🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Lord of the Rings on Prime Updates (Thanks Varking!)

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Some good points, Linden -- and welcome to the forum! As always, you can indroduce yourself on the new members thread, if you like, and say something about your own particular interests; others may be able to help direct you to specific forums here -- there are so many, it gets a bit confusing! It's here:

I haven't been keeping up with all the news on this series. One thing I'm wondering: is this just "the LOTR Project" or is "The Lord of the Rings" in the title? If so, it would seem necessary to have Sauron as the central figure, and the casting would be crucial, as he would need to project a great nobility; otherwise, his seduction of both the Elves and Numenoreans would not be very convincing.

Linden

Reaction score
I'm sure Sauron will be a central figure, and perhaps it won't be clear, at first, who he is. As the story goes he gave knowledge to the elves, and they to him, but he had no part in the forging of the three. The one was forged in Orodruin in Mordor in secret. I can't remember the temporal juxtaposition of the forging of the rings of power and the fall of Numenor, but if the include both these threads then I would expect them to overlap in the series. Alternatively they could have different time lines going. The corruption of the bearers of the nine could also figure in. Sauron lost his fair form at the fall of Numenor I believe, so the ring creation would preceed that...

I participated in discussions about PJ's movies as they were being created, and of course read the books long ago. I am curious to see what the Amazon effort produces.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
S.A. 600 return of first Numenorean ships to Middle Earth

c. 1200 Sauron begins seduction of Elves. Numenoreans begin permanent havens

c. 1500 Elves begin forging Rings of Power

1590 The Three Rings

1600 Sauron forges the One

1693 War of Elves and Sauron begins

1700 Sauron defeated, returns to the East

1800 Numenoreans establish dominions on the coasts

c. 2251 Nazgul appear

3261 Ar-Pharazon lands at Umbar

3319 Downfall of Numenor

There could well be some overlapping, but I'd expect the stories of the Rings and the corruption of Numenor to be covered by different seasons.

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
… There is the awakening of the Balrog of Moria ...
Thank you for your update, Linden.
But the Balrog of Moria does not appear until the year 1980 Third Age, according to Appendix B in RoTK, "The Tale of Years", section "The Third Age".
So if Amazon is "doing" the Second Age, no (awake) Balrog in Moria.
But then what does "Hollywood" (used as an extensive term) care about accuracy … 🤨

Linden

Reaction score
Thanks for those timelines both. It's been a while since I looked at the apendicies. I was just offering an opinion based on reading press accounts of the past few months, so not really an update with new information. One piece suggested that Brexit uncertainty figured into the decision to go to New Zealand, which has studios, landscape, and expertise with this type of project.

Olorgando

Reaction score
One piece suggested that Brexit uncertainty figured into the decision to go to New Zealand, which has studios, landscape, and expertise with this type of project.
Now that's an interesting point. I vaguely recall that locations in Scotland were being mulled over. I' guessing the Scots (who voted against the Brexit anyway) are getting madder and madder at those lunatic Tories.

Olorgando

Reaction score
We do tend to frown on politics here. :)
Par for the course. It's just getting difficult for me to keep current politics (world-wide) separated from what clinical psychiatrists might diagnose as severe cases requiring stationary treatment, in maximum-security wards in some cases. 😨

Linden

Reaction score
Point of order - what are the rules for posting links to exrernal sources? I am getting a spam warning when trying to do so.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
It may depend on the site or if you're a newer member since we've had issues with spam/bot accounts posting external links in the past. Not to say that you're a spammer (you're obviously not) but that's what I would think would be the cause.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I don't know if it's similar, but still get an occasional "Oops! We ran into problems" notice when I post. Normally, if I backbutton and try again, it works OK.

Olorgando

Reaction score
I just went into my most recent post in the ”What music are you listening to at this moment?” thread in the Green Dragon Inn forum, which has the link to the Deep Purple “Stormbringer” YouTube music file (no video) from my reply to Miguel’s post just above, and clicked on “edit”.

The link then shows up as text (I’m guessing the ominous “BB code), which I copy over to a Word file, to make it visible I’m substituting parentheses for the square brackets, and also leaving the original with the square brackets at the bottom to see if the link survives being copied to Word from my above-mentioned mentioned post, and then back into this post here.
(MEDIA=youtube)tNWWIKqMKr8(/MEDIA)

EDIT
OK, seems to work. Of course this is not the same as being in the source program and linking from there (or whatever it is those with fewer than ten thumbs IT-wise do).

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Here's one of the articles Linden was trying to link. Let's give it a try:

Is that the one, Linden?

Olorgando

Reaction score
I think I already read that interview via a link provided on one of my other JRRT sites (probably CoE), as the interview took place before I joined here.
If Shippey is right about the series starting to be aired in 2021 (20 years after PJ's "Fellowship") they still have a way to go.
I have no recollection of what kind of or how many "peeks" at the works in progress for the LoTR films were released.
Certainly the Internet was a much smaller part of daily lives back then (it would still be six years after "Fellowship's" before Apple introduced the first i-phone!).

Linden

Reaction score
So, there are two 'provisional' names - "Tyra" (Kyra?) and "Beldor". Not much else I could dig up at the moment. I am guessing Numenorian characters and that the forging of the rings of power and the rise and fall of Numenor will figure as the main subjects. Any thoughts on the names, as in not elvish?

Olorgando

Reaction score
So, there are two 'provisional' names - "Tyra" (Kyra?) and "Beldor". Not much else I could dig up at the moment. I am guessing Numenorian characters and that the forging of the rings of power and the rise and fall of Númenor will figure as the main subjects. Any thoughts on the names, as in not elvish?
As for knowledge about Elvish, as per a post I found elsewhere here Galin seems to be the one to ask here.
Souring my Guides / Companions / Lexicons yields nothing starting with either Ty or Ky.
But "Tyra" does conjure up visions of "Tauriel", the PJ-invented female warrior Elf (awfully close to a Mary Sue) in The Hobbit film series. Er ...
"Beldor" - only thing I find there is "Baldor", eldest son of the second King of Rohan and thus grandson of Eorl the Young. He ended up as the skeleton found on the Paths of the Dead under the Dwimorberg mountain of the White Mountains which Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the northern rangers found when they took the short-cut from Dunharrow to the south - in book certainly, in movie (EE?) maybe.
They're trolling (or trawling? I can't stop getting the two confused) for names, perhaps … :rolleyes:

Thread suggestions