🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Mahanaxar

syongstar

Elf Musician
Reaction score
Why do you think the Valar's thrown room was named the "ring of doom?"

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Umm...why not? ;)

I mean it was the place where the fate of Arda was contemplated and decided...

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
I agree! Why the ring of doom? Valar are supposed to be creators and masters of making things beautiful according to the theme of Eru. Unless is was named after the uprising of Melkor and it became a place of judgement?!

Maybe the ring was a gloomy place!!! :D :D :D

Lorien

Registered
Reaction score
it couldnt possibly be a happy place.....cos the valar would sometimes have to make descions that could cause great harm to arda and maybe thats y its the ring of doom......

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
Doom as in judgment. So you can think of it as the Ring of Judgment.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first reply so I'll try again: I understand doom in the "ring of doom" - according to Webster's :

doom(v.t.) to destine to a fate involving death, suffering or unhappiness

so it appears a perfect name to me (even when I'm lost when I try to interpret the grammatical form of doom as a transitive verb halfway correctly in this name...) ;)

Last edited:

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Máhanaxar, the 'Doom-ring' in whitch were set the thrones of the Valar whereon they sat in council. [....]
Reduced and altered from V maxananaskad.
Also transelated Rithil-Anamo
WoTJ p. 401
maxananaskad is not written correctly here since my keybord don't have all the letters/signs that are required..

Brent

Reaction score
Originally posted by Walter
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first reply so I'll try again: I understand doom in the "ring of doom" - according to Webster's :

doom(v.t.) to destine to a fate involving death, suffering or unhappiness

so it appears a perfect name to me (even when I'm lost when I try to interpret the grammatical form of doom as a transitive verb halfway correctly in this name...) ;)
Ah yes but thats Mr Webster, waiscoat n' all. Tolkien uses the phrase Doom in the old English sense - it has a meaning akin to law and fate. Hence Mandos is the Doomsayer or Doom master.
In an Andlo-Saxon settlement there would be a Ring of Doom a place where judgement was handed down to wrong doers and the Big Cheese would discuss weighty matters with his Thains (nobles)
Another one is Weird. Weird means fate, the path a man follows.

Elostirion

Reaction score
certainly shows the importance of adopting an appropriate etymological mindset when reading the Good Professor's work

Thread suggestions