT vibe, I fear such a low-brow approach for any ME they'd do. I always felt that Jackson et al. just barely stumbled across the finish line, but with these Amazon philistines? Alas...."

Both named writers as well as named shows draw a complete blank with me. The shows may be on some of our private TV channels, and I may have seen that in our TV's internal "TV guide" while scrolling through. But as for content - nada.

So my question: should we start worrying, or like the above poster, get nervous? :eek:

Last edited:

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
Another tidbit from that other JRRT site, this time dealing with "Amazon's writing ream!"

"After hearing some of the details about the upcoming Amazon Middle Earth production, I'm getting nervous. Mainly, the writing team has me cringing: two Abrams Star Trekkers (J.D. Payne, Patrick McKay) and a Game of Thrones and a Breaking Bad writer each. Quite a rogues gallery, IMHO. How could you get more unlike the High Tory Luddite pre-Vatican II monarchist J.R.R. Tolkien than that? After watching Amazon's "Carnival Row" with its rough, crude GoT vibe, I fear such a low-brow approach for any ME they'd do. I always felt that Jackson et al. just barely stumbled across the finish line, but with these Amazon philistines? Alas...."

Both named writers as well as named shows draw a complete blank with me. The shows may be on some of our private TV channels, and I may have seen that in our TV's internal "TV guide" while scrolling through. But as for content - nada.

So my question: should we start worrying, or like the above poster, nervous? :eek:
Yes.

:(

CL

Thread suggestions