🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Meet the Guild

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
I've been thinking about ways to improve the Guild, and it occured to me that it might be worthwile to sort of formally introduce ourselves to each other. Most of us know one another, but this could be useful to new members, and who knows- maybe we can all learn something. Anyway, I don't think it can hurt. ;)

Name: FoolofATook

Position: Assistant Guild-Master

Rank: I don't actually have a rank of my own. I decided it might be unfair for me to test myself, since I wrote the tests and have the notes with the answers. ;)

Favorite Work of Tolkien's: The Lord Of the Rings

Favorite Book About Tolkien: Three Way Tie: The Road to Middle-earth by Tom Shippey, The Annotated Hobbit by Douglas A. Anderson, and J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter

Favorite Middle-earth Moment: A tie between the Ents marching to Isengard and the various arrivals of the Eagles to save the day

Occupation: I'm an English Major at North Carolina State University

Other Interests: Literature, Writing, Rock music (listening to, not playing), College Basketball, Pro Baseball

Favorite Album: A tie between Pearl Jam's "Yield" and The Beatles' "Rubber Soul", but ask me another day and you'll get a different answer

Favorite Movie: Casablanca

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology: I'm interested in studying the relationship between J.R.R. Tolkien, the man, and Middle-earth, as well as examining Tolkien's influences, and the literary aspects of Tolkien's works.

Who's brave enough to go next? ;)

Last edited:

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
YAWAR

Name: Beleg

Position: None

Favorite Work of Tolkien: Lord of the Rings

Favorite Middle-Earth moment: Hurin reaching Cabed-an-Aras and Finding Morwen there.

Other Interest: Litrature, Sports.

Favorite Album: I like Craig David's song 'Fill me In'

Favorite Movie(s): Braveheart, Godfather

Commitment level about Tolkien: Erm, I am not very committed.

Favorite Character: Turin, Faramir, Finduilas

Books Read: Sil, UT, LOTR, Hobbit, Letters, Parts of HOME, Smith of Wotton Major, Roverandom, Farmer Giles.

Role in Guild: Geopolitical research.

Date of Joining Guild: 11th January, 2003.

Date of Joining Forum: 10th January, 2003.

Last edited:

spirit

Dragon Tamer
Reaction score
Name: spirit

Position: none

Favorite Work of Tolkien's: The Lord Of the Rings

Favorite Middle: earth Moment: battle at helms deep

Other Interests: footy, tekken on ps2, reading book by tolkein and anne rice,

Favorite Album: dont have one but i like nelly, good charlotte (i dont have a taste for music of one kind)

Favorite Movie: LotR: FotR & TTT, dracula 2000 (aka: ves cravens dracula)

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology: talk to ppl about his work, cause the skool i go to is full of loosers (most of them have never heard of tolkein) that dont appericiate tolkeins' work of masterpiece.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Hi! :)
You don't know me?!
Well....

Name: Lhunithiliel

Position: Deputy Guild-Master, in charge of education

Rank: I still don't have one and MasterTook must be furious with me! ;)

Favorite Work of Tolkien's: Silmarillion but the more I get in touch with HoMe, the more I love it!

Favorite Book About Tolkien: Pleeeeease! I am in a period of reading everithing that I can find available about T. But it's such a mess now in my head!

Favorite Middle-earth Moment: Quite a lot, actually! One of my favourite is the moment Turin asks his sword to take his life. The other - the passing of the Grey Company on the Path of the Dead and in fact the whole story around. .... And when the Ring is destroyed and Frodo and Sam are in the middle of the firy chaos and especially how Sauron dies.... Oh! But how coula I forget?! I should have started with one of the most breath-taking moments - the Music of the Ainur!

Occupation: I'm an English language teacher and translator, who hates teaching and loves translating. Looking however for an occupation in the field of international relations.

Other Interests: Literature, Writing, computers and Internet (although I do not understand too much but love learning!)

Favorite Album: Bee Gees; Julio Iglesias; Enya; the soundtracks of "Gladiator" and "LOTR" - movies

Favorite Movie: Gladiator... Well there are some others of course :)

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology: For the moment I expect to find my way of understanding Tolkien's philosophy.
Well, now you know me :D
Pleased to meet you!
Hey, how about some photos?

Last edited:

Celebithil

Senior Journeyman
Reaction score
Name: Celebithil-made it up awhile ago I think it means Silver-Sword or something but I don't really remember

Rank: Senior Journeyman (rereading The Hobbit after doing horrible on that part of the test)

Favorite Work of Tolkien: Silmarillion with LoTR and The Hobbit right behind it:D

Favorite Middle-earth Moment: Fingolfin's fight against Morgoth

Occupation: Student of Marine Biology/Biotechnology (haven't decided either way)

Other interest: Reading other fantasy books, (Dragonlance, Last of the Rensahi, WoT though its getting a bit stale and my new obsession the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King along with others) playing Football American Style even though I suck at it, Wiffle Ball, loving the good ole Red Sox this year is the year, hating the Yankees (Spawn of the True Dark Lord Morgoth Himself), an avid Macintosh user and Bill Gates hater and many other things can't think of right now.

Music: Most anything except countyr my taste goes from Frank Sinatra to Disturbed, Pink Floyd to Jay-Z almost anything.

Previously My Favorite Non-Tolkien Movie- Braveheart/Matrix

Favorite Movie-Boondog Saints I just saw this movie tonight and Man Alive was it good. Everyone should go out and see it right now.

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology: I want others to discuss my interest in the great works of JRR and people to listen to my ideas about them. As something of a sidenote I'm interested in all the Hall of Seminar/Lectures and all that stuff but it's a lot of stuff to read and was wondering if someone could direct me where to start.

Life goals: Own and Live in a Castle, Publish a Book, Not die ere the Red Sox win a World Series(don't worry its happening this year), kill the Devil and Watch as Microsoft goes bankrupt and Macintosh's take over the computer market.

Last edited:

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
Name: Morgoth
Favourite Tolkien Book: The Silmarillion
Greatest Middle Earth Moment: Destroying the Two Trees *evil laugh*. No, I love 'The Ride of The Rohirrim'
Other Interest: BMX, Music, Walking
Current Favourite Film: Return Of The King
What I get out of the GOT: I like feeling like I know quite a bit about Tolkien's works, and that I can contribute stuff that other like-minded people can enjoy
Goals In Life: To walk the beautiful places of the Earth, and never stop. And to write a good screenplay of The Silmarillion.
Photo: On the forum photo album

Last edited:

gate7ole

Reaction score
Lists! I love them

Name: gate7ole
Favourite Work of Tolkien: Silmarillion
Favourite ME moment: a. the coming of Turgon at Nirnaeth, b. the death of Théodred (in UT), c. Sam’s return home after Frodo leaves to Aman.
Favourite Elf/Men/Ainu: Fingolfin/Elendil/Ulmo.
Other interests: sci-fi literature, cinema and hanging with friends at pubs, football (watching and playing)
Favourite Album: Nevermind and Ten (sorry FoolOfATook, but this is PJ’s best album)
Favourite Movie: Godfathers, Seven
Famous person I would like to meet (besides Tolkien): The first Homo Sapiens (to see how much we have evolved)
One question that I would ask Tolkien about ME: What will happen to the Elves after the Final Battle?
My aim this week: to finish my lecture coming in three days!!!
Favourite GoT member: ;)

Ecthelion

Reaction score
Name: Ecthelion

Favorite Tolkien Work: Lord of The Rings

Fav Book of LOTR: Return of The King

Fav ME Moment: Whole Battle of Pellenor Fields

Other Intrests: Playing basketball and playing who can make the teacher yell the loudest.

Favorite Album: "Maladroit" by Weezer

Fav Movie: Monty Python and The Holy Grail (but I'm hoping Bruce Almighty will replace MPATHG)

What would I ask Tolkien about ME: DID BALROGS HAVE WINGS?!??!?!?!?!?!

I would want to meet Jim Carrey, he's hilarious.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Name:Gil-Galad

Position:Charter member,but I would like to become deputy guildmaster of something someday :(

Rank:I'm having a test for changing my rank to Sr.Journeyman.

Favorite Work of Tolkien's:The Silmarillion

Favorite Book About Tolkien:I'm in process of reading them.

Favorite Middle-earth MomentNirnaeth Arnoediad

I graduate this spring from English Language School "Plovdiv" and now I'm looking for a university in Europe where I can continue my education in the field of political science

Other Interests:.Music,soccer,history,partying. and many many more........but the most important is LIVING!

Favorite Album:
Massive Attack-"Protection",Jeff Mills-"Purpose maker",Enigma"The Screen Behind The Mirror" and many many other albums

Favorite Movie:
They are so many:"Heat","Willow","The Green Mile","Top Gun","Seven","12 Monkeys","The Godfather"

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology:friends,cognition about Tolkien's world,fun and .........and......I don't know what else

Last edited:

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
Name: gilgalad (not to be confused with Gil-Galad, the other guy!)

Fav. Tolkien Work: The Silmarillion

Fav. ME moment: Dagor Aglareb/ Hurin's defiance of Morgoth

Fav. Elf/Man/Ainu: Feanor/ Tour/ Varda

Interests: Taekwon-do, Gaelic Football, Reading.

Favourite Album(s): Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (The Smashing Pumpkins), Queen - The Platinum Collection (Queen), RATM (Rage Against the Machine), Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik/ By the Way (RHCP).

Fav. Movie: "The Fellowship of the Ring", "The Great Escape", "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly", The Matrix, The Magnificent 7.

Person I would Like to Meet: Billy Corgan(Samshing Pumkins/Zwan). I'll be meeting RHCP on August 23 when they play at Slane Castle in Ireland along with Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age. I HAVE BACKSTAGE PASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
Name: Anamatar Araratar Avataratar Anamaratar;)

Position: Charter Member:D

Favorite Work of Tolkien's: Unfinished Tales

Favorite Book About Tolkien: ehhh?

Favorite Middle-earth: The Eotheod coming to the aid of Ciriol on the field of the Celebrant.

Other Interests: Music sports, video games, animation, all that junk;)

Favorite Album: meh. I prefer singles

Favorite Movie: I am fond of Rush Hour 1!

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology: friends and deeper knowledge of Tolkien's works.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Name: Eledhwen - a descriptive name given to Morwen.

A Christian. My Church website: www.sfc-uk.org

Occupation: I'm the secretary of the local Chamber of Commerce.

Family: Husband (Maths and chess!), grown-up son (computers) and daughter (music and art), and three young daughters age 10, 8 and 6.

Interests: Reading, writing (just completed a screenwriting course), walking - preferably on mountains, but the Downs will do, singing and playing violin (not both at the same time - the violin wobbles), drawing and painting (when I get the chance).

Guild Rank: None. I may get round to being tested... maybe.

Favourite Tolkien literature? It's all good, I like the FotR at Crickhollow, where Frodo learns his secret isn't so secret after all; and I like the story of Beren and Luthien (incl BolT version). For big drama, the Fall of Gondolin as described in BolT2.

I like the films Beleg_Strongbow listed - they're pacey and well-timed. I like the LotR films too, as films. No all-time favourite though.

Taste in music - anything dynamic and good. Also some quiet stuff. So - Tchaikowsky, Hildegard von Bingen, Status Quo, Enya...

My aims for this year are: 1. to get my screenplay portfolio sorted; 2. to get plans for an arts centre underway in my town; 3. to go somewhere interesting this summer.

My aim for this week: To go for a pub lunch in the Eagle and Child, Oxford EDIT: (achieved - even though the car broke down!)

(I had to delete and remake this post as it wouldn't let me change the photo!)

Attachments

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
Name: Hirila

Position: Charter member and Deputy Guildmaster on Membership

Favorite Work of Tolkien's: Roverandom

Favorite Book About Tolkien: J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter plus many details from many many other books I have sneaked into but not read entirely

Favorite Middle-earth Moment: When Eowyn fell in love with Faramir, she deserved him well.

Other Interests: literature, classical music, chocolate, aerobics, ju-jutsu, spending time with Gwanuor (my boyfriend, I gave him an elvish name)

Favorite Album: "Swing when you're winning" Robbie Williams, Dvorak's eighth symphony

Favorite Movie: Star Wars, Matrix, Gladiator and silly romantic films (e.g. Rosamunde Pilcher films)

What do you want to get out of the Guild of Tolkienology: Talking and discussion different aspects of Tolkien and his works.

Last edited:

Mrs. Maggott

Home is where the cat is
Reaction score
Mrs. Maggott

Religion: I am an Orthodox Christian; my husband is a Deacon in the Orthodox Church in America and I sing in the choir (and haven't been shot at yet!).

Position or Rank in the Guild: None at the moment. I want to take some test, but I keep forgetting to do it - and that does not bode well for my eventual placement.

Occupation: Artist/Craftsman/Iconographer (paint, fabric, stained glass); also run a legal typing service.

Married with 2 children (daughter 37, son 33)

Ethnic background: Celtic, English, Hobbit (and maybe a little troll...)

Favorites Composers: Ralph Vaughn Williams, Alan Hovanhess, Jean Sibelius, Celtic music, soundtracks.

Favorite Books: Tolkien, medieval history, mysteries (Robert Van Gulik) the Harry Potter books, lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of books......

Animals: favorite: cats but I have a Peke; I love all animals but I can live far away from spiders and other creepy crawlies (except ladybugs, lightening bugs and butterflies). However, I do love reptiles (the non-poisonous variety).

Films: I love all the old, B sci-fi B&W films from the 50s. I like monstor movies, but I hate these "splatter films". A good scary film (the original Psycho) is fine, but many of these films are just disgusting. Some of their directors have Mr. Jackson's problem: they have never learned that less is often more.

What do I hope to do this year? Probably reach 63 without falling apart - but winning the lottery would be nice!

samjor

Reaction score
samjor

Name:Samjor

Dont believe in God

Single with 1 child (son 5yrs old)

Faourite book: The Hobbit so far

Interests: Reading, Internet, acoustic guiterand a new interest in Tolkien.

Favourite Album at the Moment:Coldplay A rush of blood to the head

Favorite flim: The Godfather Part 2

I would like to use the guild as a means of educating myself in the history of Tolkien Lore.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I've got a lot to smile about Elennainie! Can we see a photo when your hair's pink (not very medieval/Anglo Saxon!). I have a friend who does Medieval re-enactments - he travels around the country going to the actual sites of battles etc.

Elennainie

Reaction score
I've got a lot to smile about Elennainie!
I'm very glad you do! :)

Can we see a photo when your hair's pink (not very medieval/Anglo Saxon!).
If I'm brave enough, sure! Well, who knows what those Anglo Saxons REALLY did for fun...

I have a friend who does Medieval re-enactments - he travels around the country going to the actual sites of battles etc.
Cool, I'd love to see that. What culture/time period does he portray? Is he a knight? In our group, we have real knights with shiny silver armor and everything and they really wack each other up-side the head, but the "swords" are rattan, not sharp metal, so nobody gets killed! ;)

Mrs. Maggott

Home is where the cat is
Reaction score
Well, the early "English" - Angles, Anglo-Saxons, Picts and Celts - all painted themselves blue with woad if I remember correctly. Mel Gibson did it for Braveheart although certainly by the time of Wallace it was centuries after such decorative 'war paint' was being used. I think it is more about the time of the Romans and before that the custom was used.

But, who knows? If Queen Boadicea (sp?) had dyed her hair pink, maybe she would have driven the Romans from the British Isles! :p

Elennainie

Reaction score
...getting disturbing picture of mad woman with blue face and pink hair!!!:eek: :eek: I want to hear the rest of the Guild's bio's too, hope everybody posts here! :)

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be great if we could get everyone's profile up here. It was an excellant idea for a thread, well done FoAT.

Thread suggestions