🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Maiar Allegiance to Morgoth

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
It is clear that many Maiar gave allegiance to Melkor. Some he perverted or corrupted, but many were simply drawn to his splendour.

What is it about Morgoth that attracted so many Maiar to join with him in rebelling against the works of Iluvatar and the Valar?

Were they disillusioned or did they consciously choose to allign themselves with him? This also adds to the debate previously held regarding Melkor; Evil by will, Evil by Nature, that in the very beginning of days many of the Maiar may likewise have been instilled with the same evil desires.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ancalagon
It is clear that many Maiar gave allegiance to Melkor. Some he perverted or corrupted, but many were simply drawn to his splendour.

What is it about Morgoth that attracted so many Maiar to join with him in rebelling against the works of Iluvatar and the Valar?

What are your thoughts?
I think that Melkor in some way offered the maiar a way to do something new, to grow (in a sort of different way) to be more than they themselves were. It´s probable that they saw Melkor as a sort of revolutionary that wanted to do things the way he tought were better. He was the mightiest of the Ainur.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
One wonders how Melkor would have treated those who had sworn allegiance to him.

Would he have offered promises of power, like Sauron did with the rings to Men and Dwarves? Would he have failed to deliver on these gifts he offered once the Maiar had commited themselves?
One wonders further; did they regret their choice of master when it became clear that Melkor had incited the anger of the Valar who dealt him a fatal blow in the War of Wrath?

What was the attraction that the Maiar felt they were missing while residing with the Valar? Did he seduce them with images of glory, offerings of lands and dominions of there own to order as they pleased? Yet, these Maiar were enough to become some of the most terrible and evil servants imaginable; tormenting the firstborn, why? Torturing the secondborn, why? Destroying and routing the Dwarves to what end? What I wonder is why the Maiar felt the same desire to destroy that which they had created, for it could not have been for the same reasons Melkor chose his path! Surely they knew they were nothing in comparison to the Valar, Melkor being the most powerful.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
i WONDER THAT WHAT HE HAD OFFERED IS POWER, TO CREATE, OR TO RULE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, AND i HAVE THE FEELING THAT THE SPIRITS (AINUR) THAT WERE MORE RELATED TO FIRE WERE THE MOST EASY TO SEDUCE, WHY I (sorry the caps) have this feeling from the Sil the raising of the moon and the sun, where it is said that the maia that were in charge of the last laurelin fruit was a strong maia and that she only among the spirits of fire was not seduce by melkor.
Well just a thought
Greetings

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
. B
Originally posted by Camille
i WONDER THAT WHAT HE HAD OFFERED IS POWER, TO CREATE, OR TO RULE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, AND i HAVE THE FEELING THAT THE SPIRITS (AINUR) THAT WERE MORE RELATED TO FIRE WERE THE MOST EASY TO SEDUCE, WHY I (sorry the caps) have this feeling from the Sil the raising of the moon and the sun, where it is said that the maia that were in charge of the last laurelin fruit was a strong maia and that she only among the spirits of fire was not seduce by melkor.
Well just a thought
Greetings

But does anyone know hiow many people he corrupted? He could have maybe corrupted a few or maybe forced them to come over. Then make them into hideous creatures like balrogs, dragons whatever then forced them 2 breed? He could have just bred them??? Then he would only need a few:confused: :confused: But it is hard to know. They could have just liked the power and maybe they were sick of coming second all the time and wanted to be bigger then the valar??? Melkor could have promised them this and that???

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Lets not forget Sauron. When Morgoth seduced Sauron he promised him great power, and it was given to him. I believe the Maiar were simply drawn by the fact that Morgorth who was so willing to give out power were drawn to that for they wanted to be more powerful than other Maiar. Anyone agree?

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ulairi
Lets not forget Sauron. When Morgoth seduced Sauron he promised him great power, and it was given to him. I believe the Maiar were simply drawn by the fact that Morgorth who was so willing to give out power were drawn to that for they wanted to be more powerful than other Maiar. Anyone agree?

yes i do i think they would have liked the power he could offer and wanted to be more then what they were at the start.

E

Ecthelion.

I think that the main reason that Melkor attracted so many Maiar is because of the power he offered. Not just power in general, but power over others. When you think about it, pretty much every evil person in all of the halls of Ea were all about self-gain.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ecthelion.
I think that the main reason that Melkor attracted so many Maiar is because of the power he offered. Not just power in general, but power over others. When you think about it, pretty much every evil person in all of the halls of Ea were all about self-gain.

that is right. that is what i think.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
I offerd them TRUE power, power to bid otheres to their will!
But if you offered them power to bid others to their will, wouldn´t they leave your service because they wanted to be followed and not follow anyone.

E

Ecthelion.

The offer of power Melkor gave them was so appealing that they came, but couldn't get out. Kinda like the mafia I guess.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
The offer of power Melkor gave them was so appealing that they came, but couldn't get out. Kinda like the mafia I guess.
But what about when Melkor was captured in the end of the FA. Even Sauron kept worshiping him, although Melkor could not do anything to him. Faithful to the last, why? Aren´t they supposed to be evil.:mad:

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Faithful to the last... yes and I think that finally melkor had became evil indeed all this Maia

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Yes, that's right!

:D :D :D Yeas, Sauron was faithful until the end. His plan to take over Middle-earth (which nearly succeeded, mind you) was not for his benefit but for the benefit of his master Melkor, so yes, he was faithful until the end. Oh no, I'm beginning to get a soft spot for evil!!!:D :D :D However, Sauron would have enjoyed the benefits he would have being Lord of Middle-earth!:D :D :D

Anfauglith

Reaction score
don't really evil

I think the maiar thought they were following the steps Iluvatar worked for them, even if they didn't knew that point. Nothing else to say, I think that is correct. :confused:

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
The Maiar that Melkor corrupted were not evil by nature, but as many of you already said, they were brought over with the promise of power, and something no one mentioned, independence. Only Melkor changed the tune in the song of the Ainur. But many Maiar probably felt that they did not have to live under the domination on the Valar, but could have relative freedom under Melkor. Sauron, knowing he would not be forgiven and let back into the realm of the Valar chose to try and reestablish a foothold in Middle Earth where he could be master in the same fashion as Melkor.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Do you think 'envy' may play a role in deciding their allegiance. The promise of power is one thing, however the envy of power is quite another. Many of the Maiar that defected may simply have envied the positions of those above them in the pecking order of power. If this is the case, did Iluvatar foresee this division, this dissention in the ranks?

Melkor was acknowledged as the most powerful of the Valar in the beginning, however his own resentment consumed him and drove him to destroy all that the Valar made. The Maiar were not as powerful, so what was their excuse?

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes, envy was probably a big issue among the Maiar. Just like Melkor was upset at the favor Manwe held with Iluvatar, even though Melkor was the most powerful of the Valar, the Maiar may have been jealous of their more powerful although possibly less potent counterparts. For example, I can clearly see the possibility of a strong lower-level Ainur such as Sauron, who is in the train of Aule become jealous of another one of the Maiar of Aule (Curumo perhaps) and feels he would be given a better deal with Melkor, in whose system he would be the chief's right hand man, so to speak.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I think everyone is missing the boat slightly. Look at the Maia situation from their two possible courses of action.

1) Sit back with the other Vala and wait.... ho hum.... ho hum.... when will the Music of Eru come to fruitian... wait... la ti da... maybe in a couple of thousand years... ho hum... but I love waiting on Elbereth... ho hum... la ti da... and Manwe is so worshipful... ho hum... la ti da... and Mandos' halls are made of beautiful marble...

Well you get the drift. Or...

2) Align yourself with the great lord Melkor and MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN!!! To heck with waiting for the music to unfold itself. Let's use the raw material available and make our own music. Let's shape our own world, make our own destiny, control that which comes and make it worship us. We are the Ainur and we created the Music. We should have dominion over that which we made with Eru.

Scenario 2 is very attractive to the Ainur of Aule. They most wanted to create and shape the world as is evidenced by Sauron joining with Melkor and Saruman's corruption later as he too was of Aule's people. In the end, as with all creatures of "free will", sides were chosen and battle lines were drawn and since all of the Ainur were sprung from the thought of Eru, it was all a part of his "Master Plan"!!

Thread suggestions