🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

LOTR Trivia

grendel

Reaction score
Sharp-ears, Wise-nose, Swish-tail,
Bumpkin, White-socks, and of course Old Fatty Lumpkin!

Why did Elrond decide the Fellowship should have nine members?

Flammifer

Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
Reaction score
The Fellowship was made up of nine members known as the "Nine Walkers" because they were to be set against the Nine Riders, The Nazgul "that are evil".

OK......here's one:

What was Grishnakh doing when he died, by whom was he killed, and by what kind of weapon?

KellGreenleaf

Reaction score
An orc of Mordor, and probably one of the Uruk-hai. He was part of the raiding party that captured Merry and Pippin at Parth Galen, and was slain by the Riders of Éomer near the eaves of Fangorn Forest. How he died I would have to say from a spear.

Who or what was Ungoliant?

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
Ungoliant was a maia corrupted by Melkor , she accompanied him to Valinor and sucked the the Two Trees dry.
:)

How many Riders did a full éoréd consist of ?

KellGreenleaf

Reaction score
An éored was the main military division of the Rohirrim, normally consisting of one hundred and twenty Riders.

What was Tárion?

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
name for the last and most important of the six days that made up the Elves' week

:)
seems to be just the two of us tonight... nevermind.

next up :

Which influential hobbit family did the Hornblowers of the Longbottom Leaf fame marry into?

KellGreenleaf

Reaction score
I can't believe you got that question :p. Anyways nice job.

For the anwser im going to have to say they married into the Baggins family? Because Frodo's great grandfather Largo, married Tanta Hornblower. Well I think thats what it is, I could be wrong. :p

KellGreenleaf

Reaction score
I'm male, lol, sorry if the name makes me sound like a girl.

Anyways, the second of the Three Houses of the Edain originally dwelt east of where?

KellGreenleaf

Reaction score
Hmmm, yes you are correct. Sorry I'm tired. I'll ask a different question. Here goes an easy one. :p

Who sent Gwahir to help Frodo and Sam on mount doom?

Flammifer

Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
Reaction score
When and why was the Tower of Orthanc sealed ?
By this do you mean locked? Or actually sealed?

It was sealed in the chapter Flotsam and Jetsam when Gandalf asks Treebeard to pour water back into all the chasms under Isengard to prevent a possible secret escape of Saruman from Orthanc.

It was locked when Treebeard allowed Saruman to leave Orthanc with Wormtongue and go wherever he chose. Treebeard made Saruman lock it and give him the key so no one would set foot inside Orthanc. This was done because now that there was a King who had regained his ancient realm, Orthanc was the King's property, and people entered and left it by his leave.

Is this what you're looking for?

Also, from before.....

Who or what was Ungoliant?
No offense to the questioner KellGreenleaf, but this question is too broad and unknown to answer with any surety. Indeed the controversy surrounding Ungoliant is nearly as great as the Winged Balrog debate or whether or not the Sons of Elrond went over the Sea at the end of the Third Age. Starflower's answer was very good, and seems the most likely, but no text ever says specifically that Ungoliant was a Maia. She was a "corrupted spirit" or something. Anyway, must letting you know! Sorry to be pedantic! :)

Thread suggestions