🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

LOTR Trivia

Flammifer

Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
Reaction score
Yeah come on Starflower, we're waiting!

Actually it's OK, not everyone can get online everyday.......:)

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
well Flammifer, your answers are good, but not right on target. I'm looking for an occasion when it is specifically mentioned that the Tower of Orthanc was "sealed".
And as for Ungoliant, other than it being uncertain whether or not she was a maia, we know the rest of the answer to be true. She was definitely female, was corrupted by Melkor and did suck the Two Trees dry :)

Flammifer

Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
Reaction score
Can't argue with that!

About Orthanc.......hmm......is this mentioned in the main body of LotR or in the Appendices?

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
this would be in the appendices im pretty sure. don't have the book here to check but it should be in the appendices , it is in the book anyway , somewhere... =)

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
well the question was When and why was the Tower of Orthanc sealed ?
you've told me when but why ?

Flammifer

Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
Reaction score
Hmm......that's strange.....I've got the date 2759 TA in my book that says "Saruman takes up his abode in Isengard", but I don't have the the date 2510 TA that JOSH has mentioned!

For my 2510 TA it just says stuff about Celebrian departing over the Sea, Orcs overrunning Calenardhon, and then Eorl coming to save the day at the Field of Celebrant, and then the Rohirrim settling in Calenardhon. :confused:

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Well, I am unsure of whether or not this would be the correct answer, but all it says in UT is that Orthanc fell out of the interest of the Gondorians, and was eventually sealed and handed over to the Rohirrim. It was then seized by the Dunlendings under the time of the rule of King Déor. Saruman then received the keys in 2759 TA under the rule of King Fréaláf Hildeson. In the year 2510 Eorl won the Field of Celebrant, but it never mentions the closing of the tower of Orthanc. That may be written on the same page as Eorl's victory in UT, but that doesn't mean they occured in the same year. One could infer this, but to do so it may be taking it out of context. However, Flammifer, you are absolutely correct in saying that there is no exact date we're given, unless there is one in HoME that I haven't seen. As I said, the reason it was closed was because it fell out of interest. The only other possible reason mentioned was the threat of the Dunlendings.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
May I ask a question? If so, mine would be. Are Aragorn and Arwen related, and if so, how are they related? And for those who want extra points :)D), do they have Maiar blood in them? I already know the answer to this, but genealogy lore is one of the most arduous of all tasks (I find). So, I just thought it would be nice of me to give you all something to do. ;)

Celebthôl

Loremaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Úlairi
May I ask a question? If so, mine would be. Are Aragorn and Arwen related, and if so, how are they related? And for those who want extra points :)D), do they have Maiar blood in them? I already know the answer to this, but genealogy lore is one of the most arduous of all tasks (I find). So, I just thought it would be nice of me to give you all something to do. ;)
Haha!! Aulë, Nóm and I tried to solve this one time, i think we figured out that Arwen was 1/64th Maia and Aragorn was something like 1/420,000th Maia, :rolleyes: :D

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
well to clarify, Ulairi provided a good summary.. but to put it simply :
The tower of Orthanc was sealed by Cirion the steward of GOndor when the land of Calenardhon was given to the Rohirrim and the keys were taken back to Gondor and they were given to Saruman when he took abode in Isengard a long time later.

:)

and technically Ulairi dear, you're supposed to wait for the answer to be confirmed before asking a new one, but I don;t mind :0

as to yours, Arwen is the daughter of Elrond, and Aragorn is descended in a direct line from his brother Elros. Technically they would be something like cousins in the 364th degree or something, but since one is an elf and the other one is a human same rules don't apply. And both have maiar blood in them through Melian, who married Thingol, their daughter was Luthien, whose son was Dior, whose daughter was Elwing, who was Elrond and Elros' mother. :) this what you were looking for ?

grendel

Reaction score
If you guys don't mind an observation, from someone who is NOT a Tolkien "scholar"...

We're sort of getting away from trivia and into research projects here... let's make it so everyone can play, hmmmm?

Flammifer

Dagnir-en-Ancalagon
Reaction score
I agree with grendel...the purpose of this thread was to provide a trivia challenge that was separate from the Quiz thread in the Hall of Fire. It was put here so that those who had only read the LotR series could still participate in a trivia game without having to be able to speak fluent Sindarin, Quenya and Adunaic.

The last question requires the answerer (word?) to have read the Silmarillion, so it is unfair to those who haven't read this text.

So let's keep it to Lord of the Rings based question, yeah? :)

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Well, it's customary for the person who answered the question to post the next one, but seeing as Inderjit S hasn't posted, and Starflower took over my question, I will ask the next one. At which port do the rivers Ringlo, Ciril and Morthrond meet the sea? What mountain range do they all originate from?

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Well, Inderjit S, you should be posting a question! But, here I go again, and the mountains are preferrably the Ered Nimrais. Anyway, this is for good ol' Inderjit. Who do you believe Fúkil to be? Another if you get that one. Who is Shorob? Enjoy! ;)

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Úlairi said:
Well, Inderjit S, you should be posting a question! But, here I go again, and the mountains are preferrably the Ered Nimrais. Anyway, this is for good ol' Inderjit. Who do you believe Fúkil to be? Another if you get that one. Who is Shorob? Enjoy! ;)

Ulairi , this question demands answers that are not found in the actual LOTR books, they are found in the HoME books... thus you shouldn't ask a question that's not relevant to the LOTR itself..... could you ask another where the answer can be found actually in the LOTR. thanks

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Starflower said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ulairi , this question demands answers that are not found in the actual LOTR books, they are found in the HoME books... thus you shouldn't ask a question that's not relevant to the LOTR itself..... could you ask another where the answer can be found actually in the LOTR. thanks
Quite right Starflower, but question of relevance to LoTR is an absurdity per se, as all that is discussed is the history behind it. As for asking questions of LoTR, I find it very problematic, as people will go straight to the indexes, and there is no challenge whatsoever. What I have asked Inderjit S cannot be found in the indexes without some serious searching, as it is in HoME 1. However, to steal Inderjit S's thunder, I will answer the questions I asked, hence giving me authority to ask the next question. And Inder, when you post next (as it is inevitable ;) ), remember to ask a question yourself! In answer to the question of Fúkil, he is the servant of Melko(r), and is mentioned twice in The Book of Lost Tales Part I. He ia also know as Fankil and Fangli. I personally believe these names to be the original names of Sauron himself.

In answer to the second question Shorob/Sharob is indeed Gandalf, it is his name in the East, but it was later discarded as it was decided by Tolkien that Olórin was not to journey to the East, as this was the role of the Ithryn Luin, Morinehtar (or Alatar in Aman) and Rómestámo (or Pallando in Aman) translated as Darkness-slayer and East-helper respectively.

Well, I must now decide on a suitable question that may take Inder more than five minutes to discover. ;) What relation is Frodo Baggins to Gundabald Bolger?

Thread suggestions