🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Lord of the Rings on Prime Updates (Thanks Varking!)

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
If the situation for Prime is as tenuous as the article suggests, it could, on the one hand, push them to emphasize high-quality, original writing and production. On the other hand, they may feel the need to play it safe, and go with lowest-common-denominator clichés.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
If the situation for Prime is as tenuous as the article suggests, it could, on the one hand, push them to emphasize high-quality, original writing and production. On the other hand, they may feel the need to play it safe, and go with lowest-common-denominator clichés.
Ten bucks on the latter.

CL

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score

Gabriel Perry

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they're going with invented characters because it gives latitude for "new" stories, or because of some constraints from the estate on the use of canon. Anyone know?
I've heard that they were going to be basing it roughly off of the Silmarillion... but I wouldn't put much be that.

Quick answer.... Is it even worth watching in any sense? Even if you have to throw out the possibility of it being canon?

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Quick answer.... Is it even worth watching in any sense? Even if you have to throw out the possibility of it being canon?
There are basically three groups of viewer:
The book-first set, by tendency older on average (it has been 18 years since "Fellowship" premiered), including the hard-core book nerds, many critical of PJ.
The film-first set who felt motivated by the films to go take a look at the book sources, with varying results; some may have also become book nerds.
The film-only set, whose only "knowledge" of "book-canon" is derived by the harangues of the book nerds on sites like this, perhaps also in print and TV.
I see no reason why the third set, at the very least, might not (edit: oops!) be eagerly anticipating the Amazon series.
As I mentioned elsewhere, there are aspects of the six films over both books in which PJ and the entire crew did an amazing job (some CGI from LoTR might look a bit dated by now). So the template against which the Amazon series will be measured by the film-only set is PJ's double trilogy.
As I posted above (oh - on Christmas Eve my time - and very early in the morning ...) that could be a tall order for Amazon ...

Last edited:

Gabriel Perry

Reaction score
There are basically three groups of viewer:
The book-first set, by tendency older on average (it has been 18 years since "Fellowship" premiered), including the hard-core book nerds, many critical of PJ.
The film-first set who felt motivated by the films to go take a look at the book sources, with varying results; some may have also become book nerds.
The film-only set, whose only "knowledge" of "book-canon" is derived by the harangues of the book nerds on sites like this, perhaps also in print and TV.
I see no reason why the third set, at the very least, might be eagerly anticipating the Amazon series.
As I mentioned elsewhere, there are aspects of the six films over both books in which PJ and the entire crew did an amazing job (some CGI from LoTR might look a bit dated by now). So the template against which the Amazon series will be measured by the film-only set is PJ's double trilogy.
As I posted above (oh - on Christmas Eve my time - and very early in the morning ...) that could be a tall order for Amazon ...
Good answer, thanks. I'll probably try it apprehensively. :D

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I would venture to say that we have gotten far enough past the PJ FanFix that there are some young teenage folk who are discovering Lord if the Rings from the books again. I had a discussion with a couple! This is a good thing that will likely be ruined by this Middle Amazon Earth fanfic coming up.

I will take a peek atthe finished product if I still have Amazon Prime.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score

StarGift

Reaction score
I would venture to say that we have gotten far enough past the PJ FanFix that there are some young teenage folk who are discovering Lord if the Rings from the books again. I had a discussion with a couple! This is a good thing that will likely be ruined by this Middle Amazon Earth fanfic coming up.
[/QUOTE]

Yes there are. I am one of those "young teenage folk" you know we should think of the PJ movies as fanfics. They're like fanfics where "what if the hobbits never met Bombadil?" "What if Faramir was super rude and kept them in basically a prison cell?" What if" "what if"...

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Just so everyone is aware the new show is getting a social media presence and we have a new map to look at that may or may not provide clues as to when the new series could take place.
Current Map:

I need some search help here.
I have this bee in my bonnet that somewhere on TTF there must be a thread which may also show this map, but definitely shows several others.
It might be that rather than the other maps being explicitly shown as Varking did with this one, the post contained a link to another site where the actual other maps are shown (some for all of Middle-earth, with Aman pre-downfall-of-Númenor still on the left edge, IIRC).
Does anyone remember which thread this might have been, if it existed at all?

Many thanks in advance. 🤔🤔🤔

Thread suggestions