🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Lord of the Rings on Prime Updates (Thanks Varking!)

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
As for knowledge about Elvish, as per a post I found elsewhere here Galin seems to be the one to ask here.
Souring my Guides / Companions / Lexicons yields nothing starting with either Ty or Ky.
But "Tyra" does conjure up visions of "Tauriel", the PJ-invented female warrior Elf (awfully close to a Mary Sue) in The Hobbit film series. Er ...
"Beldor" - only thing I find there is "Baldor", eldest son of the second King of Rohan and thus grandson of Eorl the Young. He ended up as the skeleton found on the Paths of the Dead under the Dwimorberg mountain of the White Mountains which Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the northern rangers found when they took the short-cut from Dunharrow to the south - in book certainly, in movie (EE?) maybe.
They're trolling (or trawling? I can't stop getting the two confused) for names, perhaps … :rolleyes:
It's not like elvish and Tolkien language sites are just a tap and click away....

Rich people...NO creativity.

CL

Miguel

Reaction score
Joseph Mawle, a villain called "Oren"?.

Orendil?, i'm confused. I think he's a nice addition.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
Joseph Mawle, a villain called "Oren"?.

Orendil?, i'm confused. I think he's a nice addition.
Why aren't they looking up *actual* Tolkien names instead of making them up? It reeks of lazy direction.

I got the name for my fan-fic (which I WILL get back to) from just searching online, says a lot about Amazon.

CL

Last edited:

Miguel

Reaction score
Why aren't they looking up *actual* Tolkien names instead of making them up? It reeks of lazy direction.

I got the name for my fan-pic (which I WILL get back to) from just searching online, says a lot about Amazon.

CL
Requesting Shippey :D

Is Oren "Orendil" Isildur?. Maybe a provisional nickname?.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Requesting Shippey :D

Is Oren "Orendil" Isildur?. Maybe a provisional nickname?.
As per my lexicons, Orendil was the eldest son of Eldacar II, the latter being the 21st King of Gondor (1432-37 and 1447-90 Third Age). Eldacar II in his turn was the son of Valacar, who had lived long among the Northmen of Rhovanion (at the wishes of his father Rómendacil II), and had married the daughter of their King Vidugavia, Vidumavi. Eldacar was thus seen by some in Gondor as "half-breed", which led to the rebellion and interregnum from 1437-1447 TA by the tyrannical Castamir the Usurper. Among Castamir's misdeed was the execution of Orendil.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Beldor; Tyra; Oren; Eldien (supposedly main character?); Neldor; Eira; Aric; Calenon; Loda; Kari; Hamson; Cole.
They're staying away from canon character names, it seems.

That said.
There's not that much canon about the Second Age, mostly from "Unfinished Tales":
"The line of Elros: Kings (missing: Queens!) of Númenor"
"Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife"
"The history of Galadriel and Celeborn"

All of the "Rings" action takes place in Middle-earth.
1200 "... but the smiths of Eregion are won over [by Sauron, having been rebuffed by Gil-galad]"
1500 "The Elven-smiths … begin the forging of the Rings of Power"
1590 "The Three Rings are completed in Eregion"
1600 "Sauron forges the One Ring …"
1693 "War of the Elves and Sauron begins …"
1695 "Sauron's forces invade Eriador …"
1697 "Eregion laid waste. Death of Celebrimbor …"
1699 "Sauron overruns Eriador."
1700 "... Sauron is defeated"
1701 "Sauron is driven out of Eriador …"

But this is mostly Elven stuff. Gil-galad, Celebrimbor, Elrond, Cirdan … Galadriel and Celeborn in "cameos"?

Those names bandied about by the linked article and that I wrote above do not sound Elven.
And never mind the short character descriptions.
The latter sound just all too Seventh Age (I may have previously mentioned my severe Dallas 'n' Dynasty allergy …) 🤢

Thread suggestions