🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

M-e 21 questions (or "Who or what am I")

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
OK, since ArwenStar has introduced a new game, I'll suggest my other favorite game from the same site as the "Hangman" one.
This one goes under two different names under the main site and that "sub-site" I mentioned thus the two alternative names above.

The challenger states what is being looked for, a character, a creature, a place, an object … maybe someone else can come up with more categories, but with TH, LoTR and especially the Sil, there's already tons of stuff in these three.

People then take turns asking questions about the challenge. Typical requests for a place would be "are you inhabited", "are you east/west/south/north of a river/mountain range/forest", "are you in Gondor/Arnor/Mordor/Rohan/Beleriand etc" (so no asking "where are you located"), "do you exist in the X Age" (which gives a "No" for Beleriand after the First Age, and also for Númenor if the question is First or Third Ages).
For an object a popular question would be "Are you portable", "are you (a) weapon/clothing/jewelry/furniture" etc., "are you made of metal (gold/silver/Mithril/iron etc.)/wood/stone/cloth" etc., "were you made by Elves(Dwarves/Men/Orcs" etc.
For persons there are "are you mortal/immortal (Note: in Arda, Elves are immortal!)", "are you male/female", "are you evil" (has some gray areas according to personal taste), "did you live in the X Age" - this could be tricky for Elves; but as we almost hear only of Glorfindel returning after having been bodily destroyed in the First Age, for Fëanor the answer to "Immortal" would be "Yes", but as for living in the Second or later Ages it would be "No". "Do you live in Gondor/Arnor/Mordor/Rohan/Beleriand etc".

The game is called "21 questions" because that is the maximum number of questions that are allowed to be asked. Questions asked must be entered in the next post, so the post keeps getting longer.
In addition, three guesses (not counting towards the 21 questions) are allowed, and you do not need to wait until the end until posting a guess. Some were solved by a guess after maybe 10 or 12 questions. After 15 questions, the member posing the challenge can start giving hint that narrow down the possibilities (especially if those asking/guessing are off on the wrong track)

Whoever solves get to pose the next challenge. Solutions must be given if all 21 questions have been used up and all three guesses were wrong. Should the challenger stump the players, either the challenger starts another challenge, or by agreement someone else can also do so.

Again as with "Hangman", I'll "recycle" one from the other site, and I'll make it a bit easier by including the first three questions asked and the answers to them - in the next post to this thread.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Are you west of a river?
Eh? erm … as persons are mobile … that's more of a "place" question, TTL. 😕 I won't count it to keep the count from "bloating".

And a general hint, folks: read the unanswered questions. For example, if Ri_li (I know I'm asking for trouble again! 😉 ) had asked "Did you live in the First Age", it would have been better for Starbrow to ask another question, since if my answer were to be "No", obviously Beleriand had sunk beneath the waves due to the War of Wrath … or don't ask "Are you an Elf/Maia/Human/Dwarf" before the previous question "Are you mortal/Immortal" has been answered. Hokay, so ...

I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
4. Are you from the race of men? Yes
5. Did you live in Beleriand? No

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
6. Do you live in Gondor? Yes

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
7. Did you meet Frodo? No, that's way after my time

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Are you a god?
Erestor, as per question 3 I'm mortal … I'll skip this question, try again ;)

I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
8. Are you a king? No

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
8. Are you a king? No
9. Are you a relative of Elendil? No (quite long after his time)
10. Are you a steward? Yes

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
8. Are you a king? No
11. Are you a ruling steward? (Mardil Voronwe and later successors) No

ArwenStar

Reaction score
Ok. I can only think of three stewards who didn’t rule Gondor. Húrin, pelendur, and vorondil.
Are you one of these three?

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I'm a person.

1. Are you evil? No
2. Are you male? Yes
3. Are you mortal? Yes
8. Are you a king? No
11. Are you a ruling steward? (Mardil Voronwe and later successors) No
12. Are you one of these three [Húrin, Pelendur, and Vorondil?] Yes 😁

Thread suggestions