🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Maps by Brian Sibley and John Howe

Olorgando

Reaction score
Does anyone else have those three maps by Brian Sibley (text) and John Howe (illustrations)?
They're from 1994 (Third Age Middle-earth), 1995 (The Hobbit) and 1999 (Beleriand, so First-Age Silmarillion).
All three are poster-sized foldouts in a common small-book-sized cover including booklets with Sibley's text.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have those three maps by Brian Sibley (text) and John Howe (illustrations)?
They're from 1994 (Third Age Middle-earth), 1995 (The Hobbit) and 1999 (Beleriand, so First-Age Silmarillion).
All three are poster-sized foldouts in a common small-book-sized cover including booklets with Sibley's text.
I have an old copy of the Silmarillion that is a green hardcover. I think that it has a map of Beleriand attached to the inside cover. I can take a photo and upload it tonight. Not sure if that's one of the maps you're looking for or not.

Olorgando

Reaction score
I have an old copy of the Silmarillion that is a green hardcover. I think that it has a map of Beleriand attached to the inside cover. I can take a photo and upload it tonight. Not sure if that's one of the maps you're looking for or not.
Oops, slight misunderstanding: I have all three maps, I was asking if anyone else in also familiar with them.

Some details:

"The map of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" (sic!), but only in the German translation, so the ISBN is probably that of this German version and of no help for the originals.
German ISBN 3-608-93378-6
text Brian Sibley and illustrations John Howe both © 1994 (German edition 1995, 4th printing 2002)
original map © Christopher Reuel Tolkien 1954, 1980
The map looks very much like an enlarged, color version of the one in my 2002 ""The Fellowship of The Ring" (the illustrations - not the map - there are by Alan Lee, however)

"There and back again: The map of the Hobbit", original and German translation.
ISBN 0 261 10326 1
text Brian Sibley and illustrations John Howe both © 1995 (German edition 1996)
original map © George Allen & Unwin (Publishers) Ltd 1937, 1951, 1966, 1978
Certainly not "Thrain's map" to be found in my hardback TH, more along the lines of the LoTR maps, with a big illustration of Smaug "framing" the small map part, and an illustration of the Dwarves playing their instruments at Bag End with a harried-looking Bilbo in the background,

"The map of Tolkien's Beleriand and the Lands to the north"
ISBN 0 261 10372 5
text Brian Sibley and illustrations John Howe both © 1999 (German edition 2001)
original map © Christopher Reuel Tolkien 1977
The map looks very much like a very enlarged, color version of the very small one in my 1999 hardcover Silmarillion (the book interestingly states "This paperback edition 1999"!)

The last map above, the original map of Beleriand, is the only one I can recall anything about how and when I came about it.
After having decided to buy a sturdy hardcover version of LoTR to supplant in use my decaying (by overuse) mid-1980s paperbacks, ending up with that 2002 edition I mentioned above, I decided to do the same with my Hobbit and Silmarillion. The Hobbit is a passable 2001 edition (though not nearly on a par with my top-notch LoTR Edition), but it does have original JRRT pictures of Smaug on his hoard and the "invisible" Bilbo in the bottom right corner on the front, and a picture of an Eagle on the back. The Silmarillion turned out to be a boxed limited collector's edition with that hardcovered paperback, the Beleriand map by Sibley & Howe, a color postcard with JRRT's picture of Taniquetil, a color foldout with heraldic devices for major characters of the Sil, and a CD with an archive recording from 1977 with CRT reading chapter 19 of the Sil "Beren and Lúthien". Not quite what I had expected ...

The map where memory about how and when I came about it fails utterly is the original Hobbit map. It has a small sticker on the back with the handwriting "21,90" on it, which points to Deutsche Marks time, or pre-Euro, which started on 01 January 2002, Now I am a bookstore prowler, so it may have been a chance find.

The three German translations I certainly bought, rather ordered, after 2001 (when the Beleriand version was published in German). Probably after I noticed the English Beleriand version as a companion to my English Hobbit one; and the PJ films probably had something to do with it. But whether through Amazon Germany (I had a time in the 2000s when I did some book-ordering there, and a couple of DVDs) or one of my favorite bookstores … 🤔😶

All maps are the same size and would make nice posters, 730 millimeters high by 715 millimeters wide (or 28.75 by 28.15 inches).

Thread suggestions