🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

LOTR ending?

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Does anyone know where LOTR will end? Will the ending be Gandalf, Bilbo, & Frodo sailing away to the Grey Havens or Sam sitting @ the table with Rosie saying "its good to be home'" (or whatever he says). Personally, I never liked the ending to the books because I was expecting such a monumental ending and instead all I got was Sam at the dinner table :rolleyes: Oh well, I'm interested to see what will happen on screen.

Greymantle

Reaction score
I don't know, I really love that ending... it's so poignant in its simplicity. After all the great, monumental and epic adventures, Sam returns to his simple home and the book ends with the words "Well, I'm back." That has never failed to make me cry.

Last edited:

Greymantle

Reaction score
"1482: Death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day. On September 22 Master Samwise rides out from Bad End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the Red Book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is handed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens, and passed over the Sea, last of the Ring-bearers."
-LotR, Appendix B

Todd1700

Reaction score
Don't remember where I read it....

but I feel like I saw somewhere that it will end at the Grey Havens or at least that was the plan. Still a lot of editing and finishing work to do on TROTK.

Greymantle

Reaction score
Harad, you were the one suggesting filming the passing of the entire Fellowship, which is mostly Appendix material. That was certainly not my proposition. I was simply correcting you when you said that Sam did not cross the Sea.

Bad End...hehe.... I think I'll leave that in, it's funny.

R

ReadWryt

I suspect that from the fact that there is, in the New Line Cast Listing for the three films, a credit for Samwise's daughter, we might possibly see Sam telling the story to his child at home with Rosie and the Gamgee tribe...

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Ahh ha!

I found a spoiler pic of Sam running through the gate and Elanor hugging him! The kid seems to be about 5 in the pic....
So, maybe Sam will see Frodo off, come home, and then say his famous line...?

mandy_pal

Reaction score
ending?

I am 90% sure that the third movie will end with Sam coming home and saying "i'm back" or something like that. Unless they cut it out...hmmm. I've got a picture of Sam with Elanor...i'll share it with u...also i've post a picture of eomer, eowyn, grima wormtongue, shadowfax, and aragorn with Anduril. Enjoy!:)

Also, I am not sure if you can attach multiple files, so if you only see one picture, then i'll just have to post one at a time...:rolleyes:

Attachments

mandy_pal

Reaction score
another one

ok, just confirmed that u can only post one at a time...so here's another pic

Attachments

mandy_pal

Reaction score
another

and another...just realized that u can only post once every 60 seconds, so i have to wait...da di da di da, ba ba ba ba di, etc

Attachments

mandy_pal

Reaction score
Arwen

i've read many debates about whether Arwen will be at Helm's Deep...she will. Prove??? here's a picture of her on her horse...Asfaloth (or something). I think she brings Anduril to Aragorn...that's of course my opinion

Attachments

Tuor

Nobody important
Reaction score
I dunno... It sure LOOKS like she's been fighting, or at least riding hard.

WARDNINE

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah.. Elanor is played by Astin's daughter. How precious is that? (Rolls eyes..)
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Astin was completely miscast? I thought every single actor did an acceptable, if not dead-on job, EXCEPT Astin.
Shoot... Anyone else HATE him playing Sam?
Or am I crazy?

WARDNINE

Reaction score
Argh! Why is it always meeeeeeeeee?
I despise the way he switches from US to Scottish to Cockney to Queen's Engish accent.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Anyhow, glad it's only me. That means a zillion people aren't going to be disappointed in TTT and ROTK when his dang role gets really big.
-Why did the asthmatic dwarf run from Lonely Mountain? He heard there was a big Smaug problem there... " Yuk yuk....

Loiosh

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next two films as he begins to share the burden of the Ring and becomes the strength that allows Frodo to get as far as he did.

Thread suggestions